anyone have wireless internet?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
no, not the home crap... perhaps mobile internet is the better term.

with my new job and being on call this week, 99% of things that go wrong i can fix in 2 min.... but it sucks having to stay home just to be near a computer all week.

so, I'm looking into getting a pcmcia card for mobile internet. Something like this:
Connection Card PC-5740

they have 3 service plans:

• $39.99 Flexible Data Plan (40 megabytes (MB) of usage; $.001/kb overage; after $99.99 usage is free/unlimited.)
  • $59.99 Unlimited Data with a separate voice plan
  • $79.99 Unlimited Data (no voice plan required)
I have nextel, so technically i have a voice plan already..... 60 bucks a month for unlimited internet access anywhere that I have cell service (which is just about everywhere). my work pays for my cell phone (up to 75 a month) and my internet fees, so i'm loosing 2 bills. picking up one bill at 60 bucks a month will still be cheaper than i was before i stared working there.

Has anyone used this before?

they claim 400-700 kbs and a peak spike of 2mbs.... so thats like DSL speed. plenty fast to check an email and restart a service.

I imagine i'll be able to vpn in over this, no? I'm running a cisco client now-- i threw out that pos linksys vpn router-- so i don't need hardware to get into the vpn.

I like cingular's to tell you the truth. Ive used Sprint and Cingular for my last job, and the cool thing about cingular is i could turn down image quality to up the speed. Even with full image quality, i was still on a 768k connection. That is usually more than enough for most users unless youre uploading/downloading HUGE files.

ive got the sprint PCS wireless anywhere card. its a corporate version of the one you are looking at.

6mpbs baby. then again, work pays for it.

yeah, i don't need it for anything more than emails and such... no big file downloads. anything dial-up or better is fine by me. it will allow me to be a lot more mobile and still do stuff while i'm on call. i can go out and do stuff, and if i get a page, i can fix it on the spot, or if its more involved, get emails and what not out to those who need to see it.

out on call guy is more of a project manager than the guy who has to fix everything. if its not something i can easily fix, it is my job to page/call the guy who can fix it.

so for those easy ones, which are the majority, i simply need to log in to the works vpn, then remote desktop over to a server and refresh a browser window. thats the most common error that comes in.

have you ever done vpn and remote desktop through this?

yeah i vpn and dameware into everything at work from home :)

oops. yes, the vpn/dameware connection through the wireless anywhere card works just as well as if im at home.

Get a wireless card, and when you need internet, just search for a network to join. There is usually one present that has no security in place. I live in a hick town and I can get service in several "hot" spots.

Last edited:
thats fun stuff phyre. in my dorkier (still dorky) days, i ripped a hole in my headliner, sanded it down, and taped a wire from my external wireless card to the head liner of my car.....UBER HUGE antenna. I could get about 40ish wireless networks on my 900mhz p3. my computer almost died when i hit "View Available Wireless Networks"

Get a wireless card, and when you need internet, just search for a network to join. There is usually one present that has no security in place. I live in a hick town and I can get service in several "hot" spots.

wireless card?

if your laptop is so antiquated that it doesnt have .11g, you REALLY need an upgrade ;)

you need a different wireless card if a) your parents bought the computer and dont know what the hell 802.11g is or b) you want to use an external antenna.

I know that my mom had to buy a different card for her BRAND NEW inspiron notebook because she didnt know what that card was.

I just got my Verizon card for my new MacBook Pro 15inch. For the Mac side of this machine I plugged it in, and installed no software works great. The Windows side took 3 seperate software insatalls and then an update from Verizon's site to get the Express Card working. Now that it works I average 40k/s. Not too bad, Everyone I work directly with on the Campaign has a Verizon Card, and they work well. One of our consultants has the Cingular card in his Vaio, and it works about the same. The candidate I work for travels all over Florida with his Verizon Card in an RV with no issues. His is PCMCIA and had no BS install problems like my express card did.

Verizon EVDO rocks. I'm beggin my boss to get it for me.. He's dragging his feet. I'd RATHER have sprint, as the place I spend 80% of my work time at, doesn't have verizon service in the building... but DOES have sprint.

Back