1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever noticed/seen a 99/00 Cougar/Contour 2.5 engine

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by hosmer, Nov 16, 2005.

1. hosmer

hosmer I made the millionth post VIP

I was just out in our yard looking at the 99 Cougar we have and I noticed something *kinda* cool about the motor.

1st thing I saw was it had pulleys on both sides of the engine. Closer inspection revealed the the pulleys on the back (transmission side) were for the water pump which looks like it would be about a 20 minute job to change.

Not thread of the year, but I thought it was a pretty cool design...

If you look close at the pics, you can see the setup (which when in the car, is in the front)

Link to some pics

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

yeah, that's cool. But they aren't the first. The Gordini motor had this, and some older (Like, 20s) had their supercharger pulleys on the back (Duesenberg comes to mind)

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Cadillac's northstars are like that too. Running the water pump off of the other side of the cam, that is..

4. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

which cam? There are 4 on a northstar engine...

5. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

right bank (when looking from the pulley side of the motor), Intake cam if I remember right.. I've changed one before.

6. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

it was dues... they liked to make things that were amazing.

If I ever win some amazingly huge amount of money I plan on restoring a duesey

7. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

did anyone see that show on TLC or whatever about Jay Leno finding this super ultra rare duesenberg in some old lady's garage in southern california?

8. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Yeah, that was pretty funny shit.. How they did the "real life" and the "hollywood" way.. Jay Leno is the self-proclaimed leader of the "more money than brains club". I agree. He is one of the few people who I would say have a car collection that is WAY TOO BIG.

9. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Nope. Jay Leno is one of the only car collectors that I respect because all his vehicles are maintained and ready to be driven at a moment's notice. Heck, he makes a point to drive most of them as often as possible.

It's these "glass case" collectors that don't know what they're missing.

10. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Dont get me wrong, I respect him as a collector because he does have some of the world's nicest cars. and he does drive them and keep them in running order, which is great. But he just has too many for one person. If he was running a museum, that would be cool. Maybe when he dies, his heirs will open one up.

More than likely they will auction them all off and roll in the $$$ giggling like school girls though. People are fucked up like that.

11. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Jay Leno's garage, as far as I know, is open to visitors. Public ? Perhaps not. But if you make a call, I'm sure he would let you in.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted