anyone work at honda ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AHHVTEC

VIP
any regular members here that works or has worked at the Honda dealer Ive ran into a problem and was gona rant on it a bit.I need some insight.

Last edited:
ok here goes bare with me im gona make this as short as possible, about 4 weeks ago my old ladies 2012 civic would not start the battery was dead, got it jumped off then i checked out everything,well my meter is showing that the car is only putting out 12.2 volts so that tells me there is something up with the charging system, so i took it back to the dealer and let them know bc its still got a year warranty left on it and its only got 12k miles on it. well they kept it for the day called me back said they couldnt find a thing wrong with it, well 2 days later it does it again, this time i noticed that with the headlights on its putting out 14.5 volts but when everything is off and the car is just running its still only putting out 12.2, so take it back to the dealer they said they couldnt do anything so i prove to them that its only putting out 12.2, so they keep the car again, this time they tell me they fixed it that the ecu needed to be re flashed, and sure enough that seemed to have fixed it bc it was putting out 14.5 with lights on and off, fast forward to yesterday, dead again jump it off and sure enough meter says back to 12.2. so took it back, they kept the car until this morning, they said yet again it was fixed that it was just the battery, i told them that had nothing to do with it putting out only 12.2 he replied with well its fixed come get it, so i get up there check the car before i even leave the lot, same thing 12.2 told them to bring the tech out so i could show the tech this time. showed him and we went back and forth for about an hour of total bs. he made the comment let me get my machine, so he does and his machine says the same thing, then he made the comment let me get another 2012 civic we have on the lot to prove to me that all will put out different volts and that its suppose to be only 12 volts until load is on it bs, i said fine, he pulls the other car up and yup that car is putting out 14.5 and mine is only 12.2, i then said now what? he said well let me take both of them in the back and figure out why one car is good but the other is not. calls me back later and tells me he called honda corporation for advise and he told me they said they dont go by volts they only go by amps to run these set of test and if that checks good theres nothing we can do. so all the test he done checked out good. but my meter is still saying 12.2 so i called honda corp myself and right in the middle of me telling them the problem the guy says well theres your problem its only putting out 12.2 volts i said youre correct but honda dealer will not believe me and said honda corp dont go by volts, the guy then said thats bull if its only 12.2 it will just die again. this i know. he advised me to get a second option at another dealer. then go from there. but where do i go from there ? bc im pretty sure they will not find nothing either.all i have is my little meter and the car dieing every few weeks.so do i lawyer up or what. sorry for the long read lol.

WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

bring it to another dealership and have them check it out

sounds like it could be a bad alternator, bad voltage regulator (part of the alternator), bad ground... or combo of those

take it to another dealer.
get a second opinion. chances are they will find the actual problem and fix it.
call honda corp and file a complaint. call the dealer and make a complaint with the GM.
if it was warranty, you should get an email or actual mail from honda with a survey. rip them a new one and give them a complete shit review.
if you do not get this survey within a couple of weeks, call honda corp and ask about it, chances are they may have changed your info in the system to prevent you from getting a survey.

either way, go out of your way to another dealer and you may have a much more pleasant experience. you cannot lump all dealers into the same category, some service depts will bend over backwards to get it fixed. and some that will do whatever they can to bend you over.

Like theyve said, Id go to another dealership. I know a few techs. Some of em are idiots. The only reason they can be techs is because they can pass a class.

thanks guys, i did not know that about the survey, ive yet to get one from the fist trip up there so im gonna check into that. and im going to the other dealer this thursday. i will post up and let everyone know how it goes thanks again.

yeah, any time you have a car taken in for a warranty issue you should get a survey. dealers live off of those surveys. thats where they make money. literally, its preposterous how much they get for meeting the standards every month.

also, i agree with the above statement about some techs being idiots. like the "master tech" at my shop. a couple days go a porter accidentally reversed the cables on the jump box. she did a good job, melted half of the negative terminal, it was impressive. but, the main fuse blew immediately. the "master tech" told her immediately that she fried the ecu. didnt even have his hands on the car yet. but, told her that. she came to me needing a new main fuse and told me what he said. i told her that he was wrong. i asked how quick the fuse popped, she said immediately. i told her that that fuse is there to protect all of the electronics on the car and if it were to take longer than a few seconds to pop then maybe it could affect the ecu, but if it didnt pop and she actually tried to start it, most likely would fry the ecu. but, since it popped, most likely all is well. not to stress. he heard this, and stated "that fuse is only there to protect the wiring, not the electronics."

absolutely dumbfounded. just because they work on cars, doesnt mean that they know what they are doing.

update, went to the other dealer for the second opinion, they said nothing could be found wrong with it, that these newer civics are normal to only run 12.5 volts, but no one could answer me as to why 3 other civic that are the same year trim and all put out 14.5 and this one puts out 12.5. so called honda corp back and now we are just at a wait and see type thing if it does it again for me to call honda corp asap.

some thoughts:

swap the alt with one of the working cars?
ELD in the dist acting up? (do these newr cars even have that?)

they wont even touch it unless the tools hondas using says that the part is bad. he named off a crap ton of test that they tried and all showed good.including the eld.

Back