anyone here run?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I did my first triathlon last year, I had some Adidas cross country shoes that were on sale for like 60 bucks at a sporting goods store. They were the best shoes super comfy, and lasted a few races before the sole needed to be reglued. I bought another pair of Adidas cross country shoes, hoping that they would last a little longer and so far they have. They are just slightly heavier than regular running shoes, this pair is lasting longer, they look good and are not quite as flashy looking as some Nike's that I see out there. This new pair I bought in November of last year, and so far has held up till now, I run in them 4 times a week averaging about 5-10 miles each time they go out.

Edit: My girlfriend really like Asics shoes, and she runs daily, and is really into marathons and triathlons. She swears by them too, so I would say if you are going to drop some cash look into them.

:werd:

When I was stlil running track, most of the people would be on Nikes or Asics (about 50/50 between the two) and the leftovers were on new Balances and Sauconys.

I think Im going to buy that elcheapo pair of Asics for 34.99 since they are SUPER light if they don't work out to be good running shoes I will use them for work/gym "I need a new pair anyways"

Give me some names to "running" stores

I know of the basic shoe stores "foot locker, sports arth, models,.."
but have no idea what you mean buy a running store

Adidas trail running shoes have always been very excellent to me, whether running on a trail or not. Running Cross Country, I always used either Adidas, New Balance, or Asics. adidas is the cheaper of the 3 IMO.

I use Saucony. I'm about ready for something new and may try something else. I'm quickly approaching 50, and until recently I ran 3 miles every other day. But I also do Kempo Karate four days/week, so now I run only on Saturdays (3 miles), usually followed by a 10-mile bike ride if the weather's okay. I'm not a fast runner, maybe 10-11 minute miles. I also have a BowFlex and do that once/week (the Kempo gives me a pretty good workout).

Oh, in Kempo they also suggest breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. I'll do this every now and then while running, but generally not for long periods of time (it's not that easy while running for me). Going on memory...when I'm in a comfort zone, I'll do a long inhale for, say, 3 or 4 strides, and exhale in less (strides). I don't try to push myself too much, and throw in short periods of walking if I feel like it (hot/humid day, etc.). And I end my run with a 1/2 mile cool-down walk.

I don't know if I answered your question, but that's what I've been doing for the last 2.5 years or so. Works for me.

The New Balance headquarters is about 3 miles away from my house, in fact I can see the top of their building from my street. lol. There's a NB outlet store across the street from their main building...

Originally posted by FFCiv@May 26 2004, 07:04 PM
Im a soph in HS and run XC and indoor track. I rock these Asics:
http://productacj.asicsamerica.com/product...RY_ID=250001258 for races
my best mile is 4:56, 5k is 18 flat

ive had good luck with asics shoes, bad luck with their spikes. the last two pairs i owned, the spikes ended up breaking through the spike plate where i could feel them on the underside of my foot. that is not a good thing in the middle of a 5k.

my best mile is a 5:05 and my best 5k is a 17:14. funny thing is, until i got out of HS, my best 5k was a 19:47, then after 6 months of not training i ran an 18:03.

Anyone have any particular training techniques to improve endurance because I think I'm going to be able to have to run 3 miles in 19 mins by august 13th and even though I've never completely tried while running the mile, my best time has been like 7:10. I desperately need to improve my times.

ive asked my xc coach that; all he said is keep training, but you will have to endure a lot of pain also.

probably one of the most little known secrets to increasing endurance is speed work. to start off, while you are doing a run, do a sprint for 50 sec. each, then return to your normal pace until you feel comfortable again. repeat 5 times. gradually increase the number and intensity and before you know it your normal running pace will be increased.

its kinda weird like that, speed training will help increase your endurance, but endurance training will not help increase your speed.

Originally posted by Sobe_Death@May 27 2004, 02:04 PM
probably one of the most little known secrets to increasing endurance is speed work. to start off, while you are doing a run, do a sprint for 50 sec. each, then return to your normal pace until you feel comfortable again. repeat 5 times. gradually increase the number and intensity and before you know it your normal running pace will be increased.

its kinda weird like that, speed training will help increase your endurance, but endurance training will not help increase your speed.

Yes intervals do wonders for training, also rest days do wonders, but that does not mean just not run that day, it means run, but run for an hour easy, and I mean real easy slower than you would ever consider running, and just keep up that steady pace, then the next day is back to hard training.

Back