Anyone Snowboard?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The House is the website I just got on, lol. Cool, I'll have to check out SNIAGRAB then this weekend. I'm going to try my luck at getting everything for about 400 IF that is even possible. I hope it is.

Shouldn't be a problem for $400.

The key is to buy last years stuff. It's always heavily discounted. So instead of getting an alright '06 board and bindings, you can get the best '05 board for the same price.

I'm into a new board every other year, this is the only way to go.

Yeah I'm definitely looking for last year's stuff. Hell, I don't care if it's from 3 years ago. If I can find my shit for cheap, then I'll take what I can get. I would LIKE to get as much under 400 as possible. But I'll have to start with maybe a board and bindings first. I have to wait for the paychecks to come in.

seriously though, don't skimp out on the board. Alot of people go out and buy a piece of shit, heavy board and end up having a crappy time cuz their legs and back are always tired. Riding a good board and riding a crap board are like night and day, not just because what you can do on a good board, but how long you can do it for. If you have to spend like $50 more to get the best you can, do it!

You could get the Cue and the Custom bindings for under $400 easy. If you looked around you could probably get the Control or decade for the same price.

I'm looking into the Cue and Custom bindings. I'll see what I can find at SNIAGRAB. I know I either want a Ride or Burton board, and I know I want Burton bindings, and ThirtyTwo boots, so now I'm narrowing down the possibilities. I appreciate the help.

I believe Sniagrab starts Labor day weekend...which is next weekend. I drive by the building almost everyday and thats what the banner says outside. I skied up until last year I went out and bought a snowboard cause thats what all my friends do. I got a 5150 Apache Wideboard at Sniagrab last year and really like it for a starter board. I feel that I don't have to worry as much about messing it up.

The one thing I would really suggest is that you get binding with a solid aluminum base plate. A lot of binding use plastic and when your out there in the cold the plastic can get brittle and break. I know several people who that has happened to.

For binding I suggest Sims Helium or Lithium series.

Originally posted by adnoh@Aug 25 2005, 07:23 PM
Crap.  And heavy.

Here:

Ride Cue

Ride Control

Ride Decade

Ride Timeless (My board)

Burton Mission Bindings

Burton Custom Binding

I don't know what your budget is but those are a few good boards, and bindings.  (Mine is the Timeless w/ Mission Bindings).

Lemme know if you need anything else.
[post=545237]Quoted post[/post]​

My brother got a new Timeless last year and said that it was on another level than his first board.

I have thought about getting a timeless this year but I wear size 12 shoes, so I need a wideboard. I don't believe that the Timeless comes in a wideboard. The wideboard that I've heard the most about is the K2 Fatbob. I was gonna go take a look at one of those and see how I like it.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for wideboards.

Thanks

Dude, the Yukon is the wide version of the Timeless. So yes, you can ride a timeless :)

When Ride first started they were garbage. I lived in Tahoe for a few years and had a couple friends who used them. They were poor quality. Hopefully they have shaped up.

Originally posted by B16@Aug 25 2005, 06:40 PM
When Ride first started they were garbage. I lived in Tahoe for a few years and had a couple friends who used them. They were poor quality. Hopefully they have shaped up.
[post=545342]Quoted post[/post]​

Name me a Snowboard Company that wasn't garbage when they first started.

Burton
Ride
Sims
Forum
Atlantis
Option
K2
Santa Cruz
Kemper
Lamar
Morrow
Original Sin
Division 23
Gnu
Lib Tech
Nitro
Palmer
Salomon

Ect.....

All CRAP the first time around. It takes alot of years of experience and a huge R&D budget to develop the best boards...Ride and Burton have the biggest budget, and therefore have access to the best materials, and the best manufacturing techniques.

Originally posted by lswhitecivic@Aug 25 2005, 04:47 PM
The one thing I would really suggest is that you get binding with a solid aluminum base plate. A lot of binding use plastic and when your out there in the cold the plastic can get brittle and break. I know several people who that has happened to.

[post=545297]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe like 10 years ago. The thing with solid metal baseplates is that they create "dead spots" in the flex pattern of the board. Meaning, your ollie power is significantly reduced (resulting in a non-linear ollie), and you create added stress on your board in and around your inserts (which are designed to flex). Extra stress can result in pressure cracks in the top sheet and in the glass, and even if you do have a board that has carbon beam construction (increases the torsional rigidy of the deck, usually utilized vertically on either side of the wood core running the full length of the effective edge) that doesn't mean that you will be absent of horisontal stress fractures. When you get stress fractures, your boards flex will slowly over time loose all it's pop.

The idea is to let the board flex as much as possible. That's how a board is able to absorb chatter when going over ice, and absorb a big landing, it transforms the shock into Kinetic energy. If you have two places on your board that are dead zones (where shock cannot be absorbed and transformed to energy), your ride quality and satisfaction is comprimised.

That's why Burton has produced resins to form the baseplates of their bindings, with this in mind (once again, the joys of a big R&D budget). I've ridden on Burton Bindings since 1998, I won't ride anything else anymore, period. I rode on Ride bindings (When the were still Preston), PBS, Sims Links, Drake's, and it just aint the same. Burton bindings also are the most comfortable of the bunch.

They are also designed to be used in crazy cold tempuratures. If you're talking about a strap breaking in the cold, shit man, happens to every binding in the world, but the straps arent made of the base material....totally diffrent plastic.

And one more good thing about the composite bindings....they're not aluminum and don't chew up your boots with sharp edges :) My PBS's (Aluminum) Destroyed my favourite pair of Vans :angry:

I was going to reply along the same lines, only not in as much depth. I read that some time ago. :thumbsup: I'll have to keep my eyes out for sales and such. Anyone know of good websites that sell boards for a discount?

EDIT: I found someone selling the Ride Cue for 190.00 Buy It Now on ebay, and then 25 for shipping.

Ok, so one more question. The guy at the snowboard shop didn't tell me what size bindings I'll be wearing. So if I'm going to be riding a Cue 156, and my boot size is either 9 or 9.5, then should I go with Medium bindings? I'm looking at the Burton Custom's

burton is over priced crap. Try looking for a GNU board the carbon modle flexes enough to play in the parks and is stiff enough for free riding. And good to see you guys out the in tronto calling your hills mountains again.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 26 2005, 02:20 AM
burton is over priced crap. Try looking for a GNU board the carbon modle flexes enough to play in the parks and is stiff enough for free riding. And good to see you guys out the in tronto calling your hills mountains again.
[post=545521]Quoted post[/post]​

Burton is expensive, and unfortunately, their boards have a short riding life (just like a bimmer....fucking amazing when the warranty is still there, but shit afterwards). But their bindings are second to none, period.

You want to talk about overpriced crap??? FORUM. Peter Line is a fucking goon and his boards are heavy and totally unresponsive. I don't know how he can ride so well on them.

GNU makes a pretty solid board, I'd classify them in the same league as Jaime Lynne's Lib Technologies. A very small company that provides a very decent product. I wouldn't rush out to get one, but I'd rock it. But they just don't compare with Ride when you get up into the Timeless and Prophet.......those decks are just rediculous.

And yes, we have hills :(. Blue Mountain is not a mountain at all. I just love seeing guys from out west come to Ontario and try to shred...too funny. It's a reality check......these dudes dont understand that when you bail in Ontario, it hurts...and you'll most likely break something. We dont have powder...ever. The diffrence between riding in ON and riding in BC is the diffrence between riding on a pillow and riding on concrete. I wanna go to Panorama again :(

Back