Anyone gone Hunting??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMilan

I have been thinking about going hunting and pretty much starting a new hobby for the past couple months. It seems to interest me. I have also noticed the expensive cost of proper guns and bows.

Primarily what interests me is : Duck, Turkey, and Hog huntin

I just applied for my Hunting Liscense but first I have to go through "hunters education" which I don't mind since they teach you about safety and you actually get to shoot a rifle, shotgun, and bow.

I have used rifles in the past for shooting targets and such so I was just curious on your experiences from hunting?? any feedback would be appreciated

:)

Hunting is good stuff. And dont let people give you any BS about its unfair to the animals. My ass unfair, they will hear your tired ass stumbling threw the woods at 5:30 in the morning thinking your gonna get a jump on them. It is a pretty inexpensive sport unless you go out of state then the prices are sky high. Im 17 and have been hunting since i was about 13-14. And even though i havnt "gotten" any huge trophes or any thing like that it is still kick ass to go out and at least shoot at stuff. I dono its like gettin back to the basics you know. But any ways i think you should at least try it out. I think alot of people would enjoy it if they tried. Welp good luck with whatever you decide. Have a great night.

Jeramy

yeah, i am looking into giving it a try, reason I said expensive because I dont' have any guns, and noticed that they can be pretty pricey (single/double barrel shotgun ranging from 400-2000$$) Bows are cheaper like in the 200-400 range I have noticed.

my uncle is really into that stuff... he shoots the pigeons and doves outside his house and eats them for dinner... hell, the rabbit was 'getting too old' so he shot it and ate it too.

i've only been hunting once... and it was with my uncle... i was 12 and he gave me his .357 to shoot... granted... i was probably 4'8 or so, and a whole 60-70 pounds... boy did he laugh at me when i fell back about 2 feet.

needless to say... i hate guns now. lol but we brought home 2 deer... venison was yummers.

If I had any kills I would certainly eat it, I have had rabbit, quail, moose, and venissen, all of which was yummy.

I would love to get a good wild turkey and have those damn good turkey legs..yummy.......

i USED to go hunting when i was a teenager. i used to love it. getting back to nature, sitting in the woods at the butt-crack of dawn with my 30-30 waiting for a buck (or doe or turkey). i never shot anything (always fell asleep in the woods...LOL but i didn enjoy it. right now i am in the process of getting back into fishing as i find it a bit more relaxing. i got a new fishing pole and reel and a new tackle box as my old stuff either got sold or was lost when i moved. nothing like a day on the lake with a cold beer in hand and a my fishing pole in the other waiting for the big bass to bite the lure :)

largest bass I have cought was 7lbs, in florida bass fishing is very popular, I used to love it.

I figured you TPP of all the members on this site would have been hunting :) thanks for the input and if you go next time stay awake :lol:

Originally posted by JDMilan@Jan 26 2004, 11:13 PM
largest bass I have cought was 7lbs, in florida bass fishing is very popular, I used to love it.

I figured you TPP of all the members on this site would have been hunting :) thanks for the input and if you go next time stay awake :lol:

a 7lb bass aint too bad man. big enough to put in a smoker and eat it :)

as far as hunting goes, i cant do that shit any more. im not a morning person like i used to be. if i get up before the crack of noon any days, then thats considered early for me...LOL.

hunting with guns is totally different than archery. with archery your farthest shot will be 30 yards!! I will be going archery hunting this season, I can't wait to be 20 yards from and animal that is 4 times the size of me, what a rush!!!! It'll be like looking around the club, finding the biggest baddest mofo there, and starting a fight with him.

now fishing on the other hand, it is impossible to get more relaxed than that. I prefer river/creek fishing, more than lake.

hope you have fun, no matter what you chose.

i love hunting- i've been hunting since it was legal for me (which was 12) and i have had some of the best experiences of my life in woods- I've spent the best times with my friends just hunting, smoking cigars and bullshitting in the woods- I just bought my 6th gun, which isn't too bad when you consider I'm 18- I highly reccomend you to try it, especially since you expressed the interest in it and no one is forcing you to do it- Start small, go out and and buy a .22 or borrow one and go squirrel hunting, not only are they good eating, but they're easy to kill and will help you get familiar with the woods and with carrying a gun- I hope you decide to start and if you ever want a great place to hunt and you're in NE PA, give me a call i'll be glad to take ya out and show ya how us pennsyltukians kill us the whitetails-

hell yeah squirrel is good eating. cut up some carrots and potatoes and put the skinned and gutted squirrel in a crock pot and put it on low and let it simmer all day. after a bout 8 hrs or so....man thats some of the best tasting stuff in the world!!

I also want to get into hunting. The only part I won't be able to deal with is getting up at the crack of dawn. I have been looking into some .22's. I used to shoot targets when I was younger, and recently got interested in it again after I went to a turkey shoot with my uncle and beat all the rednecks on the first round I was in. I can also put my golden retriever to work.
I can't wait until spring so I can go fishing again. I miss it, I was out on my boat 2-4 times a week. Too bad this past summer there was a shit load of sand sharks where I fished. After catching 10 or so a night and getting pissed on by them it gets annoying. THere better be a lot of blues and strippers this year.

what kind of .22 are ya looking for? semi-auto, pump, bolt action? cause there are tons of good guns on the market for a really good price- if you want any recommendations let me know

i used to have a .22 !!! I can still get ahold of it if anybody is interested

it was bad ass. Ruger all stainless, scope, folding stock, 30 round banana clip, yada, yada, yada !!!

I bought my semi-auto 12 guage from a buddy at work for 250, and it kicks ass. My ruger 270 was 400, but it's stainless with composite stock. My pump action 30-30 was a hand me down from my gramps. I had hunter education at 13, definitely worth doing. It's amazing how many ignorant fucks will point a gun at you, not knowing if it's loaded. I triple check my guns, and lock them away with the chambers open in a steel gun cabinet lag bolted to studs. A good pellet rifle can kill, so safety first.
[Jason Theme] "kill kill kill, kill kill kill" [/Jason Theme]

Definitely eat what you get, or throw back the fish you won't.

yeah soon i'll have 7 guns coming to me from my grandpa, which are worth like 5k- but right now i'm rocking a savage .17HMR, a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, a .35 Rem marlin 336cs, a NEF single shot 20 gauge and a .50 caliber muzzleloader that I built myself- came out good, if anyone cares i could throw up a picture

Bunch of nra crazy ass's in here just kiddin holy shit never known people with some many guns the only guns i could get close to having would be my dads gloc 9 and maybe a 12 gauge but thats when he dies. DAmn any guy take any hints from bowling from columbine shit lol. I love canada ;)

hunting is the best way for some good ol male bonding. nothing like a 12 foot high bonfire fueled by diesel gasoline, with 10 drunk assholes standing around in 20 degree weather each with two guns in his arm...

in that sense, yes I been hunting LOTS of times.

I'm beginning to wonder why we haven't caught anything yet :lol:

glad to hear that a decent amount of you guys have tried it and actually recommend it to me, thanks :thumbsup:

I have been doing research and trying to get familiar with all the terms used when it comes down to choosing a gun and what not.

This is literally all new to me so I was also wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to gun selection, best deals and places to buy them, anything would be helpful, looking for something like a selfstarter hunting site online, or anything you guys recommend I check out before I make the initial splash into it.

thanks,

I am also a retired hunter. Previous game consisted of Deer, Elk, Bear, Beer, Squirrels, and the occasional Dove. One of the scariest moments of my life was bow hunting for bear. Yes it is crazy. Yes it is a rush. Best comparison I can give you is sticking a needle into someone’s ass and asking him or her to play dead. Actually I went as part of a group that was in Northern Arizona. We did manage to bring one bear down (No I was not the one to down it). I could not believe how heavy the damn thing was. You learn this as soon as you try to carry it out of the bush and back to camp. During this trip I learned some key fundamentals that will stay with me forever. A bear that is in a garbage can is not a good bear to shoot at. Arrows have this funny way of being deflected off of metal surfaces. A wounded bear is quite irritable. A bear can run even if it looks like a pincushion. A bear can run faster down hill than you can chase it. Bears can cross a river faster than you can. Bear's usually have friends that do not give a crap about their buddies.

Back