Anyone else being randomly logged out?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I thought it was my netbook since I don't use much space for cookies, but it just happened on this desktop at work, and it's happened on other peoples notebooks and desktops that I've used in the past.

I'll be looking at a thread, back out to the members lounge and it'll log me out for no reason whatsoever.

what browser are you using?

i had this problem early last week with firefox...

WARNING: This will log you out of ALL sites till you log into them again!
You may also lose certain site preferences that depend on cookies. You may have to configure those again. These would not be settings that are stored on the site's server. They would be settings specific to your PC and not set if you used the same site from another computer. While it might be a bit of a bother to reconfigure them, it's not a common thing to store site preferences this way and it should only affect a very small number of sites, if any at all.
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Google search. If you have configured it to turn safe search off for images, set it to show more than 10 results per page, or to open links in a new tab or window, you will have to set it again.
You will not lose any saved password information stored in the password manager. You will only lose all of your cookies.
Ready?

1. Make sure Firefox is closed.
  2. Go here:
    • On 2k/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(your name)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
    • On Vista/Win7: C:\Users\(your name)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\
    • On Mac OS X: ~/Library/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/ or ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/
    • On UNIX/Linux: ~/.mozilla/firefox/
  3. In that folder you will find a folder that has a bunch of random letters & numbers for a name and ends with ".default".
  4. Open that folder and find the file named "cookies.sqlite".
  5. Delete "cookies.sqlite".
  6. Run Firefox and log into all your sites again.
Firefox will create a new cookies.sqlite file with the necessary info and you shouldn't have a problem any more.

check your security settings

sounds like its dumping the cookies

Maybe B is just doing it to my IP address to fuck with me, I know why its doing it on my netbook, but I just find it odd its doing it here.

stupid question time

you do have a check in the "remember me" box right?

Well yeah...

I'll take you through a few times when its happened to me.

I'll come home and open up my browser, read through a few threads and then let it sit open. Sometimes I'll go into NWS and look at a few threads, when i click back/or hit the nws link at the top, it'll ask me for the nws password. So I'll put that in, read a few more things then click on the members lounge link at the top. At that point it logs me completely out, so I'll have to reenter my name/password to make any posts, but I won't have to re log in the nws password to go back in there.

Well yeah...

I'll take you through a few times when its happened to me.

I'll come home and open up my browser, read through a few threads and then let it sit open. Sometimes I'll go into NWS and look at a few threads, when i click back/or hit the nws link at the top, it'll ask me for the nws password. So I'll put that in, read a few more things then click on the members lounge link at the top. At that point it logs me completely out, so I'll have to reenter my name/password to make any posts, but I won't have to re log in the nws password to go back in there.
bet it's your roommate doin it since you wont join his minitruck forum.:p

If I sit idle it will log me out. I think it's 15 minutes or more without clicking a link or navigating around the site. Doesn't happen often, but since I use FF, it remembers my user name and pw and logs me back in with the click of a button.

I haven't updated the site in a LONG time. (we're on 3.7.2. .3, .4, .5, .6, 3.8.0 rc1, rc2, 3.8.0 gold, 3.8.1 and 3.8.2 have all come out since i last updated... probably close to a year).

Since nothing's changed, and i'm not seeing it, i'm going to continue to point the finger at user error.

It does it to me too. I haven't clicked the remember me box, but I've had to log in twice to post something on mobile a couple times. I log in, I type my post, I click submit, and I have to log in again. same thing happens with me with nws.

B i have been having this problen since i would say about he time you switched servers it does it to me in FF IE and even on my new NETBOOK

just wanted to let everyone know EVERYTHING IS OK!!!!
nah for real..i havent had any logging out problems since this weekends downtime..anyone else in the clear?

Back