anybody know how to build a good resume?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I used tabs carefully to make it easy to read without looking cluttered, so I guess thats what i would suggest is pay attention to indents and tabs to show importance of information. Too much of it, or different spacing on them makes it look cluttered.
:werd: white space is good, organization is good.

unrelated to your post dustin: i wanna punch people that use italics excessively in their resumes. so i'd suggest using 'em sparingly in case your resume reviewer is a freak like me :D

microsoft word has a good resume wizard. I used it to build my resume, and it turned out great. It fills up exactly 1 page. It has an Objective, Education, Awards Received, Work Experience, Summary of Qualifications, and References. I've gotten some good compliments on it as well...

I have the world's only Executive position resume with NO college education. If you need some help, let me know.

Umm.

Anyone can be Chief Executive Officer. All they have to do is start a corporation.

lots of good info, celerity, i may hit you up considering im going to be delivering the resumes to businesses with no education past high school. (where do you work?)
i still havnt figured out what i want to do for the rest of my life, figured it would be a waste to go to college without a path.

but what about using a parchment style paper, nothing really dark but a nice color to it??

and the objective thing was a problem for me too, i just cant think of something thats not cliche and typed on every resume.
i was thinking of making two resumes, 1 with the standard objective you usually get, the other stating- Objective: power and money.

just see which gets more response. lol.

ok, so 1 page. dont clutter. use points responsibly. also pointy mainly at mangerial exp.
i have no education, but damn near every job ive had i was in a position of management.

oh yeah...be prepared to have 5-6 versions of your resume around; sometimes you gotta tailor the resume for a specific field, or a specific job. think in synonyms too, to keep the word pool interesting/relevant: management, managed, leader, led, team, teamwork...that kinda thing.

threadjack, i gotta tell ya that my first job out of college was thanks to my resume floating around in one of IBM's resume databases for almost two years. freaked me when i went to interview fo'real after doing a pseudo interview at a job fair after graduating, and found out they were working from the resume i'd pitched at a job fair my sophomore year. IBM had you interview with 5 managers, finally the third one i asked to see the resume they were looking at because i'd be talking about stuff on my post-graduation resume and they'd look at me funny.

/jack.

hell, i wouldn't suggest printing it at all. give 'em a .doc or .pdf

maybe, i was planning on going around to dif businesses one day, dressed in a nice suit and tie. introduce myself to the bigwigs, and hand them the resume. chat a bit, make an impression, then be on my way.
if im not able to actually speak with the HNIC i will do my best to find their fax number and fax it to them, or email?

you're an idiot. lol

no big wig has time for a walk in hopeful.

if someone just walked into my office and handed me a resume', i'd toss it in the trash in front of them.

find an opening on monster, dice, local paper, whatever.... then submit your resume to it.

eh, i guess that makes since.

im gonna use some of the connections ive made at the job im at now, get some names and numbers.
figure out whos looking and whatnot,
but yeah, i'll put it on monster and such.

do those sites actually work? ive never heard of anybody (that ive met) get a job that way.

putting your res on monster doesn't do shit IMO unless you want temp recruiters calling you all day.

search for a job, and submit to them.

execs don't have time to wade through monster... you find them

I disagree.

My good buddy was working at Alltell and they were closing the branch he was at. He was low-level customer service management and needed a fall back job. He put his resume on monster, and sure enough a month in got a call from some random company. Turns out they're the leader in cardiac technology and voila big time job at a leading company. Wears a suit to work everyday, has no college education and makes a very decent income.

i'm not saying it won't happen, but very rarely will it.

A) it costs money to post an ad on monster (like $500 bucks... its not cheap)
B) it costs even more money if you want access to browse resume's (don't know the cost off hand)

sure, its pocket change for a big firm, but smaller firms (and where the best jobs are IMO) won't pay it, nor have time for it.

ok, so research whos hiring. then submit.
browse the paper, ask around, and use connections to find open positions.

walk-ins arent welcome. right?

im not very good with searching for jobs, most of mine have fallen in my lap, or were bullshit restaurant jobs.

word. Walk in's aren't good for an actualy position that you want. Networking is key(word of mouth) but also browsing ads and such is great.

you're an idiot. lol

no big wig has time for a walk in hopeful.

if someone just walked into my office and handed me a resume', i'd toss it in the trash in front of them.

find an opening on monster, dice, local paper, whatever.... then submit your resume to it.

Well, yeah.. but you're a douchebag and I wouldn't work for you for more than one week anyway.

You dig your own grave.

It's also important to clean up any online space that you have.. like Hondaswap. There was that girl from New Haven CT that contacted me here because her boss found me, talking about her, and asked her about it.

Clean up your myspace or whatever, and make sure you have a clean online appearance.

Back