Anyone ever been to Isla Holbox, Mexico?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's so terrible, but so true and so funny.

Its so bad right now, military personnel are barred from going anywhere in Mexico. That should tell you something.
A large part of why they are not allowed to go to Mexico is because most of the young Marines and sailors are fucking dumbasses and they go to TJ to get plastered, then walk back across and drive home. Too many of them were either ending up in trouble in MX or getting a DUI or in a crash trying to drive home.

I'd definitely avoid the border cities, but deeper down in the country it's not the same situation. Yea, the chance that you may get kidnapped is there, but it's not the same as being in Tijuana. Use common sense, don't dress in flashy clothes/jewelry/accessories and keep valuables secured and out of sight at all times and you should be fine.

A large part of why they are not allowed to go to Mexico is because most of the young Marines and sailors are fucking dumbasses and they go to TJ to get plastered, then walk back across and drive home. Too many of them were either ending up in trouble in MX or getting a DUI or in a crash trying to drive home.

I'd definitely avoid the border cities, but deeper down in the country it's not the same situation. Yea, the chance that you may get kidnapped is there, but it's not the same as being in Tijuana. Use common sense, don't dress in flashy clothes/jewelry/accessories and keep valuables secured and out of sight at all times and you should be fine.

Finally some one that actually agrees with me we'll be fine. You can't say this doesn't look like paradise. Our room would be one of the front doors of the yellow building.

MAWIMBI

That looks like paradise, definately a sex on the beach location... But dude you gotta do a Corona Scene while your down there and record it or take a pic of it... But It does look like a good place I would go for sure..

Have you considered The Dominican Republic?, Punta Cana? My Girl and I are going there 9/3-9/9. it will be an all inclusive at the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, its a bit pricey but well worth it we hear. If your going to go anywhere, check out Trip Advisor.com to research hotel ratings from people who actually stayed there.

Have you considered The Dominican Republic?, Punta Cana? My Girl and I are going there 9/3-9/9. it will be an all inclusive at the Majestic Elegance Punta Cana, its a bit pricey but well worth it we hear. If your going to go anywhere, check out Trip Advisor.com to research hotel ratings from people who actually stayed there.

I'm not really looking for an all inclusive place. They have plenty of those in and around Cancun and Playa and Cozumel. I just looked at flying to Punta Cana and its about $600 more for the two of us to fly there instead of Cancun and it takes anywhere from 12-20 hours to get there with layovers. Cancun we'll be there in 5 hours.

We have looked extensively on Trip Advisor and the Hotel Mawimbi has absolutely excellent reviews.

You seem to have your mind made up.

I guess I pretty much have my mind made up. I mean I was pretty sure we were going to go down to the Cancun area, I was looking for information on the area from people who have been there. But most people just want to say "Drug War AAAHHHH" and leave it at that.

Thats fine they have an opinion that allows them to say whatever they want. I don't believe we'll have any trouble and the price point is awesome. Only 5 hours of travel and basically $900 each for airfare, all travel to and from airport and 6 days 5 nights at that hotel with a ocean suite right on the beach with breakfast every day.

And for anyone interested, here are more pictures of the place. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Isla-Mexico/Hotel-Mawimbi-Holbox-%20Mexico/140919089263112?v=photos

Last edited:
I hope everything is awesome down there. Stay safe, and be careful though. Definitely take a lot of pics, its been almost 7 years since I've been there!

You can't say this doesn't look like paradise. Our room would be one of the front doors of the yellow building.

MAWIMBI
That place looks awesome. I've never liked the idea of the resort type places, seems like such a waste of money. This one looks like somewhere I'd like to go. How much is it gonna cost you total for the trip?

Yeah I think it looks pretty sweet. The hotel is going to be about $750 for 5 nights and then flights are about $420 each. So a little under $2000 for flights and the hotel stay. I'll have to get back to you when we go out for like food prices and stuff though I don't assume they'll be that expensive.

Just got back from my trip, and it was awesome. Definitely no safety issues at all. I never at all felt that my safety was ever in jeopardy. Place is absolutely stunning, and definitely a place you are able to relax.

Generally when I go on vacation and come back I feel like I didn't really take a break because I'm always trying to do stuff and have plans. But this place really lets you get a way from it all. Sitting on the beach with a cocktail, and then randomly taking dips in the ocean when you get hot was just outstanding. I'll get some more pricing info and pictures up soon.

that 360 degree picture looks awesome
i'd def be that guy falling out of the hammock and eating sand
i've never had much luck with those damn devil traps

great news that you had a good time.

Here are some pictures from my trip, Ben's Site - Isla Holbox, Mexico, May 2011

Prices on the island were fairly reasonable, though a little more than I expected. The island has several nice restaurants with really good chefs. Average dinner for two was between $400 - $500 pesos, lunches were around $300 pesos.

Drinks were pretty inexpensive around $20 - $30 pesos for anything from a beer to a high end cocktail.

Back