Are Shelled Engines Worth Anything?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JohnnyWadd

So, I hit a freak thunderstorm this weekend in my 1994 Accord V-Tech. Couldn't see where I was going very well and was trying to get to safety. It was raining too hard to see the flooding in the road. I hit standing water doing about 40 mph and water got into my engine through my intake system. I ended up snapping a connecting rod on my compression stroke. So, now I need a new car or a new engine... haven't decided which.

My question has to do with whether or not the shelled motor is worth anything. Now, I know I can recycle it or take it to the salvage yard and get something out of it. I've heard, though, that Honda motors in whatever condition are worth a little bit of money. After all, they're aluminum, aren't they?

Can anybody shed some light on this? I wouldn't even know where to go...

They're mostly aluminum; they still have steel hardware and sleeves(or FRP sleeves). If you remove all of the steel(and clean it), you can scrap it as all aluminum and get more than if you were to just toss it altogether. All depends on how much work you're willing to do.

that engine isnt worth much dude.... now if it was a type r motor with only a broken rod, then you'd have something.

Make a table out of it in a workshop...

a scrap yard will give you about $20 bucks for it if you're lucky, and it's basically impossible to fix without getting a new shortblock/casting.

Back