ASE question of the day.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to do this every day or every other day, or whenever I can remember... take it as my way of making you all smarter.

Here's the rules- I post the question, and you have about 24 hours to mull it over and answer before I come in and answer it with an explination, lock the post, unsticky it, and create a new question that is stickied.

Here's an easy one...

A customer complains that their manual transmission is hard to shift and grinds when going into reverse, even with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Tech A says the transmission fluid needs to be changed. Tech B says the synchros are bad.

A) Tech A is right.
B) Tech B is right.
C) Both are right.
D) Neither are right.

oh wow that was confusing, let me redo that, I agree with Bryan on this one eather A or D

perhaps the master cylinder has sprung a leak and no matter how far they push the pedal down the clutch doesn't fully disengage

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Nov 26 2003, 04:03 PM
perhaps the master cylinder has sprung a leak and no matter how far they push the pedal down the clutch doesn't fully disengage

:werd:

I say D.

The answer is D.

If the fluid was low, it'd only be hard to shift, but grabbing reverse would be just as easy because you're not moving at all when engaging reverse. If the synchros were bad, it still wouldn't grind in reverse.

The only way for a transmission to grind going into reverse AND be hard to shift is if the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Pills was close, but the question never stated if it was a cable or hydro tranny. So... we know that the clutch is dragging for sure; all the signs point to it. The next thing to check would be for excessive free play in the pedal and then adjusting it by either turning the adjustment nut on the cable, or by adjusting the pedal arm to clutch master cylinder rod. If this doesn't fix it, then the pressure plate is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back