Anyone know bout Neons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thanx for the explanation. I guess I got overwhelmed by all the tuning. I just need to research some more on the tuning end. So by the megasquirt having a built in map, I dont need a map clamp? Does it have kinda like its own map clamp built in so the oem ecu wont see the boost? I would like to have a copy of the map. Thanx. Is there away I can view how the map is setup? So I can reference it while I learn? Sorry for the 21 questions but im still learning. As far as neons.org, I have been all through there and got confused because alot of the "same" info was explained alot of different ways and I think thats how I got confused plus everyone used abbreviations for terms or parts and that REALLY got me lost. Then going to the megasquirt site to read the manuals and it was like chinese to me. lol. So I tried searching for these GM sensors on mulitple sites and I cant get a clear idea as to what years I need. Thanx for all your help. So far you are the only one who has helped me get this far to where I am starting to understand the whole megasquirt setup. I really appreciate it.

Your factory map sensor will still stay in its location but will basically do nothing. The megasquirt has one that is actually soldered to the main board, it is a gm 3 bar map so it can see boost and not act retarded. The factory ecu still stays in the car and when you have the MS in it will have one function, it has the internal voltage regulator for the alternator. So your check engine light will be on because a butt load of sensors will be getting readings it doesn't like, but the engine is being run off the MS so it doesn't really matter. Also a side note these cars have a returnless fuel system which means there is no fuel return line to the tank. Google spoolboy mod and your also going to have to do that, along with buying a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator. I will get a copy of the map to ya, had to format my laptop so its not on here right now but i have it backed up on cd. Like i said before any questions ya have i probably already ran into those problems so just shoot me a message and i will help out the best i can.

Locate yourself a 2 dr 5 spd neon for cheap, upgrade the clutch and flywheel being the standard trans neon clutchs dont separate from the flywheel. Install your engine in it, and roll. its not worth the trouble of putting that damn engine in a civic, and some would consider it a sin to a honda.

good grab on the engine though btw. Check your numbers and see if its a srt-4 engine or a aftermarket engine. I've heard of shops making custom mounts and making the swap. A buddy of mine was going to do that, and put a SRT-4 engine in his 97 neon. Great idea, till he sold the car for 1500.

Thanx

I want to keep it a 4 door auto. Its not an srt4 setup. This motor was built about the time the srt4 came out. The whole thing about putting it in the civic was us just joking around.:D

I really do appreciate your help neonmike. I will be ordering that setup hopefully by next week. The more I read all the pages over n over n over the more im starting to understand all this. Whats with the stimulater? Do I really need it?

Trying to figure all this out is stressing me out so I took a break from it all week.

What I have been trying to figure out is when the megasquirt is hooked up and the check engine light is on, how do I run with the oem cpu so I can run the emmisions tests?

Last edited:
the stimulator is nothin more than a bench tester, you pretty much only need it if you are gonna build it yourself. If you buy one prebuilt then you don't "need" it. As far as the emissions well that is the boat i am in right now. the only thing that can be done is to disconnect the MS and run it on the factory ecu to go through emissions.

Thats what I was thinking but it seems like a wiring nightmare as far as getting it to run off the oem pcm when you need it to. Im still researching that part.

Dude. You can pass emissions on an OBD2 car with a megasquirt.

Just build the OBD-> CAN bridge, and then you're golden.

I dont understand. Care to elaborate? I tried searching for that but I got nothing.

So basically what I found was that I can make new plugs for the injectors and dizzy and assorted sensors for the megasquirt and just unplug the oem connectors for the oem pcm and when It comes time to take the test then I can just plug in the oem plugs to the sensors injectors etc.

I dont understand. Care to elaborate? I tried searching for that but I got nothing.

It's not laid out anywhere. You'd have to design it yourself from the ground up. Megasquirt uses CANbus to communicate between parts. There's an output for the CANbus, all you have to do is feed that into an OBDII interface chip.

It's not hard, but you'd need to do some research, and design your own circuit. Not difficult, but you'd want to make sure you really want to do it.

So basically what I found was that I can make new plugs for the injectors and dizzy and assorted sensors for the megasquirt and just unplug the oem connectors for the oem pcm and when It comes time to take the test then I can just plug in the oem plugs to the sensors injectors etc.

thats what i did all you have to do is make sure you disconnect the charge pipe before you do that or say bye bye to your motor.

neons make me...
griffin-puke.png

Last edited:
Shoot you don't even need to fully build it. Stock internals w/ turbo on a good tune will take a lot of them.

Ya, ain't our motors fun! I thought it was a sin to take the SiR-II out of a hatchback and put it in a civic coupe to begin with, and you've gone and put it in an integra. lol. Still I bet it's fun. Soo much fun revin' it out...heh

put your dashboard back on.....

Back