Ask a conservative (god knows there are a lot of them on here)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sabz5150

FALCON PUNCH!!!
Fairly simple question (and I have my own answer to it, actually)... Why would your friends in Congress only allow an increase to the minimum wage if it also included another tax cut to the top 1%?

Well, one of the reasons I have figured out is the usual Con washing machine... spin spin spin. Y'see, if the Dems shoot down the bill due to the estate tax cut, the Pubs can basically run their 06 campaign on the notion that Democrats are against the common man because they voted against the increase to minimum wage. Very very slick, Karl must be on a big ol kick these days. This is the exact same way the "voted for it before he voted against it" chant that you guys all know and love came to be.

Before you say the word "compromise", think... how many tax cuts have there been that favor Daddy Warbucks? Now, how many increases to the minimum wage? If I miss my guess, the last increase to the minimum wage was back in 1997.

I just want to know why you can't cut the common man a break without any special conditions?

For those of you who need a link... CNN.com - Minimum wage increase passes House - Jul 28, 2006

everything in Washinton is a play to increase ones advantage. If you wanna know what capitol hill is like these days go read "Homeland" by RA Salvatore...

BTW Thunder Force>R-Type

Lmfao @ god knows there's a lot of conservatives on these boards.

Its like 4 v 30982508 conservatives:liberals

Though I agree with your general thinking about the situation, the last minimum wage increase was actually a few months ago, and I should know because its what I make(and unfortunately it results in me making less money). But as silverchild said, everything in Washington is a play to benefit ones self or group, whether democrat or republican or whatever else people wanna be.

Wow, never thot I would see politics on this board! There's a lot of power grabbing out there (both sides), a lot of money grabbing, and the good guys (from either side) are few.

You only have a few options: Sit back and whine; Jump in there and do what you can do; Jump in there and become part of the problem.

It's easy to be a critic ... what's your solution?

High_Rolling_Civic said:
Though I agree with your general thinking about the situation, the last minimum wage increase was actually a few months ago, and I should know because its what I make(and unfortunately it results in me making less money). But as silverchild said, everything in Washington is a play to benefit ones self or group, whether democrat or republican or whatever else people wanna be.

You have to look at your state's minimum wage law. I cant imagine how the minimum wage goes up (most likely your state's) and you make less money.

Silverchild79 said:
everything in Washinton is a play to increase ones advantage. If you wanna know what capitol hill is like these days go read "Homeland" by RA Salvatore...

BTW Thunder Force>R-Type

Fuck you, R-Type rules all! :lol: Of course Radiant Silvergun rules the roost from what I have heard.

TommyTheCat said:
You have to look at your state's minimum wage law. I cant imagine how the minimum wage goes up (most likely your state's) and you make less money.

I thought about it being state a little after i posted.

And the making less money has to deal with how tips are handled at my work. I bus and grill. When min wage was 5.15/hour I made an average of about $25 in tips from the waitstaff. Now that it is 6.15/hour, my boss decided that tips from waitstaff are also given to the people that grill and i only make about $8 in tips a night. so for 1 more an hour im losing about $17 in tips a night.

/rant about work.

I'm not a conservative, however; an increase in minimum wage + a tax break for the rich bastards= perfectly fine.

Who do you think pays this increase in minimum wage? The govt sure doesn't.. Its the business owners. So, giving a tax break to the business owners is to even out the minimum wage increase. That should be blindingly obvious.

phyregod said:
I'm not a conservative, however; an increase in minimum wage + a tax break for the rich bastards= perfectly fine.

Who do you think pays this increase in minimum wage? The govt sure doesn't.. Its the business owners. So, giving a tax break to the business owners is to even out the minimum wage increase. That should be blindingly obvious.

So, every other cut they have received just wasn't enough? Also my question was why was the only way that the Pubs would allow an increase in minimum wage was if it included their estate tax cut holy grail?

I don't think the estate tax (a tax on your right to transfer property at your death) is really going to offset an increase in minimum wage unless business owners start dropping like flies.

"After the net amount is computed, the value of lifetime taxable gifts (beginning with gifts made in 1977) is added to this number and the tax is computed. The tax is then reduced by the available unified credit. Presently, the amount of this credit reduces the computed tax so that only total taxable estates and lifetime gifts that exceed $1,000,000 will actually have to pay tax. In its current form, the estate tax only affects the wealthiest 2% of all Americans."

Do 2% of Americans own 100% of American businesses? I think not.

Now, couple a minimum wage increase with a tax cut on business specific items and you've got a level bill. Trading the ability for low to mid income families to actually live in this country (think housing, energy, gas and medical costs) for the ability for Preston Edwards III to inherit his daddy's billions with no strings, and on down the line is NOT an equal trade.

Now, to answer the Con question of why the rich bear the biggest taxes in this country. To quote Willie Sutton: "Because that's where the money is."

The more you charge the rich, just for being rich, the more you'll have to answer to them and regard their "needs". This means more Haliburtons.

In my state I happen to know the single largest tax payer. His name is Robert Scinto. And because he pays so much along the lines of taxes, he lots of powers in his pocket on Tap.

-> Steve

that post is what happens when Cel is on the phone with a client, and decides to post. More to follow later :)

Back