Are ebay products crap in general?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

New2hondas

I'm new and not real familiar with some of these brands. What do you all think?

I'm looking at the following:

-underdrive pulleys, adj cam gears (are they accurate/balanced)(bomz/megan/etc)
-tubular turbo manifold ( by stone something for like $150/also obx)
-turbo kits from same company for like $500
-short shifters
-fuel rails (obx)
-lightweight flywheels/cluthc sets

Thanks for the help
New2hondas
Matt

turbo manifold is by stone mountain racing, its ss autochrome under a different name, i have heard real bad stories about the turbo kits on ebay,i like a lot of the megan racing stuff,and i thought about buying a set of bomz seats for a while until reality set it in.basically if its not something u know has a good quaility name stay away from it,you dont want to be the friend of a friend that just got shafted by a egay turbo setup,the ss auto manis can hold up for a while if u brace the crap out of them.some one on here has a pic of it braced to all hell but i dont remeber who.any ways good luck.

as far as the turbo manifolds go, i have one...i've been using it for about a year and no problems at all, just had to brace it. i also bought a cheap ass short shifter off of ebay, i forget which brand, but hey, it works fine. been using it for about 2 years now, no problems.

Originally posted by New2hondas@Oct 25 2004, 11:29 PM
-underdrive pulleys, adj cam gears (are they accurate/balanced)(bomz/megan/etc)
-tubular turbo manifold ( by stone something for like $150/also obx)
-turbo kits from same company for like $500
-short shifters
-fuel rails (obx)
-lightweight flywheels/cluthc sets

Thanks for the help
New2hondas
Matt
[post=407442]Quoted post[/post]​

-dunno, never really thought about underdrive pulleys
-usually turbo manifolds will come with a good turbo kit, ie edelbrock.
-if you can find a good turbo KIT for 500... you've stumbled across a gold mine.
-short shifter... skunk2, wish i had time to put mine in
-whats wrong with your stock fuel rail?
-flywheel=Fidanza, clutch=ACT

with ebay you have to be careful. just because it says mugen doesnt mean its mugen. even on ebay, you get what you pay for. bargains are there but you have to know your shit. just be careful and try not to get burned.

Megan Racing is trying to sell stuff by looking like "Mugen". It's never a good thing when a company is relying on brand confusion to sell product instead of trying to actually make something good. I've seen a few reviews (with pictures of failures) of Megan Racing junk on Honda-Tech, and I must say that I'm NOT impressed.

Just think about what parts really do require some quality workmanship to be reliable on your car- then you can make the judgment on whether or not a no-name or knockoff brand part would be ok for you.

i have a couple of ebay products on my car, and im happy with all of them. my strut bars, intake, and exhaust were all cheap (70 shipped for 4 strut bars, 35 shipped for the intake, 200 shipped for the 2.5" exhaust with resonator), all do exactly what they are supposed to do, and the quality, while not top notch, are all serviceable and they work. the way i look at it is if they dont move. dont support anything important, or require any sort of engineering, ebay no names works fine.

i have bought a ctr n1 pulley, act prolight flywheel, carbon fiber hood(you get what you pay for as far as hoods go) short shifters and a few other things all of wich i was happy with. i think ebay is good for used honda parts too.

The intakes are one of the few things I would say are quality.

Its pretty hard to mess up an intake, when the main things to look at are diameter and length. The filters often are sub-par, but a K&N will fix that.

The short shifters I wouldn't get, as most of them are alluminum. The chances of them snapping are pretty high.

The mugen/etc headers are about on par with the DC 4-2-1's. Not great, but better than stock.

Everything I've bought off ebay was decent quality. I've boughten intakes, engines, transmission, flywheels, clutches, short shifters (they're not the best but does it's job), exhausts, catalytic converters, turboes, etc. I never had a problem with ANY of the things I bought from ebay. Maybe it's because I didn't buy the complete junk and would pay a little extra for what I thought was better.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Oct 26 2004, 04:28 PM
i have a couple of ebay products on my car, and im happy with all of them. my strut bars, intake, and exhaust were all cheap (70 shipped for 4 strut bars, 35 shipped for the intake, 200 shipped for the 2.5" exhaust with resonator), all do exactly what they are supposed to do, and the quality, while not top notch, are all serviceable and they work. the way i look at it is if they dont move. dont support anything important, or require any sort of engineering, ebay no names works fine.
[post=407708]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, all those parts really do require real engineering for the best performance. Most of the no-name eBay brands just copy the good quality stuff out there, then build it out of lower quality materials. They save cash on R&D because they did none, and they save cash on raw materials. They save even more on service and administration because they're generally not as big as the guys with real engineering behind their products- so that's how you get similar parts that still help a little bit with performance and are cheap without having to deal with the big guys.

I still wouldn't buy the cheapo no-name parts though. It's not like buying generic drugs, where you still have to pass some government regulations for quality before you can come to market.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Oct 25 2004, 11:07 PM
as far as a short shifter, Skunk2 :worthy:
[post=407453]Quoted post[/post]​

definitely...it took 2 1/2 years to break my ractive short shifter...but it still broke. i know that i'll NEVER break the skunk2 that i replaced it with

Back