asmallsol's Swap Pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
s3fd3d0f2e7f03.jpg

s3fd3d13bd94a4.jpg

s3fd3d17753035.jpg

s3fd3d18a09c58.jpg

s3fd3d17753035.jpg

s3fd3d1c45a563.jpg

This is a pic of the linkages STILL attached when pulling her. Makes it much easier. The bitch pin is no longer that big of a bitch when she is out.
s3fd3d1db3f7be.jpg

s3fd3d20646ce5.jpg

s3fd3d2eb00025.jpg

s3fd3d22f668b7.jpg

oooo so clean!
s3fd3d24311187.jpg

Yum. OEM GSR tie bar = stiffness with no clearance issues
s3fd3d14a7ef56.jpg

Great tool
s3fd3d28b77a25.jpg

Its Cuming I mean coming along
s3fd3d2c29c427.jpg

Getting there
s3fd3d2c29c427.jpg

What, no AC, No PS?
s3fd3d34a223a5.jpg

This is where I am at now.

Currently, I am 99% done. She fires up, but there are some issues. When removing one of the ball joints (the steering ball joint) I damaged a thread, and now I cant get the castle nut on. But who needs steering? Next problem, I cant get the stock cat off so I cant put the GSR cat on. When we started her for the first time, since we did not have an o2 sensor, it threw a CEL instantly. We got the old o2 sensor (still in the d series exhaust manifold) lengthen the wires, then pluged the o2 in, just to see if there were anymore CEL's. Well there wasn't, thank God. Another problem is the old bolts to the cat that went to the stock GSR intake manifold rusted to the downpipe (if you want to call it that) then when removing the cat (for those of you who dont know, I pulled this swap out of a wrecked GSR) the bolts snapped, and now are stuck. So we cant put the cat on even if we got the sol one out. Other then that, I am good. It was loud as hell when I started her but who cares. No cat, b pipe, and exhaust pipe will do that to you.

Hopefully I can just replace the ball joint, fixs the cat, and then get her back on the road.

Edit. Here is some helpful hints with the wiring. Everywhere they say green knock sensor, blah blah blah. I had no Idea for location. So I finally found everything. The evaps ones are easy. The GSR harness has 4 connectors on the Passenger side harness, the sol has 3. The missing plug is 2 wires (since I had the GSR, I just cut that, and made it look semi right, since I had plugs for both sides) The other 2 wires (if you dont have to wire up VTEC like me) are the knock sensor, and the IAB's. The IAB is a pink wire on the driverside connectors. there are 3 connectors, one is for a resistor box, and should just have a cap on it (plug that goes nowhere) then two others. Find the one that is pink, cut it, then run it to the ECU. Last wire is the knock sensor. That is on the passenger side connectors. This one was harder to find, and we had no Idea where to look. Finally we found that the one of the plugs on the passenger side engine harness had an extra wire. Found the wire and ran it. That is about it. Hoped that helped

See if you can get a die with the right thread pitch and size and repair the damaged threads on the tie rod end ( steering balljoint ). As for the cat, torch the old bolts off. :D

yup catalytic converts are a bitch to get out right, look good though, I drove my car like 3 times open header 1:30 in the morning...neighbors got REAL mad. I took the 'ol d15 out wit the linkage on too. I finally got my new cat on though and fucked up one of the lower ball joints...wish i had a press or a ball joint seperator thing maybe even an air hammer.

Anyway you were lucky enough to have only one CEL, i still cant find the plug on the 92 civic (*hint hint*) or I would see what mine is throwin.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Dec 7 2003, 09:56 PM
:thumbsup: sweet deal man! looks good. how long did it take to do?

Well here is the summery of everything.

Past week or so, I had been pulling stuff from the GSR, putting the new Clutch and FW on, not really working that much.

Friday, I worked my ass off, and started at 3 pm, worked almost non stop (maybe an hour break but...) and pulled the entire old engine sjngle handedly. It helped so much having the experience from pulling the GSR engine, and having the right tools. Time of death for the d16z6 was 12:32 am.

Saturday, had a bunch of people over to help. We got the GSR engine almost completely in. All we had to do was wiring, radiator, and....there is something else but I cant remember.

Sunday, I had the person who sold me the GSR come over, plus 2 others. Josh, the person who sold me the teg, was kinda shocked how stripped i got the GSR. He is great at wiring and he helped me with that. Finally got it running at about 8 oclock today.

Probally 3 eight hour days all in all. Not that bad.

whoa replace that rusted exhaust manifold please and the motor could use alittle cleaning. Otherwise looks good.

what year motor is it? I think 94-97 have the oval combustion chambers.

oh yeah and if you take out the secondary butterfiles in the intake manifold it will flow a little better.

no need for exhaust....headers are fine lol.....but serious cool man!!! good job y0

I definently like the intake man, looks real sofistamacated! Anyways, congats on the swap, glad that someone's sol had a easy time at it.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Dec 7 2003, 10:12 PM
whoa replace that rusted exhaust manifold please and the motor could use alittle cleaning. Otherwise looks good.

Dude, Rust = power. Rusty V-tacky = mega uber power.

Actually the engine is really clean. The valve cover is just kinda old so paint is starting to look pretty bad. I am probally going to strip it, have some of the people that helped me pull it sign it, then clear coat it.

It is a 95 GSR engine

Intake is fine for now. Filter will be changed (I have a K&N, but ghettoness works for me. It is wraped in insulation so it keeps heat out. Ugly but it works.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 8 2003, 06:21 AM
and rust = JDM weight reduction y0!

lookin good

Hahaha :lol:

Looks good man!!! Glad it was a "painless" as it seems.

Back