arg!!! I hate california

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok i have a JDM b20a with header (DC), exasut, and cam gears(set at zero) in my prelude. 2 days ago i re-did all my timing from TDC when i put the cam gears in. I went to get a smog check today, but luckily before he started the test i asked the mecanic what he thought. He said it seemed ok but i insited that he manualy checked the car first. He did so with no hesitation and fortunately he was having a good day and didnt charge me. Well in the end of his inspection, he checks the exaust with his little machine. Come to find out. my motor will NOT pass smog. So i called the whole thing off and i am trying to figure out how to lower my emmisions.

On the machine the Exaust levels are suppose to be 100 and below. My car registers at 234+ up to about 360 at idle. When he reved the car up the emmisions gradually came down to 34. My car also has a rough idle and seems to be missfiring according to the mechanic(i noticed this long ago, but thought nothing of it). I replaced one of my O2 sensors and that seemed to help a little. The only problem i seem to be having the emmisions at or below 100 at idle. ALSO starting tommaro, the Smog place's are REQUIRED to smog all vehicles on a dyno so that they can put a load on the motor. How do you guys think this will affedct the result. Any comments are appreciated. thanks for taking the time to read this.

:cliffs:
My car wont pass smog. I NEED to know any tricks to lower my emmisions. I have a b20a in my prelude with header exasut cam gears(set at zero) and thats about it. HELP ME!!

EDIT: cyl. number one seems to be miss firing.

alright, here are some things to check:
PCV valve replace it as it is cheap.
Cat, make sure it is still good.
Change your spark plugs, wires cap and rotor.
Stock cam gears
stock intake
clean your throtle plate, believe it or not it helped my buddy out.
check your timing again
and try another machine too if all else fails.
good luck man and give us your results as I am about to go down the same road...

if its misfiring, the first thing to do is replace the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. also make sure you have a clean air filter.

After you fix or repair any sensors and clean up the motor.

you can always fool the emissions test machine.

here's how.

If you just want it to pass here's a suggestion.
Go to home depot buy denatured alcohol (marine feul) or MEK if you can find it.
run your gas take almost empty, make a mixture of denatured alcohol to gas
the ratio is 2 part denatured alcohol to 1 part gas (example 2 gals : 1 gal)
you will pass emissions with flying colors. the mix doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

but if you really wanna fix the problem I'm not to sure were to start looking as it could be anything.

It's similar to running E85 , it's a newer alternative fuel being used these days. which burns way the f*ck cleaner than petrol.

Some literature to read up on about new alternative fuels.

e85fuel.com
Ethanol Info

--
I think B. should take my info on cheaply passing emissions test and make it a sticky.
--

Ive read about these mixtures. Are they safe to run in my car? Also, thanks everyone for your help.

Since my motor is from JDM land, could that be a reason why it has such high emmisions? What is on the USDM that is not on the JDM? As for stock cam gears; as long as i have my AEM set to zero, shouldn't that be fine?

EDIT: will the mixture make my car run any hotter, cause my temp gauge doesnt work. <_< ..stupid gauges...

i had a similar problem and i got some stuff called emissions pass protection by berryman form autozone it was worth using it brougth my Nox and Co2 down also if you are haveing trouble with hydrocarbons try an octane boster and make sure that you car is at normal operating temp when you bring it in

the feul mixtures are safe, just read the info on those websites.
and you're only going to need to run this mixture during your drive to the
emissions test and then to a gas station afterward.

but as much as I can remember, the feul is safe to use as long as it's not more than an 85% denatured alcohol mix (ie 8.5gals denatured alcohol to 1gal gas)

i dont know if this would work but i would definatly try it retarded your intake came 1degree and advance your exhaust cam 1degree or do two on each side
the idea is reducing your overlap if you have your intake cam open later in its cycle and your exhaust cam open earlier in its cycle thus diluting the charge with fresh air i dont know if im right but in my head it makes sense like those cats that cheat and draw fresh air into them anyone else elaborate on this

Back