applo landing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

"We can put a man on the moon, but we can't bomb a tiny Asian nation into the Stone Age?" :bo: :lol: :bo:

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Mar 2 2005, 11:55 AM
someone post up the pic from the onion of the article "HOLY SHIT WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!"
[post=468241]Quoted post[/post]​

Solar wind is not actual wind like we have on earth. Our wind is air molecules bumping against each other and moving around in a relatively dense atmosphere. Solar wind on the otherhand is a superheated mixture of gasses that come off of a stars corona at ~1 million MPH and would never be blowing a flag around on the moon, 93 million miles or so away from the nearest star.

And yes, we did land on the moon. We even left behind mirrors that are still visible today, and thats how we know the moon is slowly slipping away.

ok, here's my opinion, i think there's too many variables here. i don't care if we ever landed, if we were first, or if we lied. it wouldn't surprise me on any of those bases. true, it looks like there's no shadow. the others are from different angles. i've always been fascinated by astronomy... i just don't care about stuff like this where it becomes a huge issue. lol

i forget the guys name, but there is a dude who worked for nasa in the time period of "the first moon landing"
he said that they rehearsed the landing in some desert, might have been arizona, but they practiced it exactly as to how it would happen.
and it wasnt only rehearsed to the T, but it was filmed.

he said that the government faked the first moon landing in order to win the cold war, which i wouldnt put that past our government. sure we have been to the moon since, but who can really say about the first time.
there is tons of evidence pointing to it being a fake.

i like a good conspiracy, makes the world more interesting.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 2 2005, 10:56 AM
a16_m_3021.gif

look at all the craters... damn
shows just how harsh an enviroment out solar system really is...

a huge ball of rock and ice slamming into another heavenly body...
it just blows my mind...
[post=468211]Quoted post[/post]​

Aww dude, that's nothing.

The winds on Neptune reach over 1,000 miles per hour, the fastest ever recorded.

Venus' surface has volcanic flows like we have rivers. The Venera probes that landed there lasted a little less than a couple hours before they were melted and crushed. The temperature there is so high that rocks glow at night.

Io has so much volcanic activity that it's surface changes daily. You cannot make an accurate map of Io before it becomes obsolete.

Pluto is so cold that as it reaches its farthest point away from the sun it's entire atmosphere solidifies and falls to the surface.

Triton, the largest moon of Neptune, has geysers that spray straight up and take a perfect 90 degree turn due to the wind forces. Triton also orbits Neptune backwards, in a retrograde orbit. That means that eventually Triton will slam into Neptune. That'll be some fireworks. :ph34r:

Venus' day is longer than its year.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head :p

Originally posted by nfn15037+Mar 2 2005, 01:25 PM-->
@Mar 2 2005, 11:55 AM
someone post up the pic from the onion of the article "HOLY SHIT WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!"
[post=468241]Quoted post[/post]​

Solar wind is not actual wind like we have on earth. Our wind is air molecules bumping against each other and moving around in a relatively dense atmosphere. Solar wind on the otherhand is a superheated mixture of gasses that come off of a stars corona at ~1 million MPH and would never be blowing a flag around on the moon, 93 million miles or so away from the nearest star.

And yes, we did land on the moon. We even left behind mirrors that are still visible today, and thats how we know the moon is slowly slipping away.
[post=468296]Quoted post[/post]​

True. We should not have a moon as big as ours is. Ever read the theory of Orpheus? It's the only theory that accurately explains why our moon is so big.

Originally posted by micah@Mar 2 2005, 01:00 PM
i forget the guys name, but there is a dude who worked for nasa in the time period of "the first moon landing"
he said that they rehearsed the landing in some desert, might have been arizona, but they practiced it exactly as to how it would happen.
and it wasnt only rehearsed to the T, but it was filmed.

he said that the government faked the first moon landing in order to win the cold war, which i wouldnt put that past our government. sure we have been to the moon since, but who can really say about the first time.
there is tons of evidence pointing to it being a fake.

i like a good conspiracy, makes the world more interesting.
[post=468313]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry man- I've met the surviving Apollo crew and mission control crew in person.... they were there, trust me.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Mar 2 2005, 02:05 PM
Aww dude, that's nothing.

The winds on Neptune reach over 1,000 miles per hour, the fastest ever recorded.

Venus' surface has volcanic flows like we have rivers. The Venera probes that landed there lasted a little less than a couple hours before they were melted and crushed. The temperature there is so high that rocks glow at night.

Io has so much volcanic activity that it's surface changes daily. You cannot make an accurate map of Io before it becomes obsolete.

Pluto is so cold that as it reaches its farthest point away from the sun it's entire atmosphere solidifies and falls to the surface.

Triton, the largest moon of Neptune, has geysers that spray straight up and take a perfect 90 degree turn due to the wind forces. Triton also orbits Neptune backwards, in a retrograde orbit. That means that eventually Triton will slam into Neptune. That'll be some fireworks. :ph34r:

Venus' day is longer than its year.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head :p
[post=468319]Quoted post[/post]​

And thats all right in our *tiny* little solar neighborhood......

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Mar 2 2005, 02:21 PM
damn, how did you manage to do that? LUCKY!
[post=468366]Quoted post[/post]​

I was on a little project called "The Challenger Center" during its birth back in the 80s- it was an educational group put together by the Challenger widows to continue the mission to teach school age kids science through space exploration- usually through classes and simulated space missions that the kids would be able to take part in. Each year there was a new simulated mission, and I was a part of it for 3-4 years- and at the "launch" of each one of these new missions, original NASA crew and mission control guys would come through and participate. The second year's mission was a lunar landing, and all the Apollo 11 guys came into town to play.

Now I'm probably going to regret this, so I'll only leave the pictures up for one day... but here are some of the shots from WAY back (1988-1989)

Challenger Center "pilot mission" in summer 1988
What "Mission Control" looked like in its first iteration - I'm alllll the way on the right
Me, John Sumners, Dr. Carolyn Sumners (my old boss, she headed this Challenger Center thing here in Houston), my brother Thomas
What the "Simulator" looked like in its first iteration... I helped redesign/rebuild it several times
Mission Control again- this time I'm in the very center
My 10 year old self standing next to the CC sign in the basement of the Houston Museum of Natural Science
My brother and I with June Scobee (one of the Challenger widows)
I forget who she is, but she's another one of the Challenger widows
Two more Challenger widows

Challenger Center "moon landing mission" pilot in summer 1989
Me sitting with the guy who handled navigation in mission control for Apollo 11 (forgot his name)
More mission control guys
Big group of gawky kids that were on the "pilot mission" that the media watched/filmed - I'm on the right, brother is on the left
Buzz Aldrin giving a speech to kick everything off

Interesting trivia- my brother wrote about half of the software that the Challenger Center used for its first 3-4 years of operation, and he's now up at MIT deep in the mess of things writing network security code. B, I know you've heard of Kerberos...

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 2 2005, 03:37 PM
I was on a little project called "The Challenger Center" during its birth back in the 80s

Damn mike, you're old....

edit: and has anyone seen the picture from the moon landing where there's a coke bottle cap on the ground? :huh:

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Mar 2 2005, 04:28 PM-->
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww how cute. :D

Damn Mike, you just looked smart, even back then. :bo:
[post=468427]Quoted post[/post]​

Awwwwwwwwwwwww thanks! It has to be the bowl cut- that really sets things off. :lol: Thank goodness I didn't need glasses yet.

civicious
@Mar 2 2005, 04:34 PM
Damn mike, you're old....
edit: and has anyone seen the picture from the moon landing where there's a coke bottle cap on the ground? :huh:
[post=468436]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup. If your profile is correct, I'm like... 10 years older than you. :p

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Mar 2 2005, 01:31 PM
i've always been fascinated by astronomy... i just don't care about stuff like this where it becomes a huge issue. lol
[post=468300]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you sure that you're not confusing astronomy with astrology? lol... j/k

do you think i'm a stupid blonde? *twists hair in fingers while smacking gum* like, oh my god, how could i be so totally stupid?! *giggle giggle* jk jk <~~ i added that so my not funny joke would look like i was kidding, when indeed i'm not.

*sigh* what was the point of that? probably the same point i'm about to make here... maybe what i posted was pointless, but why'd you post that to make me look stupid??

maybe you really were kidding, and i read into that incorrectly, but it just seems that lately you've chosen who you comment about.

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Mar 2 2005, 08:32 PM
do you think i'm a stupid blonde? *twists hair in fingers while smacking gum* like, oh my god, how could i be so totally stupid?! *giggle giggle* jk jk <~~ i added that so my not funny joke would look like i was kidding, when indeed i'm not.

*sigh* what was the point of that? probably the same point i'm about to make here... maybe what i posted was pointless, but why'd you post that to make me look stupid??

maybe you really were kidding, and i read into that incorrectly, but it just seems that lately you've chosen who you comment about.
[post=468517]Quoted post[/post]​

Grab a copy of Celestia :)

Back