anyone involved in formula sae?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

22crazy

just wondering if anyone on this forum is part of it.

I thought about joining it at University of Florida, but this is my first year here, and even though I have and can work on cars and such. From what I've heard first year people don't do much, so I'm holding off for a year or two. What school are you at?

Originally posted by 22crazy@Oct 9 2003, 05:58 PM
just wondering if anyone on this forum is part of it.

Not really, although I had a lot of friends that were back in school... I just chose to take part in being ASME president instead of getting involved with SAE. The organization was full of assholes at the time though, so I didn't want to play anyway.

Which university are you at?

im at the university of waterloo(ontario canada) studing engineering. im in first year so i dont do much; basically learning the concepts right now, but its pretty cool.

Get on that formula car team and get involved... the competition isn't too far from you. Maybe you'll get to see UT's car out there next year.

:thumbsup:

Get involved with your engineering discipline's main student organization too- ASME for ME, IEEE for EE, AiCHE for Chem E etc... it really helps, especially in your first few years.

well the name of my program is called mechatronics, which is basically a cross between mechanical, electrical, and systems design, but yah thanks for the tip. By the way, UT's car im assuming u mean the university of texas right? have u heard of waterloo? i no our car did pretty good other then the fact that a rad hose blow and they kicked us out, which made us lose like 1/3 of our points....the cool part was that we have the second fastest accelerationcar because of our pneumatic shifter.

Originally posted by 22crazy@Oct 10 2003, 04:47 PM
well the name of my program is called mechatronics, which is basically a cross between mechanical, electrical, and systems design, but yah thanks for the tip. By the way, UT's car im assuming u mean the university of texas right? have u heard of waterloo? i no our car did pretty good other then the fact that a rad hose blow and they kicked us out, which made us lose like 1/3 of our points....the cool part was that we have the second fastest accelerationcar because of our pneumatic shifter.

Yeah I mean University of Texas at Austin. :)

I wasn't too involved with SAE other than hanging out in the shop, borrowing tools, and going to a few meetings... so no I haven't heard of your school's car.

Mechatronics is one of the focuses we can choose as a tech area at UT... I just chose not to go that route.

:)

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 9 2003, 09:51 PM
Get involved with your engineering discipline's main student organization too- ASME for ME, IEEE for EE, AiCHE for Chem E etc... it really helps, especially in your first few years.

Don't for get the ACM for Programming.

CS isn't a real engineering discipline....And I'm hoping to find time to join the team up here at MTU(Michigan Tech). Hopefully I can fit SAE and AES in my schedule.

Says who? Ignorant folks with no actual CS experience don't count. If you have actually worked in the field you would know that the same comcepts appear in the product cycle. Gathering requirements, design, building, implementation, testing, and supporting all happen within CS.

Heh...my bad, not enough sarcasm in my statement(if any at all *is* there!). Didn't mean to sound like a jackarse; I do realize there are engineering aspects within the CS field. I just said it to razz people because all the CS guys I know do barely anything for work in classes. Very "laid back" schedule and classes.

My bad, I get that attitude from the EE guys here all the time only they are serious. The funny part is not a one of the EE guys that are taking the Software emphasis(sp?) can program their way out of a box. :) If you are feeling laid back now just wait a semester or two. Things will pick up. I only taking 2 CS classes, a math class and 2 gen ed classes and I have been swamped most of this semester.

Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 11 2003, 07:47 PM
My bad, I get that attitude from the EE guys here all the time only they are serious. The funny part is not a one of the EE guys that are taking the Software emphasis(sp?) can program their way out of a box. :) If you are feeling laid back now just wait a semester or two. Things will pick up. I only taking 2 CS classes, a math class and 2 gen ed classes and I have been swamped most of this semester.

Come to UT... we have the regular EE program, and then on top of that the more rigorous ECE (Electrical & Computer Engineering) where everyone who makes it out can actually program their way out of an n-dimensional fractal universe.

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 12 2003, 01:54 AM
Come to UT... we have the regular EE program, and then on top of that the more rigorous ECE (Electrical & Computer Engineering) where everyone who makes it out can actually program their way out of an n-dimensional fractal universe.

:lol:
I am not saying that the EE department here isn't good just that they are not programmers as they seem to think. They look at C as a high level language. :shudder:

I am done changing colleges. The move here from CU set my graduation back a semester because they won't transfer my calc based physics class or take participation in the music program as my gen ed fine arts requirement. If I were to transfer to UT now I would probably be set back another semester or two and I just want to finish. :)

BTW, Nice GPF ref.

Oh, I didn't intend it to be a GPF ref... it's just a little more complex than a cardboard box.

:lol:

You should be fine in CS there- but the situation's still a little different at UT. The ECEs tend to view the CS guys as grunts, mostly because they really CAN do everything the CS guys do, but with much more design, planning and initial thought than just programming what someone else tells you to do. I guess there's more of a dividing line here.

ECE is where I would be if it existed here. Oh well. There is a huge line between CS and EE with a computer focus here. In CS we discuss languages, concepts, and tecniques at a higher level. As I said earlier, the EE dept. here centers on hardware programming and other low level design when you take the computer focus.

Back