Anyone wanna help me with some Diag?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackFrog

Neighborhood Lush
VIP
91 CRX Si - Bone stock (except for removing the intake resonator :D )

Going to lunch today, car fired right up, i rolled down the windows, and it died. wouldnt restart.

Check for spark, there was none. So i put in a distributer.

Still didnt start. Pulled the vent tube going from the valve cover into the intake tube and sprayed some brakekleen in there. It fired up and ran until the brakekleen was gone. So that makes me think fuel pump.

Pull out the rear compartment, the fuel pump isnt actually there. I think its either the wires for the sending unit, or the fuel gauge (its got an external pump mounted towards the center of the car, in from the LR tire). Anways, there was power going to those wires, occasionally.

At this point i remember about the problems with Main Relays. So i go on the computer, and the component locator says the main is under the drivers side dash, on the left kick panel. The thing it points me to does not at all look like a main, but does get power when the ignition is switched on and off. When i first tapped the relay, the car fired right up. After trying that again though, it wont start anymore.

Im gonna go back tomorrow and test the fuel pump (which i really dont want to do) According to Mitchell i have to drop the tank, which isnt gonna be fun.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or a direction you can point me in? Im leaning towards main relay. Is the one under the drivers side dash even the main? Seemed small to me, only had 4 wires going in/out of it. Anything helps guys, thanks.

-Chris

I would put my bets on the main relay. If you leave the windows down after it won't start and come back like 15-30 min later it should start. It just got warm today so you should probably replace it because this summer will suck if you don't.

turned out the timing belt jumped a tooth or 7. i have records of it being done march of last year from when i bought it, but i guess the guy that did it didnt tension it right or something. Now all i gotta do is put the interior back together and she should be all set.

thanks jeef. And how much did you bet? ;)

-Chris

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Apr 20 2004, 05:27 PM
thanks jeef. And how much did you bet? ;)

-Chris

That was a very good guess...would have been mine.

Back