1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody want to help me with my resume'?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by ScrapinSi, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Well... After working at my company for 5 years.... I got a job offer recommendation from my brother in law... So it's time to dust off the old resume...

Anybody want to help me go over it, clean it up, and make it look all pretty? IM me at scrapinsi2003 on AIM or Yahoo... I'll be online all night... I don't really want to post it up on here for all to look at...

And just to add... It's working for an insurance company that a certain leader of this board's parent works at. [​IMG]

2. ludegirl

ludegirl Senior Member

I have some quick tips to help you out (I just got done with a buttload of interviews and had a couple of offers, this summer I will be an intern at one of the Big Four accounting firms):

1. Word has templates that are very useful, as do other sites
    2. use "action words" to describe past experiences
    3. Only include what's important, it should never be longer than a page

Ok, I know that's totally basic stuff but you can probably find a lot of good examples online to rip off.

3. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

See... I heard a Resume should never be longer than 2 pages.... Mine is about 1 3/4, and I don't know how I would really shrink it.

4. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

1 page, tops. if its more than that, it won't get looked at anyway.

5. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Thanks for the help B... I took your advice on everything... And emailed it in to my insider.... [​IMG]

6. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

Send me a copy, PM me for my email address. I look at resume's all the time and can give you some feedback.

Oh, No cover letter and preferabbly 1 page. It can be longer as long as what's on the first page has the reader interested in who you are and what value you will bring the company.

7. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

B and I chopped it down to 1 page, no cover letter. I already submitted it... PM me your email, and i'll send you a copy for your review too...

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

what else better to do at 5am when yo can't sleep? lol

9. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

For a 5 year stint at a company, I would stay at 1 page covering only relevant experience. And I say "relevant" because you're a professional.

If you had 5 years of say, painting houses, then I would say stick all of your experience. But as a professional seeking a job in the same field, keep it all relevant.

I have a 6 page resume that I filter content out of for each company I apply to. I keep it down to 2 pages (FULL). My friend actually gets places with a 4 page resume (He's always got offers, I dunno how)

-> Steve

10. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

...because you don't have to follow all those guidelines if you make it interesting and you're good at what you do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted