1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use vb here?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by cheese9988, Dec 17, 2006.

1. cheese9988

cheese9988 Senior Member VIP

I am trying to set a small program up for work. Basically retrieve a set of test points from an excel file, have a program import them and then control our standards. VB is an easy language for us and excel would make it easy for the technicians to change the data whenever they wanted. I have looked in a couple vb forums without much luck. The best one I found said to add a reference to excel and then some code, but it wasn't a complete set. Anyone know of a good site for this?

2. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

excel really isnt a good datasource. if you want to use excel, the best way to do it for your programs sake is save a worksheet as a tab delimited file and then import it into mysql or mssql (oracle works too, but god help you if you wanna use a 20k database for a "small" program).

What im saying is excel straight sucks for this. You could make some kind of graphical interface to make inputing the data easier for the average user and skip the whole resaving of the file step.

java will actually be very good to do this. we had a guy do something that felt a lot like excel in ajax. works very well.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

make it web based.... asp with an access database. probably your best bet.

4. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

werd, good idea. and access can incorporate vb is you need to have back end functions.

we had an access database at my old office that actually had an autodialer built into the form. cool stuff from antiquated software.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted