anyone who done a h23>h22...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DiGiTal66

title pretty much explains it... i love the torque she got now around town, but i want vtec and just dont trust doing the head swap. i'd like to know if the low end drops significantly when going from the h23>h22... obviously i have a prelude, 92 si, to be exact. thanx to anyone who responds

I think that, if you swap a JDM H22, the torque output is about the same. Max torque may occur slightly higher in the JDM H22, but the extra 40 horses you'll see will greatly offset a very minimal max torque loss.

I kinda agree, kinda disagree. I had an F22. The low end is not that much better. I love the zing at the top, and technically the numbers are higher. But if you rarely go over 5-6k on the tach, then it is not worth your trouble. If you are a true racer, ricer, or just a top end lover, then the H22 is great. Your judgement will depend on cost, availability, labor, and the way you drive.

Yeah, now that I think of it, you're kinda right. Maybe it was the switch from the F22 with a stock tranny to the H22 with a grabby clutch and lightened flywheel. I mean, I felt the extra 15 or so foot-pounds down low, but as you said, it's up top that you really feel where your money went. The H22 pulled ALL the way to fuel cut...whereas the F22 kinda stopped pulling around 5000 and you could actually feel the power drop off as you got to 6300 or so rpm.

I agree, from 1 to 5 grand I felt that the h22a drove sort of like an h23a1 but when the h22a1 hits VTEC its over!!!!!!!!!

in my opinion i would do h22a bottom is ok good torque and all but when you hit that vtec you will fall in love. but if you want the best of both worlds do the h23 vtec engine. its the best of both worlds. good lowen power with the power of vtec on high end.

i agree, i am doing a h23 vtec project rite now cant wait until it is done, hope i get the best of both worlds. torque + hp = :thumbsup:

Back