Anyone still use nitrous?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

c97x

sorry boss, its turbo
does anyone still use nitrous or did that go out of style a while back. i was looking at the kits, but then some people i goto college(for auto) with say you get like 4-5 shots before your motor shitts the bed. i have noe xpierience so i wanted to know

As long as the car is tuned for nitrous, you shouldn't have a problem. Many people throw nitrous on their car and they don't retard the timing or give it enough fuel. Eventually the detonation can melt through a piston. With nitrous, go with a "wet shot" because the kit is designed to give the engine the additional fuel needed along with the nitrous. A buddy of mine has one on a stock 5.0 mustang. Wet kit with a full throttle window over 2k rpm's. The only problem is that he has to fill the bottles every month.

yes, tons and tons of people still use nitrous. its not designed for normal engines however. nitrous lowers the temperature of the intake charge allowing the more air into combustion chamber than is usually possible (nitrous is also another source of oxygen in the combustion mixture, the above is just easier to understand).

Basically what you are doing with nitrous is shoving a lot more fuel and air into the engine than engineers had accounted for. There are safer ways to do this, but many people like the 'cheapness' of nitrous and dont actually bother to install it correctly using the right safety precautions.

If youre using a dry shot, its best to use some form of timing retarding, and also, you may want to look into a tuning method that allows you to tune your fuel maps on the fly (its safer, and the engine runs better than just simply retarding the timing).

The wet kit, which most people use, has two nozzles that squirt fuel and nitrous into the intake tube. This is a very simple install, but since no intake design is perfect, some cylinders get more nitrous than fuel (creating a lean condition), and detonation occurs. Detonation is what kills engines. (See above where i mentioned Dry shots....same thing happends there)

There is a third option that has a few variants to it, and it is by far the safest. Direct Port (or Direct Injection). This requires the installer to drill into the intake to fit suplimental nozzles for nitrous. Unlike wet kits, there are 4 sets of nozzles...one for each cylinder. The manufacturer provides instructions on which nozzles to use in which situation. This is the safest, but most expensive and difficult way to use nitrous. It has the greatest knock prevention, and it is the most reliable.

Just do some research and dont let people fuck with ya.

I will agree though, nitrous is not something i would run on a daily driver...its not worth the possible risk.

There are other risks involved, but thats kind of the quick and dirty of nitrous.

yeah, im not very well versed in nitrous thats why i asked everyone says something diffrent and since were all auto students everyone thinks they know it all. thanks

yes, tons and tons of people still use nitrous. its not designed for normal engines however. nitrous lowers the temperature of the intake charge allowing the more air into combustion chamber than is usually possible (nitrous is also another source of oxygen in the combustion mixture, the above is just easier to understand).

Basically what you are doing with nitrous is shoving a lot more fuel and air into the engine than engineers had accounted for. There are safer ways to do this, but many people like the 'cheapness' of nitrous and dont actually bother to install it correctly using the right safety precautions.

If youre using a dry shot, its best to use some form of timing retarding, and also, you may want to look into a tuning method that allows you to tune your fuel maps on the fly (its safer, and the engine runs better than just simply retarding the timing).

The wet kit, which most people use, has two nozzles that squirt fuel and nitrous into the intake tube. This is a very simple install, but since no intake design is perfect, some cylinders get more nitrous than fuel (creating a lean condition), and detonation occurs. Detonation is what kills engines. (See above where i mentioned Dry shots....same thing happends there)

There is a third option that has a few variants to it, and it is by far the safest. Direct Port (or Direct Injection). This requires the installer to drill into the intake to fit suplimental nozzles for nitrous. Unlike wet kits, there are 4 sets of nozzles...one for each cylinder. The manufacturer provides instructions on which nozzles to use in which situation. This is the safest, but most expensive and difficult way to use nitrous. It has the greatest knock prevention, and it is the most reliable.

Just do some research and dont let people fuck with ya.

I will agree though, nitrous is not something i would run on a daily driver...its not worth the possible risk.

There are other risks involved, but thats kind of the quick and dirty of nitrous.

Very helpful :thumbsup:

yeah millions of ppl still do but in four banger world there is dumbasses that slap a 150 shot in a stock as a block motor and then sooner then later theres a hole in there block bigger then the state of texas if you do get a kit build your motor to where it can take the hit n02 packs or else your out a motor fora wee bit

yeah millions of ppl still do but in four banger world there is dumbasses that slap a 150 shot in a stock as a block motor and then sooner then later theres a hole in there block bigger then the state of texas if you do get a kit build your motor to where it can take the hit n02 packs or else your out a motor fora wee bit

Please look at the dates before replying to posts dated last year. Thank you.

nitrogen dioxide. NO2. not N02.

lol i was wondering if he was gonna say he's put NO2 in his car....^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back