anyone play ps2 online? need network/port forward help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
im having some issues getting it setup.

well i started out by following this guide.

I-Hacked.com Taking Advantage Of Technology - Using a laptop as a Wireless hub for your PlayStation 2

it was very tricky getting it setup correctly. my first problem was that for whatever reason this requires a crossover cable and i was using a patch cable.

so i get it all setup, run the online start up disc, it connects successfuly, and i save the settings.

i pop in burnout 3, go to online, setup my account and try to play. but every time i try to join a game, it says i am "unable to open communications to the players in this game". and when i try to create my own game, people come and are ready to play but the "start game" option is dimmed and wont let me play.

any ideas? im using the slim version of ps2

i think what may be complicated is that my connection goes through 2 routers.

if you trace the path, its like this:

cable modem -> netgear router -> switch -> linksys wireless router -> (wirelessly) laptop (configured as wireless bridge) -> ps2 using crossover cable.

its a complicated path i know, but its my dads network, and i wanted wireless but he wouldn't do it so i set up the wireless router myself (on a seperate modem, only wireless works).

i have forwarded the ports from my wireless router, but i think i may need to do the same with the first router. now what im confused about is how to setup the first router. obviously i want to open the ports only on the path to my playstation, and not to the other computers. the problem i see is what ip address does the first router give the second router?

i don't remember of hand but you have to setup the laptop as a bridge for the wireless part from what it sounds like
I haven't set one up like this in a while so i forget completely on what to do.

try to disable the firewall on your laptop
see if it lets i by.

did that, didnt work. i already have the laptop set up as a bridge (which is whats in that link) im pretty sure my issue is the fact that i have 2 routers. i have my wireless router setup to forward the correct ports, but i dont know how to set up the first router to allow the open ports only to the second router.

instead of forwarding ports you could also throw it in front of the DMZ.
Get it completely in front of the firewall on the first router and then see what it does.

I had the issue with socom like that with forwarding ports didn't work with the mic and doing that fixed it

thats not an option. as the wireless router is the second router and sends the signal wirelessly to my laptop. if i enable DMZ on the first router, other computers on the network are at risk. which is why i need the specific IP address to enable DMZ on or forward ports to so the open ports are ONLY routed to my laptop (and hence the ps2). ill make a little drawing to show how everything is setup

Lets jsut check this first though.

What kind of router are you using.
I know most linksys one have the option to specify 1 IP address to put in the DMZ. IE the laptop so it only lets that one.

Also, I',m gussing the PS2 works fine without the laptop first?
from there the direct connection from the PC to the PS2 I cannot help too much because i have little experience with this kind of setup.

this is a schematic of the network. i cant really change anything because its my fathers stuff, not my network, im just hooked up to it. i have highlighted the path in which i want to open the ports or enable DMZ. i do NOT want any other computer with open ports, because as ive said before its a security risk. how do i do this?

untitled5.JPG

and yes the ps2 works fine, just some ports are not open to allow full gameplay. ie, i can connect to the servers online through the ps2, and when i test the connection using the start up disc it says the connection is fine.

You can login to to your linksys router with somehting like 192.168.0.1(best to check with the manual or the description of the model)

there should be an option to reserve an IP (like the one your using for a DMZ) for just your laptop.

from there you must specify the wireless connection on your laptop as a shared connection.(intenet connection sharing) and (i dont remember how i did this with my mom's dial up connection like 3 years ago) bridge the Ethernet to allow the PS2 to connect through it.
Now i don't remember the exact thing to do from here.
Microsoft Corporation
and go to add a network bridge
this should help though

Check with your dad though if his switch has a firewall for internetwork connections or not because im not sure if this leaves this open or not with this kind of setup.

Been away from it too long.:D

Hope this somewhat helps

my linksys router's IP is 192.168.1.1, and my fathers router's IP is also 192.168.1.1, and thats my problem. i just dont know how to configure both routers to obtain my desired outcome.

also on a side note, i dont know why you keep mentioning setting up the laptop as a network bridge. ive stated numerous times that its already setup like that, its been setup like that since post #1

sorry.:confused:
hopefully my ignorance on this part keeps it up at the list for a resolution and for someone to see something im missing or overlooking :D

This is where my self obtained skills get hazy. running a "complex" network
i think from here this is where SPT "spanning tree protocol" comes of use. But i don't see what the issue is if the computer and or the ps2 have no issues with a connection.

So I'm stumped at the moment
Anyone and make hella fun of me on this one.^_^

why not set the ip address of your wireless router to some unused ip address, e.g. 192.168.1.253, if you do this you could enable a DMZ on the router that connects to the cable modem directly for your wireless router, this does not open other port-forward on the network it only allows full non-firewalled communications to the single ip address you set.

Also why the need for two wireless routers, the one connecting your brothers wireless should be able to connect both of you wirelessly.

Last edited:
i did a little looking at the first router and the computers connected to it. i hopped on my moms comp, and ran an ip config. turns out the first router DOESNT use the same designation as the second. the first one uses 192.168.0.1, whereas the second uses 192.168.1.1. now that thats cleared up i should be able to just enable DMZ on both routers for the specific IP address of the ps2. correct? now the only problem i see is how to obtain the specific IP of the ps2. would it be the same as my laptop since its a bridge or will it be different? if its different how would i obtain the ip of the ps2, theres really no way i can forsee finding it out. what do you think?

also the two wireless routers is indeed necessary. my brothers room is on the other end of the house, and on level ground. his room is quite big and he wanted to be able to roam his room with his laptop. now my wireless router is in my room in the basement and nearly on the other end of the house i wouldnt be able to get a signal. setting the router in a central location also isnt an option. besides the huge hassle of running a cable to this central location, my parents house has 2 one foot thick brick firewalls which trisect the house (in case of fire, house was built in 1820) and as you know masonry blocks the signal pretty well. my room is between the walls and his is on the other side of one. also my house has 2ft thick stone extrerior walls.and my dad wont set up wireless throughout the house because hes a security nut.

just an update, i got it working.

1. set ps2 to static IP 192.168.2.200
2. enable DMZ on router 1 to my wireless routers WAN (192.168.0.2)
3. enable DMZ on router 2 (wireless) to ps2's IP

and viola! it works.

now i have a question, since my laptop is a wireless bridge, and the internet has to go through my laptop to get to the ps2, is my laptop at risk? or will the DMZ only be for the ps2 since the laptop and ps2 have different IP's. i guess i just dont understand how it can allow all ports through my laptop but not to my laptop, lol

thanks for everyones help

Back