Anyone do any kayaking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Last weekend my brother rented some kayaks and we spent a few hours on the Maumee. There's a landing at Kreiger park, and we went down to the Landin Rd bridge which was about 2-4 miles or so. It was actually a lot more fun than I thought it'd be, even though the river was so low we'd hit bottom a lot. We're both thinking about buying some custom kayaks and making it a regular thing.

Anyone do something like this for fun? I'm planning on re-renting some kayaks and going again this weekend with him.

kayaking is fun. it's more fun when you get a kayak that is suited towards your needs. ie, dont' get a sea kayak and try to go down a river.

also, take a class. there are a lot of skills and techniques that need practicing to become efficiaent and safe. like leaning into rocks rather than away from them. leaning away will cause you to flip in the rapids.

:withstupid:

classes are well worth it

as far as the yak goes
there is no "perfect" kayak
you need to look at where you plan on using it and what the conditions are like
for instance
a kayak designed for rapids will SUCK BALLS on a lake or in a calm river
a kayak designed for lakes or touring will not work as well in a river with rough water

longer thinner kayaks tend to be faster and track better but are also less stable for beginners
shorter kayaks will almost always be easier to maneuver but will not track as well
wider kayaks will have higher initial stability and feel better for beginners
the design of the bottom of the kayak also has a lot to do with how it tracks... flatter bottoms usually will not track as straight and will require more steering input than a more V shaped bottom

there are a LOT of options out there... if you can, try to rent different kayaks next time... if there are any other rental shops around you try to use them as well... you want to use as many different types and brands as you can before you decide to plunk down your cash
it is just as important to figure out what you DONT want, as it is to figure out what you DO want
test drive everything you can

look for info online regarding types of kayaks and their features and uses
the more educated you are as a consumer the less likely you will make a stupid purchase and waste time and money

also talk to the people who work at the kayak shops, once you get an idea of what it is you are looking for they will be able to point you in directions that are likely to get you into the right kayak for your uses

i love kayaking, but for me it is probably different than most of you... the only thing i use my sit-on-top ocean kayak for is fishing flat calm lakes or inshore saltwater. i like kayak fishing because you can go where no one else can, and its super stealthy.

the advice these guys are giving have pretty much covered it. and you should just buy your own so you can take it all over the place and explore.

got the xterra stuck with 2 kayaks on top... the only time it ever got stuck.

mosquitolagoon006.jpg

a nice snook on light tackle in my yak

kayaksnook002.jpg

early morning topwater bassin

5lbbass002.jpg

taking a pit stop in the mangroves

kayaksnook004.jpg

out on turkey lake with my old lady... couple years ago when our kayaks were new.

turkeylake2004.jpg

i love kayaking, theres a couple of places by here, we usually do the 9 mile run.
but,the closest river to us is low. we got stuck in some places.

next time we are going to a different river that is supposed to have some decent rapids. not hardcore i will kill you rapids, just some fun ones for regular joes.

my buddy just sold his 2 kayaks with paddles for $450, Mrs taco was a little ticked since she loves to kayak.

I do a lot of different kind of kayaking like other people said above. One of my favorite things to do actually. Its relaxing, enduring, and calming, while giving you a rush, some exercise, and some scenery.

I do a lot of different kind of kayaking like other people said above. One of my favorite things to do actually. Its relaxing, enduring, and calming, while giving you a rush, some exercise, and some scenery.

Thats why I had decided to go last weekend, and I'm glad I did. I got a good bit of exercise getting myself going pretty quick, my brother just mozied along.

Back