Are we ALONE?

What are your opinions

• yes...there are to many stars with planets, and some planets can produce life...and intellegence.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure....Scully keeps Moulder in the dark!!! Lucky baste

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by saturn_boy96+Nov 20 2003, 06:12 PM-->
@Nov 20 2003, 06:09 PM
they did find life on mars. tiny fossilized bacteria :)

thats untrue, they found water inside of rocks that were from mars, and the assumption was made that if there is water in the rocks there could be life.

no i think you need to go research it again, they did find bacteria, fossilized, as in no longer living.

Originally posted by saturn_boy96+Nov 20 2003, 06:15 PM-->
Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 20 2003, 06:14 PM
saturn_boy96
@Nov 20 2003, 06:11 PM
ok, we will leave religion out of it, but only to a point, because you can see God in more than just "religion".

one word, Entropy.

entropy says that everything goes from a state of order to a state of chaos.  its been proven.  nothing can go from a state of chaos to a state of order without an outside force acting on it.

and thats why the entire universe is in chaos. nothing is in order. hence nothing outside the universe is acting on it.

which is why evolution is impossible.

how does that prove evolution to be impossible? when talking about evolution you have to see it as many smaller closed systems rather then it all being one big one (the universe). evolution is said to have started when all the right conditions RANDOMLY happened at the right time and right place. whether it was a certain temperature and certain molecules where ever, and a bolt of lightning (which could be an outside force) could have sparked life.

edit: the bolt of lightning thing was just to show that it could be an outside force acting on a smaller closed system. i in no way am saying thats how it happened

Originally posted by Hexen+Nov 20 2003, 06:08 PM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 20 2003, 03:00 PM
Hexen
@Nov 20 2003, 05:56 PM
According to the astromy class I took...

We all know you paid attention in astronomy, but you must have fallen asleep in English... <_<

Someone has nothing better to do that find typos.

I'd hate to sit around and have the highlight of my day be finding people spell the word Astronomy wrong.

I'm staying out of this arguement...so I just decided to point that out. I do have better things to do, but seeing as how I just got home and I am relaxing from a stressful day, I'm not going to do anything.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Nov 20 2003, 06:19 PM-->
Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 20 2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 20 2003, 06:14 PM
saturn_boy96
@Nov 20 2003, 06:11 PM
ok, we will leave religion out of it, but only to a point, because you can see God in more than just "religion".

one word, Entropy.

entropy says that everything goes from a state of order to a state of chaos.  its been proven.  nothing can go from a state of chaos to a state of order without an outside force acting on it.

and thats why the entire universe is in chaos. nothing is in order. hence nothing outside the universe is acting on it.

which is why evolution is impossible.

how does that prove evolution to be impossible? when talking about evolution you have to see it as many smaller closed systems rather then it all being one big one (the universe). evolution is said to have started when all the right conditions RANDOMLY happened at the right time and right place. whether it was a certain temperature and certain molecules where ever, and a bolt of lightning (which could be an outside force) could have sparked life.

edit: the bolt of lightning thing was just to show that it could be an outside force acting on a smaller closed system. i in no way am saying thats how it happened

dude, that doesn't make sense, maybe it could happen once, but for an organism to RANDOMLY keep on having all the right conditions without ever having to start completely over?

it just wouldn't happen.

for reference, that theory was said to have started the first organic molecules. not organisms. baby steps dude, baby steps. evolution is a verly long and slow process.

how could we all have come from the same organic molecules?

here is a quote form Dr. Lee Spetner (of John's Hopkin's University)-

"in all the reading I’ve done in the life-sciences literature, I’ve never found a mutation that added information...All point mutations that have been studied on the molecular level turn out to reduce the genetic information and not to increase it... The NDT [neo-Darwinian theory] is supposed to explain how the information of life has been built up by evolution. The essential biological difference between a human and a bacterium is in the information they contain. All other biological differences follow from that. The human genome has much more information than does the bacterial genome. Information cannot be built up by mutations that lose it. A business can’t make money by losing it a little at a time"

If one molecule evolved in the water... it would split and find out how to reproduce.

Now eventually some would evolve to land and some would stay in water. Depending on where they traveled they would adapt to different environments.
We'll evolve to something greater I believe also... just might take millions of years (if we don't kill ourselves off first.)
Like people, we're all very similar... but evnironment changes how we look (skin color due to heat/absorbsion of sun..etc.).

Originally posted by Hexen@Nov 20 2003, 05:56 PM
Meaning, if you belive in science as I do.
There should be about 10,000 planets in the Universe that are capable of sustaining life. Now the process on earth that created life was not all that complicated (becasue of the planet we live on).

So I figure at least SOME of these 10,000 that could support life, have developed it.

The process that created life has not been proven. That is the main loophole in the theory of evolution.

i am not related to a monkey.

God created us, he said he did, and God does not lie because God is truth.

Is it really that hard to believe that humans evolved from a monkey? Do some research on speciation and you will soon understand that evolution does happen.

And once again, using the bible as a reference is foolish as the bible's own validity is questioned. Why believe in a book that is chock full of double standards, contradicitons, cruelty, errors. etc...

what if God was the cause of the Big Bang, then sat back and watched everything evolve? to me this seems like a nice compromise.

hello and welcome to the god of the gaps. god fills in the gaps that science cannot prove :roll:

It is simply a statement of pessimism about the future progress of science

how could we all have come from the same organic molecules

how could we have all been created by an unseen supernatural being with no proof of his existence? how is he omniscient omnipotent and omnipresent when there is much evil in this world? how do animals speak human language? i can go on, but i think you see my point ;)

do you even know how evolution works? it all branches off into things that are different. then organisms started to form. in organisms, sometimes a mutation will occur, randomly. in some cases this mutation will put the certain individual at an advantage over the other organisms in survival. this one will mate and pass his traits on, while the others with less desireable traits slowly die off. all you are left with is the better adapted organism. this continues to happen indefinitely, and is a very slow process. if the mutation occurs so many times the organism slowly becomes a completely different organism and will branch off in many directions.

and to answer the original question-

yes i believe we are the only forms of life in this planet, simply because i have not seen or found reason to believe otherwise

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Nov 20 2003, 06:36 PM
with the sheer size of the universe it would be arogant to think we were alone

this is a foolish statement

explain your reasoning

Originally posted by SolReaver@Nov 20 2003, 06:35 PM
...And once again, using the bible as a reference is foolish as the bible's own validity is questioned. Why believe in a book that is chock full of double standards, contradicitons, cruelty, errors. etc...

where? what errors? double standards? if you can prove one i will belive you becasue the bible is whole and must be taken as such.

how could we all have come from the same organic molecules

how could we have all been created by an unseen supernatural being with no proof of his existence? how is he omniscient omnipotent and omnipresent when there is much evil in this world? how do animals speak human language? i can go on, but i think you see my point ;)

how can you say he is unseen? look at how a baby is formed in the womb. how can you say that is an accident?

look at how trees convert CO2 into oxygen through photosynthesis. dude, its a miracle that had to have been designed.

look at a polar bears fur. its appears to be white, but when its analyzed it is actaully clear, and it can create energy for the bear. design is in everything.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Nov 20 2003, 06:37 PM
do you even know how evolution works? it all branches off into things that are different. then organisms started to form. in organisms, sometimes a mutation will occur, randomly. in some cases this mutation will put the certain individual at an advantage over the other organisms in survival. this one will mate and pass his traits on, while the others with less desireable traits slowly die off. all you are left with is the better adapted organism. this continues to happen indefinitely, and is a very slow process. if the mutation occurs so many times the organism slowly becomes a completely different organism and will branch off in many directions.

here ya go incase you missed it

""in all the reading I’ve done in the life-sciences literature, I’ve never found a mutation that added information...All point mutations that have been studied on the molecular level turn out to reduce the genetic information and not to increase it."

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Nov 20 2003, 06:45 PM
look at how a baby is formed in the womb. how can you say that is an accident?

I can't help it... I gotta say it... "But that skank ho said she was on the pill!"

Back