arp head studs for gsr block w/ b16 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vtecsir1

cypher and civicious stay the fuck out of this thread.

ripperbone please post when you have spoken to an arp rep about this and lets get the right information posted on the site since those 2 babies got the last thread locked.

Like I told Ripperbone before, if I were you (or him) I'd order the Headstuds for a B18C5. You figure that's exactly what your a building, a poor man's type r.

B16RacerN2NR said:
Like I told Ripperbone before, if I were you (or him) I'd order the Headstuds for a B18C5. You figure that's exactly what your a building, a poor man's type r.

well phou is doing the build actually.

thats a good point but i will still be interested to hear what arp tells him.

B18C5 head studs do make a whole lot of sense......way to keep a short story "short".... thanks guys!, that was a kind of answer i was looking for in my original thread.

vtecsir I am so doing a poormans type r build, and so is phou, and we both had the same question, so heres what I got from arp today. wehn i called them the tech guy said since they didnt have it listed I would have to give them measurements from the block and the head. I guess it is posted on their site, so I am lokking to find a good link. I wasnt happy with his answer so i called 2 different shops out here and was told that for the arp head studs i would need the gsr ones, I guess the gsr threads in the block are further down in the block than a b16 block or something like that

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.Images/2005ARPCatalog.pdf

to find out the measurements its on page 22.

and for gsrcrxsi the gsr and itr head studs are not the same, the itr are the same as the b16 according to ARP

interesting that the itr and gsr are different if its being based off of blocks and not heads. which goes back to what i was saying about going with the head studs for the head you use. well hopefully we get some answers for you 2 before you start your builds.

Last edited:
vtecsir1 said:
interesting that the itr and gsr are different if its being based off of blocks and not heads.
yea thats why I been trying to find out what ones to get.

seriously, you need the gsr studs. think about it. wil was right, the heads are the same height, and you have a gsr block. get the studs for the block.

in case you are wondering the difference, im 99% sure the gsr studs go deeper into the block, not the actual length, but the amounts they thread intot he block. so you could use the b16 ones if you want, but youre better off going with the gsr studs.

this isnt complicated people. gsr block, use gsr studs.

yea but its better to be safe than sorry, I already seized one block within 2 minutes of it being in my car, and picked up a gsr short block on last sunday, and i am not taking any chances this time so I am taking my block to the machine shop on monday to get it rebuilt. and i would like to have the right studs for my build. I never said wil was wrong, i just want to be 100% sure on it, since I have been hearing so many different things about it. but so far more poeple have said you match the studs to the block and not the head. but I am puzzled that the ITR studs are the same as the b16 and not the gsr

wil is right. im sure of it. think about it, use some common sense. you have a gsr block and a head thats the EXACT SAME HEIGHT.

use the gsr studs. youd be taking a chance using the b16 studs as you wouldnt be making full use of the threads available in the block.

I was under the impression that you would use the GSR studs as well. I myself am doing the same build but just for the sake of knowing & being absoluletly sure i'd like to know as well. Will be ordering them really soon too.

well if I had the tools to measure the block and the head, like the ARP tech guy said then i would, but I dont have the correct tools so I am going to just get the gsr ones since they are longer than the b16 and go from there.

no idea.

like i said, from what ive heard, the b16 studs are shorter on thread engagement, and if thats the case, you are better off with the gsr studs. IMO

well tomorrow i am taking my head off my b16 block and since I havent taken the gsr block to the machine shop, I am going to take a head bolt and try to measure the depth in the 2 blocks, I will take pictures of it also.

mike, i think the dilemma here is that the gsr and ITR apparently use diferent head studs, even though in my mind they should be exactly the same

Ya, I deleted my post. Weird because Acura Automotove parts lists the same part number for the head bolt on both the GS-R and Type-R.

B16 said:
Ya, I deleted my post. Weird because Acura Automotove parts lists the same part number for the head bolt on both the GS-R and Type-R.
and that should be reason enough to go with the gsr studs...

Back