Anybody know much about cable tv?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1995EGGuy

Hey, i got digital cable and use to have cable internet but my signal was too weak so it hardly connected. then the tech said i needed to rewire the coax cables in my house.. thats too pricey. anybody know what a cheaper way other than rewiring toget my cable looking good?

most cable companies will re-wire one jack into the house as part of basic installation (i think its like 79 bucks here with a 2 yr contract or some shit). Thats through comcast...

man...my signals were too weak as well...so we got the cable company to come out and fix it...i know for sure they had to put in an updated amplifier...

From what I know about cable the farther the tv is from the source and the number of splitters that you have drastically reduces the signal. Also things like knics in the wires/loose connections also effect the cable signal. I would try to reduce the number of splitters and the distance of cable involved. Also I would call out the cable company they should be able to help you determine exactly what is going on for very little cost. They want to keep you as a customer.

werd on the splitters

i would try your cable modem at the closest point you can, before splitters or any of that shit...

you could also just run the wire from the box in a window or some shit to see if it even makes a diffrence?

im an x cable service tech didnt pay well enuff

questions

did they replace conectors on the ends of cable almost 50 percent of problems are due to piss poor jobs people do installing fittings

change all spliters in the house to ones with a 5-1000mhz or greater frequenicy 5-900 wont work as the have cheap internals and have poor shielding and let in to much noise.

if this dosent work go buy your own cable you need RG6 ( if you live close to things like high tension wires and cell towers im sorry but you are going to have to fork up the money for RG6 Quad shield cable now that you have ran the shit call them and make them hook it up and install fittings dont buy your own they will mostlikely not be good enuff do to being a crimp conector and not a compression type fitting.

Did you all know that smash ing a cable will change the impedance and make it almost unuseable standard rg6 is 75ohm and if you just smash it you with get some thing like 14ohm

Also just so that you can impress your friend with useless knowledge the white foam in the center of cable is nitrogen injected and the good cables on the market are copper clad alum center conducters

I have a 5 way splitter with a 5-1000 cause i got mad tvs and i got rg 59 coax running. im not sure about the connectors tho. my house is 11 years old im not sure that should be a problem. my cable company is cablevision.

the rg59 is more than likely the problem it coud also be the signal loss on that 5 way is probaly 9-10db per leg and rg59 drops high frequencies like a mo fo above ch46 and cablemodems run from ch80-116 ususaly and the return path is like 10mhz which is sub 0ch and the loss on it is un noticeable

try to get a new line to the modem and your digital box

an use a spliter configuration like this if you need 5 outlets active

come in from main line with a un balanced 3way 3.5 one leg and 7 on the others to a balanced 3way if that wont work buy a amp

hook the cable modem and the digital box up to the 7db loss legs and the rest of the tvs to the other 3

make sure if you buy a amp that it is a forward 5-1000mhz and has a passive return on it as most amps will block the return signal and then your modem will never synch up with the server

try a amp like this

these are the exact ones that we installed at insight when i worked there

eBay: brand new electroline drop amp cable house amp (item 280034840359 end time Oct-13-06 15:34:53 PDT)

Cheaper way to do it? Go buy some coax and rewire it yourself. Should have fun in the attic for a little bit.

I never said use the crimpers. I said run the wire yourself, and when comcast shows up have him crimp the ends.

But I would think Comcast would use the same store bought items, I dunno how many times I've gone to radioshack for store bought phone splitters/crimping items for businesses.

I say do it yourself. RadioShack and probably most home outlet stores have the tools to do it yourself. If its an obscene amount of cable you need, find a bulk box of it, its going to be cheaper then buying peices with the ends already on it, shop around. Home Depot, Lowes, RadioShack, Best Buy, Circuit City, all sell some of it, although I usually find RadioShack has the oddball stuff. Use the least amount of splits possible, every time you split it, you loose 3dB of signal, which equates to half the signal going each direction. If you do have to split it alot, try to make the least amount of splits cable go to the largest tv in the house, or your digital cable if your having problems. Use a CRIMPER for crimp on ends, don't use pliers, if you crush the cable to basically destroy the proporties of it. They sell a cutter at a few places, you put it on the end of the wire, twist it around and it cuts the wire perfect leaving the braid, dielectric and sheith the exact lengths (once its set up). Don't nail the cable, or kink it either. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back