Anyone think this is a scam?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Shit, I haven't been here in a long ass time. So, yesterday I got a "job" offer, and it somewhat smells fishy, but I can't really think how I might get screwed on it. I've asked friends and family, but needed some more opinions. I couldn't really think of a better place to ask than here because the Member's Lounge seems to always be busy.

So this thing is about selling bikes. I saw an ad on Craigslist for a gig that said they needed help for a bike sales event. I responded, and yesterday got a response from the guy. The original ad had a legit phone number in it, but I emailed since it was late night. So this guy calls me, I missed the call, and I called him back. He says that he has a little business going selling beach cruisers. He basically orders those cheap chinese crap bikes and sells them through CL. He's from the bay area in CA, but has people selling them in Sacramento and Fresno areas. So he said that he wants to sell them here since there's a college and the beaches and stuff. he basically would rent a mini storage, load it up with bikes, and put up a CL ad. The ad would have my phone #, so a buyer would call me. I go get the bike and sell it to the person, and take $20 for each bike sold. The bikes come boxed up, 80% assembles, but if the person wants it fully assembled or delivered, it's on me to set a price and it's my money to keep. Periodically, I would deposit the other $ into a B of A account.

That's it. So the way I see it, this could either be a shady person doing business, or a smart way to sell stuff without having to have a storefront. I get my $ up front, so I can't get screwed there. I thought about whether these might be stolen or not, but it would be odd that they would have enought stolen bikes to constantly be selling them in multiple cities in CA. I don't have to front any money or anything, so it's basically nothing out of my pocket to do this, and the guy's not gonna know where I live. All he's basically gonna have is my name, phone # and email address.

So is there some obvious way that this is a scam and I'm not seeing it?

Oh, and I hope to get on here a little more often. I missed this place but have been busy with other things, mainly photography, so I haven't been trolling the forums like I used to do at work. Shit, there's not even any work in this place I moved to. I had a job for a few months at IHOP till the manager tried to steal some tips....Ahh, this is getting too long, gonna write another thread in a bit.

sounds preety legit. If all the bikes are the same kind and brand new then I don't think their stolen.

edit: after seeing the bike, i would pass. have you heard about the stereo scams? the ones they sell on the street then people have a shitty product? sounds the same. or maybe i'm just too conservative.

i bet after you sign up, he will ask you to wire some money. tell him you want to meet in person and see how it work. offer to bring cash. (doesn't matter what its for, just test him out) I just hate CL, i've been scammed before. due to my own greed and naivity.

or, he loads it with bikes... you sell one, and suddenly the container is empty and he blames it on you and makes you pay for the missing merchandise since you're the only one who had access to it.

And honestly, $20? you're going to sell what, 2 a week tops? waste of time

Yea, he's gonna actually drive down here in person with the bikes. I know about those shitty stereo scams.

or, he loads it with bikes... you sell one, and suddenly the container is empty and he blames it on you and makes you pay for the missing merchandise since you're the only one who had access to it.

And honestly, $20? you're going to sell what, 2 a week tops? waste of time
Good idea, didn't think of that. As for the $20, well, it's $20. There are NO jobs here, and the storage would basically be a block away.

if i were to do that, i would just front the cash and buy them free and clear. but it's not worth it. there is other work out there you can do. places are hiring, you just have to be willing to do the work.

I've emailed for some shitty jobs and gigs on CL lately, like digging holes and cealning and stuff like that, haven't got any replies, or they are too far away with too little pay to justify the drive.

I got unemployment, but that barely covers rent and either bills or food. I've been working on selling my photos, got a booth at the local farmer's market, but that's not stable yet to depend on it.

It isn't easy or free money, so it passes that sniff test. I would call it legit if the storage is in his name and in a secure lot with video security in place. Get different gate codes. And call around, and ask the storage place what kind of loss insurance is availabe. Make him pay for the coverage.

CL is garbage. everything on there is a scam.

what do you do? what is your background?

edit: imho, it isn't worth the risk. at one point, i was far more desperate than you. I invested some money into a CL scam. put me in a deeper hole. i was out my time AND money. it's just too easy for me. people take advantage in harsh times and screw people over. they have no soul.

For some reason, my gut's saying don't do it. The guy is calling right now, but I'm still not sure. He said average is 3 to 4 a week, but that doesn't seem likely here because I see bike ads stay up for quite a while here, especially during summer when all the college kids go home.

CL is garbage. everything on there is a scam.

what do you do? what is your background?

edit: imho, it isn't worth the risk. at one point, i was far more desperate than you. I invested some money into a CL scam. put me in a deeper hole. i was out my time AND money. it's just too easy for me. people take advantage in harsh times and screw people over. they have no soul.
My main experience is in CAD drafting. I've also worked in restaurants as a server. Drafting jobs are nonexistent here, and the serving ones are usually so shitty that I'll work my ass off to make less than my unemployment, plus I'll be having to pay for gas to go to work.

Last edited:
trust your gut man. trust your gut. everytime i dont' follow my gut instincts, i get fucked.

put a feeler out to see what happens.

keep looking for jobs. something will pop eventually.

ignore this guy. if he keeps calling, it's a scam. he is just fishing for a sucker.

sounds to me like your going to work off commission..i dunno,i wouldnt do it

Yea, but why is it a scam? I'm really not trying to be an idiot about it, but trying to justify a reason why I shouldn't just do it. It's really just a passive kind of job. Someone calls me, I set up something as if I were selling them something of my own basically. Everyone says pass, but is it just because you are skeptical about CL scams or because you have a specific reason to doubt it? I'm the most skeptical person, but even I'm having a hard time find a real reason why it's not legit.

And WTF, B, you got rid of the M? for a Hyundai?

it's a scam because if it was legit, he wouldn't be posting on CL for people to sell the shit.

It's a scam because if it was legit, you would need to front the money and hold the product.

It's a scam because you get a minimal amount of profit while assuming all the risk.

It's a scam because i can find NOTHING about "shire" bicycles other than CL posts.

It's a scam because it's too much work to only make $20 per sale.

Back