Army ??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I hate it when people say the army is stupid, i was in reserves joined my senior year of highschool under the D E P. I scored 96 on my ASVAB. Wish i had a little more sence back then I could have had most any job I want in the military
dude, it's a proven fact. when the asvab standards to get into the army are lower than they are for the air force, you are going to get more stupid people. yes the air force has stupid people. yes, the army has smart people. but if your standards are lower, you are going to get lower people. plus there are more technical jobs in the air force than there is in the army and marines.

dude, it's a proven fact. when the asvab standards to get into the army are lower than they are for the air force, you are going to get more stupid people. yes the air force has stupid people. yes, the army has smart people. but if your standards are lower, you are going to get lower people. plus there are more technical jobs in the air force than there is in the army and marines.
that would be just like saying the air force is full of fat slobs because of virtually no physical fittness standards

that would be just like saying the air force is full of fat slobs because of virtually no physical fittness standards
well...um....the fitness standards are lower than in the army and navy. an my experience does show that there are a lot of fat and lazy people in the air force.

there are no jobs in the air force where you can get in with the minimum score of 36 on the asvab. in the army and marines, there are several.

you can not argue the fact, if you gave any standard test (asvab, sat, act, mensa) that the air force will have a higher average score than the army and marines.

Hey.

My best friend shipped out to iraq about a month ago tmr. I've spoken with him two times since on aim. He's stationed at ft. striker.

From what I've heard it sucks. 120degrees outside in full combat gear in the shade. He is a 91 whiskey, also known as a combat medic. Unlike most combat medics, he literally is the operant of the saw on top of a striker unit. Says it completely sucks, as people literally are in the streets throwing grenades at each other for money. Not because they religiously believe anything, but because they are poor, have no running water, school education, or food to feed their huge families.

Now think about this, he has 13 months to go there, then a "soft" deployement and then is out. Maybe its because he doesn't fit in the system well but he is counting down the days until he is inactive. I believe he is an E5 though already, and is married, and gets combat/separation pay, so he brings in a hefty amount right now.

That's the only experience I have with the army at all.

Do not join the Army, Navy, or Marine Corps. There's nothing wrong with them but I think the reason your joining the Army is because you wanna be a "tough military guy", and for the sake of the rest of your life I suggest you get over it.

Wanna feel tough? Do some pushups, then flex in the mirror. Once you're over yourself call an AirForce recruiter, get into a career field you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life, get your training and do some college, then rotate back into the world.

I couldn't agree more. That's coming from someone who is in the Marine Corp. yes the training was a fucking blast, but once you are done, you are done. then you are working in a shitty job everyday and not getting much in return.

As of right now, I have 3 years in and 3 years left on my reserve contract and i fucking hate it. the bullshit you will deal with is unbelievable. a lot of the people, not all, but a lot of them are pieces of shit who knew they would make it nowhere in life so they joined the military so they could at least do something. if you have any kind of common sense or are somewhat "smart" then you will probably hate it. these losers that couldn't make it in the real world will be so fucking intimidated by someone with half a brain and will make you do shit jobs the whole time.

at my unit, our warehouse chief is some fucking 50 something y.o. staff sergeant that gives us college guys so much fucking shit because in his eyes, the military is the "real world" and college is for pussies.

I am just ranting now and not really going anywhere so i'll stop. basically i feel the same about the army, marine corps, and navy. if you feel you absolutely HAVE to join, go air force. i wish i would have listened to my family when they told me this 3 years ago.

Air Force eh.
I myself have the pleasure of being enlisted in the Air Force at the moment.
If you want any questions answered, go ahead and ask.

I am at a state of mind where I don't know what I want to do- either I will stay in or get out when I am 28.

Good luck in the decision making ^_________^

I was/am thinking about going into the military. With any luck I may have a job with the feds lined up and if I am lucky enough to get in on that I really wont need to enlist. But really just think very very hard about it. Only you know what you will like. You always have the power of no. If you walk into a recruiters office and ask him / her point blank questions and they jerk you around walk away. If you tell you how it really is with no bullshit and you like what you hear go for it.

I look at the military a little different then most though. I am not thinking about enlisting just for my self. I have quit a few friends that have been to Iraq / Afghanistan more then once at only the age of 21. One of my biggest reasons for thinking about going is so those guys do not have to go back because someone is there to take there place. Maybe to some that is a stupid reason for enlisting but it is one of my reasons.

Honestly you wont know if you love it or hate it until YOU are there. We all obviously share some sort of common interest here on Hondaswap. But we are not all exactly the same. Best of luck man, no matter what you decide. Just remember only you can make the choice and you always have that option to walk away just before you sign your name.

One of my biggest reasons for thinking about going is so those guys do not have to go back because someone is there to take there place.

ya know, thats a good thought, but thats not how it is. you wont be replacing anybody over there, you will just be one more person added to the forces that are currently there. one more target for iraqi and afghani's to shoot at.

I suppose that is true but still if that one new guy goes out on patrol instead of the guy thats been there twice already. Some times that makes a huge difference.

First...whats the particular reason for wanting to be an SP?

Second...if you can turn a wrench on a honda...then your almost qualified to turn a wrench on an F-15/16/22/52/130...anything that that flies. AF wrench turners have it better than the Army wrench turners...Army has mostly Blackhawks, and the Crew Chief always flies with the ship...AF...only on the big bombers and the re-fuelers that you fly with.

I did my time in the AF as an F-15 assistant crew chief on the squadron commanders bird...I would have stayed longer in the service...but I had two people fuck up my career...ex-wife and my boss. Anyways...I got out...and found out that I couldn't really work on anything that flies with-out almost a college degree...or it seams....

but now I'm a helicopter doctor, and making sweet money turning wrenches. As of this week...I've already made $68K's...next week I will hit the big $70K mark...and then I still got to sit back and think that I still have over 3 months to make it to 100+K's...I'm not doing to bad for myself, but I'm still struggling to get ahead of my bills.

Also...I thought the age cutoff limit was 26..?..

In retrospect...I'm 35, there is some kids that just got hired in the hanger next to mine, the prez's ship's...and they were in the Marines for a few years working on helicopters, got out, and snagged the elite job, and they start off making what I make...and when they clear the security clearance, they will end up making more than me..ohh well...not by much...just about a dollar or so. And I'm also in the position where I make as much as a person that has been in the company over 20 years..and I just got my raise this week, I'm no longer a service mech B...but a service mech A...a whole $1 more an hour... Next step up is a crew chief, and that may be soon. But as of last week...I was making $28.25 an hour....and I'm not getting shot at.;)

If you really want to help the troops...they need Blackhawks..and we build them here... the company is on a hiring rampage again. If you can read a blueprint, turn a wrench properly, understand how things go together and work together as systems...mechanical or electrically...then I would suggest applying online and see if they send you an email for an interview. Sikorsky - Home apply for all three links to the Aircraft Mechanic - C's, and if you can route wire in your car, then apply for all three Electrical Installer C's as well. Start pay will be about $22+ an hour, and you would be installing parts and stuff in the helicopters as they roll down the assembly line...don't worry if you think you might make a mistake...my job is to look at the installs, take them apart if necessary, and rebuild it. Also a lot of inspectors will find the problems before they even get out to me.

Airjockie brings up a pretty good point. There are plenty of jobs that we can do to help support our troops and it dosnt require getting shot at. But from the research I have done, while in the military you really do not make a ton of money so enlisting for up front cash is not the best idea. But it does get your foot in the door for other Federal jobs. More so if your MOS requires you to get some sort of clearance.

Back