Asus G73 Lockup Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seriously, update the bios before doing anything else

I'm working on that right now. I've been doing some searching around and theres quite a few people that have bricked their g73jh while updating the bios. They were talking about using a USB drive formatted for FAT 32 (whatever that is?) with the update on it.

thats the best way to update a BIOS, under DOS. Get a USB stick, and format it to FAT32 (a type of file system that almost any OS can read) and then make it bootable. also, FORMATTING WILL "ERASE" EVERYTHING ON THE STICK.

Files and instructions here:
Bios-boot-usb-stick - Howto: BIOS-Update per bootable USB-Stick - www.biosflash.com

Go to ASUS and download the BIOS file. In the BIOS file page there should be a file called AWDFLASH, AFUDOS, or something along those lines to update the BIOS. Download that and place both the BIOS file and program onto the UBS stick (dont create any folders or anything, just put both files onto the stick).

Now here is the tricky part. Plug the stick into a USB port and restart the computer. When its restarting, you can do 1 of 3 three things and I will list the easiest first:

1) Tap delete or F2 or whatever it is to get into SETUPS or BIOS. Under BIOS there might be a section where ASUS already has a built in program to help you update it. If there is, follow the instructions.

2) When the computer is booting, you can tap a button to get into booting sequence, order, or whatever they call it. Then choose USB from there. Continue to 4)

3) Tap delete or whatever to get into the BIOS and manual select the booting order and make the USB stick first. Itll probably be under hard drive section if you cant find it. Continue to 4)

4) After booting the UBS stick first, you'll be in a DOS screen. Depending on which program you use, itll be a little different. Ive used AWDFLASH the most, so i just typed it 'run AWDFLASH.EXE' and a GUI popped up and i just followed the instructions. you dont need to save a copy of the BIOS unless you want to.

heres up if you use AFUDOS:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/flashutl/DOS Flash Utility User Guide.pdf

Good luck with flashing. Oh yeah, DOS is better because its least likely you'll crash, hang, software conflict or something in the middle of flashing which will brick the motherboard. Make sure when you're flashing, it wont be interrupted or lose power.

About UBCD, if you have windows running, you can forgo the CD.

In that case, just download HWMonitor to watch your temps, Prime95 to stress your CPU and RAM (run blend mode) and to Furmark or loop 3DMark to stress your GPU.

You can still use the UBCD to run memtest to stress the RAM only if you like.

All of those programs should pass at least 1 hr or more. Some people test for 12hrs but thats a little excessive unless your overclocking and want 100% stability. But since you're stock, 1 hr is sufficient.

I just finished updating the BIOS from 205 to 213 per the instructions you posted, endlesszeal. It booted right up after shut down, so things are looking promising. I'm going to try shut down and restart a couple times just to verify that it isnt a fluke.

Ian, I suppose you can say "i told you so" lol

edit: three shut downs, and two restarts thus far. no issues whatsoever :)

Last edited:
good stuff. hope it works out for you. i still suggest throwing prime95 on it at least and see if its stable. run it for an hour with adequate ventilation (on a smooth flat surface).

random lockups like that (in my experience) are usually always chipset/bios related when all other hardware passes testing. there arent really any tools to test something like a motherboard chipset unfortunately.

I'll run prime95 as suggested. Things are still working well.

Thanks to you two for the advice and guidance. I appreciate it. You both have been repped.

Back