Arospeed Intake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

Ive seen the Arospeed Front mount CAI that kinda looks like a intercooler

does anyone know if that would work???

it looks to me like you should make the most gains from that particular setup if you ask me since there is a huge filter as directly in the airflow as you can go. but at the same time i dont know if i can trust an Arospeed intake??

there was an old, old thread on here from someone who has one. or maybe it was on honda-tech.com. anyway, i was surprised. they said it did make noticeable power, and it was easy to clean and they really liked it. but when asked, they said they never had a cold air intake to compare it to. but that doesnt mean its not as effective.

:lol: i saw that one coming. what got me is that the person posting about it was not just a riceboy/ricegirl going for looks. it was an older, married guy. the car belonged to him and his wife.

umm... im single and 18. but definately not a riceboy

i figured it was shit, but just wanted to see if anone had one

Those shits are tight! R1 makes them also but i dont know if they are better than aerospeed. But anyways i am going to get one after christmas because christmas is draining my money. I have had a CAI before and i noticed a little difference. Hopefully the front mount intake will work good. It seems to me that it would help because all the air is comming right into the front. Thats where the intercooler sits for turbo to get the most air, why not the intake filter?

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Dec 4 2003, 04:51 PM
Thats where the intercooler sits for turbo to get the most air, why not the intake filter?

Uhhh, the intercooler doesn't "get air" for the turbo. The turbo compressors the air, which then passes through the intercooler to cool it. Hence, the name "intercooler".

Using one of those Arospeed POS's may drop your intake charge temperature a few degrees over a standard CAI, so if you're lucy, you'll be spending that extra cash for half a horsepower.

dont get that thing. heres what i did. i got a EJ so i cut holes in the passanger side "vent" out, so now its a functional vent. the holes go directly to the spot where a CAI would be put. I dont have a CAI but the wheel well forces the air up into the short intake i got. i was using a cold air intake and the filter sat right there where the vent was. It would work in the same way as that front mount fake intercooler thing but look a lot better then having taht crap there.

Originally posted by highperboi@Dec 4 2003, 11:45 PM
dont get that thing. heres what i did. i got a EJ so i cut holes in the passanger side "vent" out, so now its a functional vent. the holes go directly to the spot where a CAI would be put. I dont have a CAI but the wheel well forces the air up into the short intake i got. i was using a cold air intake and the filter sat right there where the vent was. It would work in the same way as that front mount fake intercooler thing but look a lot better then having taht crap there.

haha i did almost exaclty the same thing except i cut a hole in my resonator box and made a ghetto air scoop to feed the hole. only problem is my intake gets dirty real quick. have to clean it like every 2 weeks cause i drive 80 miles a day. i closed up the hole after a few months.

those front mount intakes are bad. they go in front of your radiator, sucking in air that is supposed to be flowing through the radiator.
you could very likely have overheating problems with a front mount.

Ok Ok Ok damnit! Now I have to admit that I have one! I bought one of the Arospeed front mounted cold air intakes about a year and a half ago. It fit on my 97 Civic without a problem. Of course I already had my bumper off and was replacing it with the black widow kit at the time. I could see how it would be a bitch to put on without removing your stock bumper though. Anyways, I only have a few complaints so far:

1.) The replacement filters from Arospeed are too costly! However, I rarely drive the car and think it's quite possible to swap them out with a filter from your local Advance or Pep Boys. I can't be for sure as I've not ever changed mine yet.

2.) There was no noticeable difference in power from this front mount as compared to a normal CAI.

3.) Since my 97 has the upwards facing throttle body (as compared to a side exit) the connection point between the tubing and the throttle body (connected with a blue rubber like connector) is not the best. The tubing sets too much to the side of the engine and puts alot of stress on the connector.

As far as the front mounted intake sitting in front of the radiator, that was not a problem. I can only vouch for my setup, but mine sits almost below the radiator with just an inch or more above. Not to mention that my 97 has somewhat of a "flat plate" in front of the radiator anyways. The front mounted intake doesn't go higher than the plate and I couldn't see how it would steal any air from my radiator. Besides, the Arospeed comes with a plexiglass plate on the front anyways. The plate makes the air circle around and almost come in the back of the intake. This plate can also be removed for full straight airflow from the front.
I'm not advocating buying one or telling you not to make the purchase, I'm just giving my .02 cents worth of info. If you have any further questions or concerns, fee free to contact me.

I will buy it, install it, and if it is not good, I will put just a Kragen or Auto Zone cone filter on the end of it instead of the intercooler filter thing. I seen a guy do that before and it was tight, i dont know if it worked better but i will try it. The front mount intake is cheaper than AEM CAI.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Dec 4 2003, 08:39 PM-->
Hatchbacks Anonymous
@Dec 4 2003, 04:51 PM
Thats where the intercooler sits for turbo to get the most air, why not the intake filter?

Uhhh, the intercooler doesn't "get air" for the turbo. The turbo compressors the air, which then passes through the intercooler to cool it. Hence, the name "intercooler".

:lol:
:owned:
people kill me

i have one on a 99 gsr, and yes i did have a CAI before (AEM CAI), and i felt a noticable diffrence, as for as the filter goes i found that the K&N cleaning kit works fine, and i have had no overheating problems as far as blocking the radiator air flow

Back