1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone know how to install air/fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'Car Audio / Security / Electronic Accessories' started by alldriverSiR, Jun 14, 2004.

1. alldriverSiR

alldriverSiR Member

need help installing autometer air/fuel gauge in my hatchback

i just need to know what wires hook up to what

im thinkin red for positive
    black for negative
    and purple for 02 sensor?

please need help to set my interior setup straight

thanks for lookin

steve

2. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

unless you have a wideband o2 sensor, which your stock one is not. That gauge is pretty much useless. It will rarely read right and just goes from rich to lean and back.

3. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

The air fuel gauge will only read correctly at WOT... The stock o2 reads from 0-1 volts... thats what the gauge shows you.. what the voltage of the o2 is... What year is your car? What is the setup? If its obd2, there will be a thick white wire in the ecu harness that you tap into.

4. Import R

Import R Senior Member

Autometer Website

You can find the install instructions there.

ScrapinSi:

I think what you meant to say was that it does NOT read properly at WOT. During normal acceleration it will read right, but at WOT the ecu forces it to read rich. You might not actually be running rich, but it will read that way regardless of the actual readings coming through the exhaust.

5. alldriverSiR

alldriverSiR Member

91 civic si
    jdm B16A
    JG throttle body
    GSR headers
    S1 tranny

6. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i think you are wrong. noah knows his shit... having a coupe Si-T and shit..

my guage used to read rich at WOT. when i put on the big TB and reset my ecu, it read a bit stoich. when i installed the adjustable regulator and turned it up, i could get it to read rich again, but i left it at the crossover between rich and stoich.... where the colors change.

i dont have an autometer, i have a sunpro gauge. all my guages are sunpro.

7. Import R

Import R Senior Member

idk man. the gauge always reads rich when you go WOT. I have a VAFC and turned all my fuel down as low as it would go and it still read rich. Either 1) the vafc didnt do shit -or- 2) the a/f gauge was wrong.

It also has to do with the ECU gling from closed loop to open loop when you go over a certain % of throttle. Once it goes into open loop, it will rely on your fuel maps instead of using the O2 sensor to adjust fuel.

8. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i also dont drive a honda.
    airjockie's crx-t has an autometer gauge, when he adjusts his homemade regulator, the WOT reading changes. :shrug:

maybe its different on obd hondas.

9. Import R

Import R Senior Member

I'm just saying what I have seen from the 2 cars I own. Both of them do the same thing as I was describing.

What kind of homemade adjustment did he make? If he figured out a way to get the a/f gauge to work at wot on a honda i'd be interested in trying it myself.

the crazy thing i dont understand about it is that the O2 line going into the ecu sends a voltage reading from the sensor to the ecu. But when you hit wot the voltage gets regulated by the ecu, and causes the a/f meter to read rich. Just weird how it reads in one direction, and then at wot it reads the opposite way.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted