ARP rod bolts & shot-peening

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Building a D-series bottom-end, nearing the end of engineering and was wondering, before i put everything back together if shotpeening the rods and using some high-strength conrod bolts will allow me to boost any higher, or would i just be wasting money?

the rod bolts might helps some, and shot peening might be a good idea if you are going all motor, as it does add some strength, but not enough when it comes to forced induction.

Rod bolts are pointless because the only time they're under stress is when the piston is slowing down at the top of the upstroke. Shot peening is good, but only if you grind off the stress risers on the side of the rods. The rods are shot peened to begin with, and if you grind the risers off, you have bare metal that needs to be peened to restore the surface tension of the metal. For about $100 more than what it'd cost to have the rods removed from the pistons, stress relieved, shot peened, and put back on the pistons, you could have a nice set of Eagle rods.

Back