Asus G73 Lockup Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

good thing most people dont keep computers past their shelf lives anymore.

note to self, from what i understand, the 7200rpm drives spin 33% faster, and also die 33% faster
may just be a myth, but keep that in mind
Thanks for the heads up, I went with a 5400 rpm drive anyway because eventually this will just be a data drive. I plan on a SSD in the near future
good thing most people dont keep computers past their shelf lives anymore.
Ill be keeping this comp for quite some time. Its been perfect for my needs so far.

thats an i7 right?

thats what i said about my pumped to the hilt core2duo, which i got right before the iCores hit the shelf. ended up moving to an i7 a yera later.

thats an i7 right?

thats what i said about my pumped to the hilt core2duo, which i got right before the iCores hit the shelf. ended up moving to an i7 a yera later.
yeah, its an i7 720qm. i dont think i will do anything that will ever use the capacity of the processor. the GPU is plenty for the games I play. but i suppose you are right, ill be eating those words in about a year.
power related problem for 500 bob!
lolwut-3017_preview.jpg

mines an i7 m260 2.67ghz. surprisingly it doesnt get hot. fan sounds like a mac truck when i play starcraft 2 though!

lol really? the fan on my g73 is fairly quiet, definitely a lot less noisy than my parents' desktop.

the GPU in mine has its own small fan. its a 1GB video.

as is mine, its the ati 5870m
i think it has its own fan, but who knows? :shrug2:

i have another question
since my HDD shit the bed and my computer did NOT come with a windows recovery disc, am I going to have to buy a new install of windows 7?

seems like itd be bullshit if i had to.
side note: i dont have any recovery discs made :/

You should be able to use any windows 7 disc as long as it's the correct version for your product key.

edit: meaning you should be able to try to find one to borrow, if that's possible. I might be able to mail you a disc, possibly.

ahh, ok. i tried a friend's vista > win7 upgrade disc and it wouldnt accept my product key. now i see why.

thatd be awesome if you could mail me a disc.
ill do some asking around.

...well i guess i spoke too soon.

the computer started up fine after the install, but now its back to the same shit. froze twice loading windows
then went to the same screen again, "select proper boot device, or insert boot media"
the hard drive is showing in the bios. the install is a fresh, OEM install.

ideas?

could be your drive is dead (you replaced it?), bad cables, or could be a bad chipset/motherboard.

if you didnt replace your drive, it could be your mbr is messed up.

If it's a new drive, you probably have other problems as well.

If it's the same drive, it could be failing, bad master boot record, or a few other things.

Failing hard drive controller would also cause bad sectors and all sorts of problems.

Last edited:
could be your drive is dead (you replaced it?), bad cables, or could be a bad chipset/motherboard.

if you didnt replace your drive, it could be your mbr is messed up.
its a brand new hard drive. its weird, after the hard drive install the computer will sometimes start, but will then freeze and revert back to the screen saying select proper boot device or insert boot media
with the old hard drive it wouldnt do anything at all. the fact that the hard drive is now detected makes me scratch my head. the old drive wasnt being detected at all.
If it's a new drive, you probably have other problems as well.

If it's the same drive, it could be failing, bad master boot record, or a few other things.

Failing hard drive controller would also cause bad sectors and all sorts of problems.

its a new drive. im not really too sure what to do :shrug2:

damn you both
lol

i am stumped, and im sure replacing the hard drive has voided my warranty with asus.

Back