anyone here seen a turbo CR-V?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ED3-D15T

I am interested in buying a CR-V because I'll be moving to WI in a month. Anyone here ever seen one turbo'd, and/or any turbo Honda with an auto tranny?

I have seen plenty turboed B20's most with VTEC heads on them though. As far as a turboed engine with an automatic tranny, im sure it exists but i have yet to see one. Honda auto trannys are very week and would need to be rebuild with stronger parts to handle the extra power.

My friend has D16Y8 auto with a t3/t4 turbo, and it would have a lot more potential if it was a 5 speed. I have seen a B20/T, just not in a CRV :)

my friend had a turbo 90 lude.....

Wisconsin winters arent that bad, I drive my crx all year round here.
if your moving here from illinois then you need all the help you can get FIB.

turbo on an auto tranny is a recipe for failure in hondas, however it can be done quite easily with a level10 or other such reinforced tranny

and even worse, the crv 4wd system is even weaker than a normal auto tranny.

buy a manual :)

yeah- i'm considering auto in case I need my g/f to drive it for some reason (and because Chi traffic sucks). otherwise 5sp would be the obvious choice. I grew up in VA, so I know how to drive in the snow ;) I just want to get rid of my current Civ, and a CR-V seems like the best replacement all-around ('cause the Honda truck won't be out for a while).

As for "weak Honda automatics," do you guys say this because you've owned one/broken one/built one, or because you have just heard it someplace else?

Anyone else have an opinion?

first... teach your girlfriend how to drive a 5spd

second... maybe they have gotten better over the years but my sister has an 87 accord with an auto and it is absolutely f'd up, and that is just from the stock motor
honda has never been known for building strong auto trannies

edit: the tranny is f'd up, shifts like it's getting rear ended

It shifts like it's being rear-ended because there is clutch fiber in the transmission that is sticking the valves in the valve body. this requires the pump to build more pressure, and instead of the valves moving freely and smoothly shifting the transmission into gear, they release suddenly, allowing the clutch pistons to slam the clutch discs together every time the trans changes gears. I would go so far as to say this car in particular is doing much better than it's american counterparts, since it probably has never been rebuilt. most US trannies are rebuilt every 60-150,000 miles, depending on vehicle/trans/driver. I know your uncle's cousin's brother has a 1976 ford truck with an auto tranny with 350,000 miles that's never been rebuils, but trust me, for every one of those there are hundreds that didn't last over 125,000.
I've been building trannies for 13 years, I just rarely do Hondas because folks in my hometown haven't been buying them long enough to wear them out.
I also like the prospect of being able to stage my boost off the line with the torque converter rather than by slipping the clutch

<<<<<BACK ON TOPIC>>>>>

WHen I took a trip to Cali to go to the SEMA show back in 1999, there was an electron blue CRV with a HUGE FMIC on it. It was cool as hell. Bronze Volks, all the nifty stuff.

Not sure if it was auto or manual, 4wd or not. It was pretty nifty LOOKING, though. It looked like a modified DRAG turbo kit, as a matter of fact.

I like manuals better, but I have to say: My buddy got 301,000 miles out of his original automatic in his 92 Accord. I still have my original at 220,000. That's H22 Powered, and driven hard. Ask me in another year. I'd say Honda makes a solid Automatic tranny, even though a stick is preferable. I'm not gonna use the girlfriend excuse, I was fucking broke after buying the H22A.

Later

From a thread on Honda-Tech.com:

13680035-90fc-0200013C-.jpg

Back