"Ask a Professional"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Editted for the new purpose:

Hondaswap contains EVERY piece of information for just about every Honda on the planet. Seriously, look around. Some of the regulars still come around though, and a lot of us own and work on different eras, makes and models of cars.

This thread was originally started to run some European car questions through to the pros, but I guess it was somewhat diverted into a sticky that is supposed to cover just about any "non Honda" tech question that we could help with.

There are a lot of members of Hondaswap that are good at what they do. If you feel you would like your name and specialty listed here - Message me or an op and they can alter this post to include you. Here, I'll start:

Celerity - 1965-most modern Toyotas. Rotaries. Classic MG, Jaguar, Ferrari, Rolls and Porsche. Mechanical Dynamics and chemistry. Automotive history.

Turbomirage - Lancers / Mirages

Civicious - Exotics, restoration and track-proving. Found at www.idbracing.com and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/idbracing

Fernpatch - Fine and Chassis Electrical

B - Gardening and cake baking.

And so on and so on.

Again, if you want to be added, or updated or clarified - Let me know via IM or talk to a mod who can alter this post.

Thanks !

Last edited:
When I was a Supra champ, I actually sat down and compared the Porsche 944 turbo to the Supra, and didn't like the Porsche too much.

What are parts and maintenance like on a second marque 944 Turbo these days ?

Request for mads : Change the title. Wil's request - "Ask a professional" question. This thread will cover topics on all non-honda cars as answered by professionals (Those who work on cars for a living).

Cal ? Can you do this ? Or lock my thread and start a new one ?

Ok, so now the question :

Is a 325 that much worse than a 300 ?

That's all the 330s go for? Shit, should I just flip the Hilux at the first chance for a profit and pick one up?

Can't tell if sarcasm or not... ^

Yup.. the Mountaineer Cars one - I talk to him everyday while I'm looking for financing. I mean jesus H - I can pay off the loan in 4 weeks. All these loan companies cut off at 2004.

But he's a reasonable guy. If you need to - call him. Fair is fair.

And no, 330s do NOT go for that much. That's why I'm so hot on getting that particular one.

But I found this : 2004 Used BMW 3 Series 325Ci 2dr Cpe at Fairfield Motorcars Serving Bridgeport, CT, IID 10073720 and I can't figure out if the 330 is so difficult to get, that the 325 would be so much worse that I would kick myself for not looking more.

I understand the HP and torque differences, the intake system differences, blah blah.... but is it about $2000 of an improvement ? Could I just turbo up on the 325 ?

Lemme get this straight... the 325 5th gear is direct drive, and the 2004 330 has a 6 speed. Is the 6th gear direct drive in the 330 ?

If it is, then the 6 gears doesn't appeal to me. But if there is some sort of overdrive, then I found something that would bother me that I didn't have.

Edit: What's it take to properly swap out the rear diff ?

Thought you just wanted to buy an E46 and drive it Cel? Now you're entertaining swapping stuff?

I'll carry on my findings in the "Help Cel" thread. But ultimately, I drove the standard rear today and it screams down the highway like an Integra. 70mph was 3400 rpm or something close to that. It was ok, but it was still wailing in my ear.

Quieter than an Integra, but still there grating on my nerves. After the stealership ordeal, I jumped in the Stang and cruised at 85 mph and 2500 rpm the whole way home. Outside of the windnoise (which is like a home movie on the beach in that car) it just lumbers along and feels nicely planted.

But yeah, update and test ride info in the other thread.

While I'm here though : On the cold start the engine was actually shaking for about 20 seconds. After that, just the -slightest- stumbling on acceleration. I could feel it in the throttle pedal (And I think these are wire driven) more than I could in my ass. Dealership just did full 120k service on it, new brakes and tires. After 20 seconds it was gone.

I'll carry on my findings in the "Help Cel" thread. But ultimately, I drove the standard rear today and it screams down the highway like an Integra. 70mph was 3400 rpm or something close to that. It was ok, but it was still wailing in my ear.

Quieter than an Integra, but still there grating on my nerves. After the stealership ordeal, I jumped in the Stang and cruised at 85 mph and 2500 rpm the whole way home. Outside of the windnoise (which is like a home movie on the beach in that car) it just lumbers along and feels nicely planted.

But yeah, update and test ride info in the other thread.

While I'm here though : On the cold start the engine was actually shaking for about 20 seconds. After that, just the -slightest- stumbling on acceleration. I could feel it in the throttle pedal (And I think these are wire driven) more than I could in my ass. Dealership just did full 120k service on it, new brakes and tires. After 20 seconds it was gone.

A 'full 120k service' is an oil change and air filters.

The plugs should have been changed back at 100k. They weren't. Change them. Bosch Platinum +4's. Cheap and easy.

Swapping the diff takes about 45 minutes on a lift with a transmission jack. No clue how long it'd take on your back in a driveway (Assuming you don't have access to a lift); can't imagine it'd be too terribly easy that way.

Following my new mantra of "The best thing you can do to a BMW is not fuck with it" I am tracking down BMW pros in my area. Which brings me to another "Ask a pro" topic.

I only ask this of you because you're many states away. When looking for a BMW mechanic, what should I ask ? How can I tell if they're worth a hill of beans ?

Back