anybody had probs with aggressive caster settings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

Just wondering if anyone's had similar probs- I set my caster to about +3.5 earlier this year to give a little performance edge when cornering (especially autoxing)...
I've begun to notice more & more since then that the steering/handling feels a little sloppy/mushy. It almost feels like I've got big fat sidewall passenger tires on the car- almost like a big fat slow lethargic feel. Dunno if the alignment has something to do with it or if I've got a problem somewhere else I haven't found yet (worn parts, etc)...??

Here''s more specs if it helps at all:
1994 Civic EX coupe
205/45/16 Parada Spec II all 4 corners
Eibach Pro-Kit springs fr/rr
KYB AGX normally set to 3fr/2rr for street
Ingalls camber adjusters fr/rr
Front camber -1.8*
Front toe out a hair (within factory spec)
Rear camber -2.0*
Rear toe in a hair (within factory spec)

anybody have any thoughts?

greater angle of positive caster (suspension pointing toward the rear of the car) will allow the steering wheel to return to center very quickly and with greater force. Lower angles allow for easier turn-in and less dive in heavy braking.

I don't know how switching to negative caster would improve handling, but I know that your car will actually not dive under heavy braking.

with positive caster, supposedly, acceleration effects on the suspension is less dramatic, such as left lift off. it also, supposedly, offers greater high speed stability and overall handling effects.

if you're wobbly, perhaps 3.5* is just too far? that i really don't know

3.5 should be OK. I used to have my UCAs swapped between left and right and it yielded apporximately that much caster, although made no difference in performance in street tires or Hoosiers. You may want to look into your camber settings though, as that is all backwards for performance driving. With my autox setup, I run 2.80* negative F camber and 1.9* rear negative camber. Also, try zero rear toe and 1/8th toe out up front, it will make a world of difference over.

My advice would be to check all of your bushings, tie rod ends(inner and outer) ball joints and wheel bearings. If that all checks out OK, pull the caster back to stock setting and go from there.

yeah i think i'm just gonna say f the caster for this year and crank the camber in to around 3*-3.5* or so both fr/rr...

that way i should be able to squeeze 225s on there also so win/win i hope

Back