Anyone from

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nofxSOHCcrx

Las Vegas? Just moved back here about 2 months ago, used to live here when I was younger, and finally got back. I've talked to a few cops about engine swap laws, but sometimes I'm not too sure if they even know what they're talking about. Does anyone know what the laws are, or know a website that has them? The cops here told me that any swap is legal, as long as it can pass smog. Also, how do the smog tests here go? Are they just a sniffer test, and no under the hood? I know California is a pain the ass to get through smog, so I'm glad as hell to be here, so any car law here is definitely going be less stringint(sp?) than Cali. Thanks for the help if anyone knows. BTW, I've searched google, but I just can't seem to find the right law website to locate the info.

i'm about 4 hrs from Vegas... in CA, so i really dont know much about the state other than gambling .. lol

i used to do them in utah and i think vegas might be the same way, and swap is illegal if the motor did not belong in that chassie from factor, i belive all u.s. is like that but they say they don't care what the motor is as long as it can pass smog... but if you have and obd2 car and convert it to the obd1 it will not pass even if you have the best cat you can buy because they use the plug under the dash to conect it on the dyno ... but if you have obd1 vehicle you can do pretty much what ever swap you want as long as it passes smog because it does not have the plug under the dash also no check engine light maybe on and if its obd2 vehicle and you reset the check engine light right befor you go in it will not pass, because the ecu has things it check and it does this from a cold start to driving down the free what and what ever else parameters it needs to test things

I used to live there, hated it.

How could you hate living here. To me, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. There's always something to do, something to see, a car show to go to, a drifting event, a cone course, there's just too much stuff to list. I hated every minute of when I moved to North Cali. I dunno, I guess it's not for everyone.

i used to do them in utah and i think vegas might be the same way, and swap is illegal if the motor did not belong in that chassie from factor, i belive all u.s. is like that but they say they don't care what the motor is as long as it can pass smog... but if you have and obd2 car and convert it to the obd1 it will not pass even if you have the best cat you can buy because they use the plug under the dash to conect it on the dyno ... but if you have obd1 vehicle you can do pretty much what ever swap you want as long as it passes smog because it does not have the plug under the dash also no check engine light maybe on and if its obd2 vehicle and you reset the check engine light right befor you go in it will not pass, because the ecu has things it check and it does this from a cold start to driving down the free what and what ever else parameters it needs to test things

Thanks for the info man. much needed. It's funny, they have these little smog stations that resemble a corner coffee store, I've never seen em before lol. If I can land this job, I'll be doing a swap not too far into the future. 89 CRX HF, so I don't think I should have a problem passing, should only be a sniffer for me.

well im not from vegas but i live in utah and it is a pain to pass emmissions so good luck

well im not from vegas but i live in utah and it is a pain to pass emmissions so good luck

Well, I don't mind the hardness in passing smog. Cali is the biggest pain in the ass to pass smog. Plus, if I have to, I'll just register my car in a different county. There are only 2 counties in Nevada that require smog, Clark and whatever Reno is in. I have a friend of the family that lives about 40 minutes away, so I might be able to just register there, if I can't pass. Anyway, thanks for the info ppl.

Thanks for the info man. much needed. It's funny, they have these little smog stations that resemble a corner coffee store, I've never seen em before lol. If I can land this job, I'll be doing a swap not too far into the future. 89 CRX HF, so I don't think I should have a problem passing, should only be a sniffer for me.

ya its some funny shit how they are on every corner.... but have fun with the REX and you should be able to pass emissions

Back