Anyone else see a problem with this?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Point granted, but I believe you should do some more research on addiction. Sure people choose to take that first drink or drug. Who doesn't drink at 19 or their whole life for that matter?. Once you have a drink and if alcoholism is in your genes, you are 4x more likely to inherit the DISEASE of addiction. I know when I started drinking I didn't drink heavily for 2 years then I was already screwed by that point, then alcohol led me to drugs and shit. I am off everything now for 3months and couldn't be happier though. I'm saying it's not like you wake up and say to yourself "hey I think being an alcoholic would be a great life for the rest of my life". Hell no!. It is a progressive DISEASE that you develop and don't even realize. My point is stated so I will allow anyone to share their opinion that they rightfully have.

Are your parents/grandparents alcoholics? My parents are, my old man went to rehab shortly after I was born. And guess what, I drink in moderation. Because I know that I have a propensity for addiction and I take proactive measures to insure that I do not end up in some alley way crapping myself and begging for change. I have never done a hard drug ever. I have plenty of opportunity but again, I decided that I didn't want to spend my life doing horrible favors for another it.

It is everyone's responsibility to know if addiction is a problem in their family, if growing up you noticed that your grandfather smelled funny all the time and liked to smack grandma around you should probably take that into consideration when your an adult.

That was my attitude at first, then it honestly got progressively worse. My grandparents are alcoholic, my dad is a really mean alcoholic, used to be sooo abusive all the time. I blamed him for a lot of my drinking. The moment I touched a hard drug I was gone for a month. I hate addiction, it destroys many peoples lives in the making. It seems like your best friend when it is your most absolute worst enemy ever. I am glad to hear you never touched hard drugs, but just in advice I would personally advise you to really watch it (now that seems like I'm in your business and I really am not trying to be), I am just concerned for those with alcoholism in their families because I ended up on a dark path that was hard if not impossible at times to get out of. Put it this way everytime I drink and/or get high I feel like killing myself, so for me I am confused at why I did it toward the end, I just simply COULD NOT stop. Btw, I'm only 22 years old with this problem, so never think you are too young!!!.

my dad is a really mean alcoholic, used to be sooo abusive all the time. I blamed him for a lot of my drinking.

Bingo. Quit blaming your dad and making excuses for your problem (It's a disease, I can't help myself, it's not my fault...) Start taking responsibility for your decisions and you can take back control of your situation. As long as it's someone else's fault, you'll never be able to fix it, but once you acknowledge that it's YOUR fault, YOU can do something about it.

Yup. Addiction is in the mind. I've quit smoking 3 times. 2 times I made the decision to start again. I made the choice. A disease didn't. Alcoholism is in my family. For awhile I had issues. I decided that I needed to moderate, I did. I have done hard drugs. I never felt the need to do them. I did them for recreation.

My hypoglycemia is a disease. I take in sugar. My body produces to much insulin. My blood sugar drops. I can't say I'm not going to let my blood sugar drop. It's biological. I can't just decide I'm going to stop. The alcohol, drugs, and smoking I decided to stop or start. Addiction is a disease to the mentally weak.

Bingo. Quit blaming your dad and making excuses for your problem (It's a disease, I can't help myself, it's not my fault...) Start taking responsibility for your decisions and you can take back control of your situation. As long as it's someone else's fault, you'll never be able to fix it, but once you acknowledge that it's YOUR fault, YOU can do something about it.

Hey thanks man, I never want to take responsibilty for my actions, I am a pretty selfish person and I am working on that. I really appreciate your quote I got something out of it. I can't face problems sometime so I go drink, BUT if I take responsibility for my actions maybe that won't be the case. I still believe it is a mental disease but that cop-out can only go on for so long!. Thanks again.

The reason I say and acknowledge that it is a disease is because I just got out of treatment and they showed scientific proof that it is a disease.. They also taught me that I'm not responsible for getting it; however I am responsible for treating it.

Last edited:
Yup. Addiction is in the mind. I've quit smoking 3 times. 2 times I made the decision to start again. I made the choice. A disease didn't. Alcoholism is in my family. For awhile I had issues. I decided that I needed to moderate, I did. I have done hard drugs. I never felt the need to do them. I did them for recreation.

My hypoglycemia is a disease. I take in sugar. My body produces to much insulin. My blood sugar drops. I can't say I'm not going to let my blood sugar drop. It's biological. I can't just decide I'm going to stop. The alcohol, drugs, and smoking I decided to stop or start. Addiction is a disease to the mentally weak.

well said :thumbsup:
this man "gets it"
rep for you

Back