ASE CERTS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidDreamz

Are all ase certs question based? Never took one yet. How hard are the tests, I work in a engine & tranny repair shop. Despite my hands on skills does any one know other ways to study for them? thanks

The test is pretty hard, and has a few different catagories. I've looked at it, and taken a sample version, you have to know what your doing to pass it.

I would definately suggest the referance books and study guides like someone stated previously. The test wasn't that hard to me, but I got to look at the study guides most all day while working at advance auto. Not to mention, they'll pay for your test and license (providing you pass)- well actually, they reimburse you for them. Anyways, you definatley need more than just hands on experience. I found the section on brakes and AC the most challenging. If you decide to take the test, good luck and best wishes on getting your ASE cert. :)

and even after you pass the test, you have to have like a year of work experience before you are officially certified... i forget the exact details though

Typical questions are formatted as such..

A vehicle with a V6 engine comes in to a shop with oil in the coolant. Tech A says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky head gasket. Tech B says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky intake manifold gasket. Tech C says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky intake manifold gasket or a leaky head gasket.

A) Tech A is right.
B) Tech B is right.
C) Tech C is right.
D) All of the above.

This was an actual question on the test I took. I'm going to leave it unanswered and see what you all have to say. I'll post the correct answer tomorrow night.

Wrong! Tech C is right! And coolant does go through the IM before it reaches the TB!

if you read the question slowly and really look at what is being asked.
it's saying there's oil in the coolant, not coolant in the oil
So rule out Tech A

and Tech B and Tech C answers are almost the same.

the vavle train is located under the intake manifold which
the intake manifold has coolant passages and there's a crap load of oil
in the valve train. So it's got to be a leaky intake manifold gasket.
with a little oil gettin by and into the coolant.

so the answer should be
Tech B is correct

ahh! i see now. duhh. but this question varies on cars.

im positive, on my mirage, the intake manifold doesnt have any coolant passages. just the throttlebody. ive had it off for porting.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 24 2003, 01:43 AM
Typical questions are formatted as such..

A vehicle with a V6 engine comes in to a shop with oil in the coolant. Tech A says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky head gasket. Tech B says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky intake manifold gasket. Tech C says that oil in the coolant indicates a leaky intake manifold gasket or a leaky head gasket.

A) Tech A is right.
B) Tech B is right.
C) Tech C is right.
D) All of the above.

This was an actual question on the test I took. I'm going to leave it unanswered and see what you all have to say. I'll post the correct answer tomorrow night.

I'm gonna have to say Tech C is right. Because V6s have different head gaskets per bank of three cylinders... and I don't see how oil could get in the coolant through the Intake manifold gasket. (but I'm a noob)

I dunno. I'm gonna say Tech C. :unsure:

I eventually wanna be a Mechanic too.

And the answer is... Tech A

A blown head gasket will allow oil from the oil return galleries into the water jacket around the cylinders.

If there was coolant in the oil, Tech B would be correct, because that would allow large ammounts of coolant into the cylinder, washing out the rings, and getting down into the pan.

If there was coolant in the oil AND oil in the coolant, tech C would be correct.

Want another one?

OK, here's another.

A customer complains that their turbodiesel truck with a mechanical fuel pump is producing excessive black smoke under normal accelleration, and especially when towing, and has lost power. Tech A says that the injectors are sticking open. Tech B says that the pump is faulty.

A) Tech A is right.
B) Tech B is right.
C) Both are right.
D) Neither are right.

im gonna take a stab at this one, we havent went over diesels yet, i am going to say B...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back