anyone have this problem with a chip?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

diefwd1

well, I bought a moates.net burner and chipping kit. I got the stuff in the mail a month ago and it seems that whatever rom I put on the chip the car runs like dog shit. The cel instantly comes on, the car idles at 1500 rpm, hesitates and runs ruff under load it is safe to say the car is undrivable chipped. I tried reading all the stuff in the Crome help file and followed the steps to set up a base rom, I even tried other roms off the web. They all run the same which leads me to believe that I have faulty equiptment. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated. The car is a 1993 civic with a obd1 b18a, i/h/e.

chances are, you forgot to remove the checksum before burning the chip.

i forget which menu option its on... i think its 2 in from the left
remove check sum.
then burn to romulator or chip.

i usdually do this first thing after i open a new map.

I removed the checksum and that was atleast part of the problem the car is more drivable now but the cel is instantly on and it still hesitates quite a bit

Are you installing the chip correctly in the burner?

With the little clip you press down to the left, the notch in the chip should also be to the left with the chip all the way to the right in the socket.....If I remember correctly.

yeah I have got the chip seated correctly. I contacted moates where I bought the stuff and their tech guy got back to me today and I tried some stuff he said to do. I think I may have something bad mechanically. Reason being When I have the chipped ecu in I turn the ignition to on and the cel and fuel pump are supposed to turn on and shut off. The cel stays on meaning there is a problem the ecu has recognized. I emailed him back tonite and expect to hear from him tommorrow.

Jump the service connector by the ecu and find out what code you are throwing. Maybe something isnt hooked up under the hood or not making contact. If you knew what code you were throwing I might be able to give you some suggestions. There might not be anything wrong with the chips you are burning, it could be something else like this.

The car runs fine off the stock pr4, it is only when I install the chipped ecu in it runs like dog shit. I went back and forth with Darren from moates.net doing diagnois through email and he determined the ecu is bad for whatever reason. I sent a new ecu and they installed another chip kit for free which is currently in the mail. I guess Ill know if it works in a few days.

also when I jumped the service connector I could not get a code to blink. The light just stayed on.

Back