Anyone interested in '95 Civic Ex?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Here's the story, the ex-girlfriend just called me the other day saying that her car was smoking up a storm.

She just paid $700 to have a brand new radiator put in the car and another $700 to put a new exhaust on the car.

The smoke was blowing out of the back of the car, so immediately I thought of a headgasket.

The body of the car is in good condition. Back when I was last with her, around 6months ago, there wasn't any rust on the car but she said there might be some little surface spots by the rear wheel wells.

155,xxx miles. Auto. Blue. Looks like a blown headgasket.

Whats she worth?

I was hoping that it would be worth atleast $500 for her to help get her into another beater car until she graduates from school. The girl is putting herself through school at Penn State and is in her senior year, so finances are really tight. She needs a car to commute to work though.

I was thinking that the shell would be worth roughly $500. The car would be a perfect swap candidate if it were not for the auto tranny. For anyone with the know how to do an auto to manual conversion and looking for a project car, I would think this thing would be prime but I have to know what its worth.

If I don't act fast, I'm sure her dad will either tell her to dump the money into the car to fix the headgasket <which when you're paying someone else to do it at full price isn't worth the cost> or just to scrap the car.

I'm trying to atleast get her some money out of the situation.

unm spend $60 and fix her hg for her...

3hours away from me.

<--- The College of New Jersey

her

-----> Pennsylvania State University.

Me, no garage.
Her, no garage.

Windchill -10º.
Car was towed to a shop.

Me, had no idea that a headgasket was $60 bones and am not sure about the work required to do it, especially on a car that I'm sure has rusty bolts after being in the northeast for 12-13years.

Supposedly the mechanic said something about it could be a cylinder as well and she thought he may have said that when she brought it to him once before. I have no idea, I just know that it was smoking out of the back, after she had coolant problems before which looked to me like tell tale signs of a HG.

How long and how hard is it to do a HG on a civic? My first project car was the WRX and I never did any actual work on the del slo. My sister's civic was a bitch to work on when an alternator belt snapped because bolts were seized, mounts were seized and in the way, you had to pull two other belts to get to the alternator and it was just a bitch. In the WRX it takes me 15 minutes. I don't want to have to deal with that sort of shit again, especially if I drive 3hours each way.

Last edited:
How long and how hard is it to do a HG on a civic? My first project car was the WRX and I never did any actual work on the del slo. My sister's civic was a bitch to work on when an alternator belt snapped because bolts were seized, mounts were seized and in the way, you had to pull two other belts to get to the alternator and it was just a bitch. In the WRX it takes me 15 minutes. I don't want to have to deal with that sort of shit again, especially if I drive 3hours each way.
this is the kind of shit most people have to deal with any time they're working on cars
shop shouldn't charge her more than 500 to do the headgasket
if she got 500 for her car, plus another 500 out of her pocket, could she replace the current car for 1K?
i assume this car has been reliable etc

The car mechanically has its issues.

I think if someone were to do a compression check on the engine that I'm not sure what they would come up with. Cosmetically the car is in good shape.

I was thinking that she sell her car and buy another civic that doesn't need work done mechanically or a neon for $500 and then she ride it out until she graduates and gets a job.

The car needs a timing belt as well.

I have never heard of a headgasket being fixed in an hour, but I'm sure thats not what the shop manual says to charge for labor.

My deal is that last time I opened the hood of a '94 civic everything was rusted and even if I knew exactly what I was doing, I run into problems. For an alternator belt my sister's civic had to go to a shop where they wound up drilling out the bolt in the bottom of the alternator because it was frozen <which I could verify but I got the fucker to move> but then I look at the mount that had to be moved and think to myself shit, I don't have a deep wall socket this big or have the tools with me to break a bolt thats so rusted to shit.

If its a brand new car, I'm not worried about working on it because things should come out and go in easily, no special tools required. No impact guns, tap and dyes, etc.

If its really that simple, I'll make a point of making the drive <which is actually 4 1/2 hours from here - I forgot that its longer from college than back home> and fixing it for her, but something tells me its going to be a waste of my time because I'm going to run into complications and I don't even have a spot to fix it out there. She lives in an apartment.

If its really that simple, I'll make a point of making the drive <which is actually 4 1/2 hours from here - I forgot that its longer from college than back home> and fixing it for her, but something tells me its going to be a waste of my time because I'm going to run into complications and I don't even have a spot to fix it out there. She lives in an apartment.
don't bother making the drive
you're gonna have more problems than you can shake a stick at
ever try to crack 150K+ headbolts loose?

:shrug2: it's not really your problem...
tell her to find a dude at the school who has a civic thats hooked up... i bet he would change her HG for a BJ :p

She's not my girl, guys. Just remember she was so she's going to be severely emotionally scarred and I doubt many of you can fill my "void".
did she give you funny looks when you had to rubberband popsicle sticks to your cock?

did she give you funny looks when you had to rubberband popsicle sticks to your cock?

Nah. Normally I would just get up, pull off my boxers and wave my pecker in the air like I was some sort of elephant swinging his trunk.

That got her every time.

i'd still suggest she get it fixed, headgasket + timing belt = reliable car again

better than buying another 500 beater with its own problems in my opinion

i'd still suggest she get it fixed, headgasket + timing belt = reliable car again

better than buying another 500 beater with its own problems in my opinion

My sentiments are that the car may possible break down later, thats why I said its a perfect candidate for a swap or that she'll never get a return on her investment.

She'll be teaching or an administrator, so she'll have a governmental job either way, which won't pay millions upon millions. I also have to think of the debt she's racked up by going to a school like PSU, even after scholarship and inherited money.

She just paid $700 to have a brand new radiator put in the car and another $700 to put a new exhaust on the car.
she just dropped this much money in the car, why give up on it now for a HG?

she just dropped this much money in the car, why give up on it now for a HG?

because thats the definition of a money pit.

Her dad said book on it is $2200 or something.

They want $1200 for the headgasket, $400 for the timing belt, so $1600 there and possibly another $500+ to rebuild the motor because the guy thinks that its going to be "warped" according to her.

I guess he figures it overheated so that the oil burned up and the engine basically burned itself up, but I don't know what he's going to come to this fact.

Back