Anybody ever use Rosetta Stone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thing.. set... junk.... you know where im going with this... calling the bro for ya now it was his

fucking muzzy is awsome.

watched that in german class a lot in highschool.

English is pretty hard because it does not make any damn sense!
It's all about rules, learn the rules and then go from there.

French, Italian, Spanish.... meh, all about the same, it's just how your mind processes it.

Try learning any dialect of Chinese, Vietnamese, I also hear farsi is fun to learn.

Once you get into tonal stuff.... knowing that "ma" could mean 4 different things depending on how you say it and that most every other word also has x many different meanings depending on if its a rising sound, falling sound, falling then rising sound, or just a very flat blunt sound...

Anywho as far as Rosetta Stone goes, I have the full Latin America Spanish 1 2 and 3. Its a good program but it will only take you so far. It doesn't tell you translations but thats a good thing, you really don't want to know the translations before you understand a good bit about it, IMO it slows you do because you will talk in English but try to speak in Spanish (in my case)

So the first thing most everyone does is translate it word for word, and that is no good, Rosetta Stone removes that all together by just showing you a ball, and calling it a ball, then shows you a kid with a ball, and will teach you how to say the kid has a ball, again if its translated it wont make a lot of sense and will just slow the learning process down.

I'm hungry
I have hunger

are you hungry?
do you have hunger?

again, straight up translation = bad, its rarely in the correct form, while it might be understood you will always be that outside speaker who can't speak worth a damn and say funny stuff.

Rosetta Stone to get you off the ground, once you understand the basics add...
Study guides
Kids books
and
Flash Cards.
Best thing of all, find people to speak with and don't be worried about looking stupid or sounding dumb, that's half the fun.

I'm a very big fan of kids books, I have a bunch of Spanish kids books like curious George, very basic but it IMO works wonders.

So to answer your question, Rosetta Stone as a single program with nothing else.... just another program that will waste your time. It really does need to be paired up with other forms of learning. I do feel it's a great program to get you use to the order of words and how you ask questions and so on.

from what ive heard, english is the easiest to learn.
my girlfriend says its easy, and its her second language.

from what ive seen about other languages, english is a whole lot simpler.
you dont need to change the word based on sex or age(kid talking to an adult for example).
there isnt a shit load of words with just the slightest thing changed meaning the same thing.. ect.

Common misconception.

It might have been because it was her first 2nd language, but coming from my step mom and a couple friends where english is their 3rd or 4th language behind things like hungarian, tagalog, japanese, arabic, etc, its pretty difficult to learn because of the lack of logic, and the irregular or specific spelling.

I speak a good amount of spanish, and I hope to pick up italian after I've mastered spanish.

Common misconception.

It might have been because it was her first 2nd language, but coming from my step mom and a couple friends where english is their 3rd or 4th language behind things like hungarian, tagalog, japanese, arabic, etc, its pretty difficult to learn because of the lack of logic, and the irregular or specific spelling.

I speak a good amount of spanish, and I hope to pick up italian after I've mastered spanish.

Rules... its all about the rules... =)

Why the hell must we learn stupid sayings to follow English?

I before E except after C

um what?

i cant even think of one word were that rule applies.. lol

So the first thing most everyone does is translate it word for word, and that is no good, Rosetta Stone removes that all together by just showing you a ball, and calling it a ball, then shows you a kid with a ball, and will teach you how to say the kid has a ball, again if its translated it wont make a lot of sense and will just slow the learning process down.

So to answer your question, Rosetta Stone as a single program with nothing else.... just another program that will waste your time. It really does need to be paired up with other forms of learning. I do feel it's a great program to get you use to the order of words and how you ask questions and so on.

yeah, direct translations suck.
and like i said, i play burnout a lot online, and the four main languages are english(uk and us), french and german.
so i could get good practice from that.

Didnt read everyone elses comments but french is a hard lanugauge to learn..... still having trouble with english lmao

Try Chinese :)

Once you get into tonal stuff.... knowing that "ma" could mean 4 different things depending on how you say it and that most every other word also has x many different meanings depending on if its a rising sound, falling sound, falling then rising sound, or just a very flat blunt sound...

Actually, 5 things... there are 5 tones in Chinese- plus it's contextual too- so the exact same pronunciation can be several completely different words.

I agree with the link that someone posted. Chinese grammar is extremely logical, but the reading and writing royally suck... and there's no alphabet.

Try Chinese :)

Actually, 5 things... there are 5 tones in Chinese- plus it's contextual too- so the exact same pronunciation can be several completely different words.

I agree with the link that someone posted. Chinese grammar is extremely logical, but the reading and writing royally suck... and there's no alphabet.

All depends on the dialect. What a lot of people don't understand is there's no such thing as Chinese.... there's 100s of Chinese dialects....

mandarin being the most popular?

receive makes sense.
either doesnt.
shouldnt it be iether?

You're missing the point, it's just one of the many random games that gets played by normal people who can't remember how to spell a word. It's bad enough that there's a saying for it.

All depends on the dialect. What a lot of people don't understand is there's no such thing as Chinese.... there's 100s of Chinese dialects....

Mandarin is the official main dialect of China. There are hundreds, but Mandarin is it.

I speak German fluently. If you want to learn you need to take a class. I think those cd sets are worthless. You have no one to practice with. I can help if you want. By the way, whoever tried typing German in this discussion is an idiot. Ich kann Deutsch und Englisch sprechen, lesen und schreiben.

lol
i know with that theres no one to practice with, but it will teach me the basics so i can practice with someone.
ill PM you once i start.

Back