at&t follows verizon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
looks like at&t are following suit with their plans.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/18/tech/mobile/att-shared-data/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

and it's also rediculous.

I just heard of a new place called Ting which also runs on sprint. they have the galaxy SII devices there too. They sell you and charge you absed on what you use. Basically, you esitmate what you use, and pay that, and either get a credit or a charge for overage or underage based on what you actually used. I think it's pretty neat.

The data can add up there though, so i don't tihnk i'll be going to them. I'll take my speed cut (which i haven't even noticed) after 2gb and continue to use my virgin evo V for $35 :)

my verizon phone is one that i wouldnt mind having for a while.. it has insurance to where i can replace it up to twice a year.. i dont plan on upgrading when the time comes.. i'll just run w/ it and let my current plan stick for as long as possible

They unofficially leaked this before Verizon officially launched their plan, so this isn't new knowledge but obviously they're formalizing the plan. Just don't know how this doesn't fall under anti-collusion/price fixing laws.

i have the old iphone ATT unlimited plan still. got it originally when i bought my 3GS iphone. when the iphone 4 came out, ATT switched to limited plans (max 2GB i think), but im grandfathered in and wont lose my unlimited plan as long as i keep upgrading and extending my contract. when i bought my iphone 4S i was able to keep my same unlimited plan.

i pay 82/mo, not changing anytime soon i dont think.

i have the old iphone ATT unlimited plan still. got it originally when i bought my 3GS iphone. when the iphone 4 came out, ATT switched to limited plans (max 2GB i think), but im grandfathered in and wont lose my unlimited plan as long as i keep upgrading and extending my contract. when i bought my iphone 4S i was able to keep my same unlimited plan.

i pay 82/mo, not changing anytime soon i dont think.

But if you use more than 3gb, you get speed capped.

I'm grandfathered into Verizon unlimited Data...i use my HTC ReZound to tether 4g on my galaxy tab, i used 3.6 gigs already with 19 days left on my current billing cycle. I havent noticed any speed cap. I just downloaded a 566MB custom ROM on my rezound via 4g and it didn't take long at all.

Okay, to clear up the misconceptions...

1) If you're on Verizon, you're "grandfathered" into Unlimited data, but there's an asterisk. The asterisk, currently, is that if you upgrade your phone - you MUST UPGRADE AT FULL PRICE TO MAINTAIN UNLIMITED DATA. I.e., you're buying your iphone at $700 instead of the carrier subsidized $200 to maintain the data plan. That's effective as of 7/1

2) If you're on AT&T and you're "grandfathered" (like myself), you'll get speed capped over 3gb data and don't be surprised when/if AT&T takes a similar stance that to maintain the unlimited data, you need to sacrifice the carrier discount when purchasing a new phone.

Basically, the idea is that since you currently have a contract in place, if you don't modify that contract - you can continue to maintain the contract. Sort of like, completing your annual renter's agreement and now moving to monthly terms. There's terminology built into the contracts, though, that if the carrier wants to make a change, they have to give you 30 day notice and the ability to opt out (like when your credit card changes its contract to modify the interest rate, outside of a rate that wasn't outlined in the existing terms).

Its a brave new world.

Another point, once the standard becomes 4G, if you have that 3G unlimited data plan - you're likely going to want to upgrade to the shiny new 4G device. That's when you're signing a new contract and giving up your unlimited data.

AT&T and Verizon may never truly cancel the unlimited plans, but they're going to force the customer's hand, so that they voluntarily give up the contract. Since that's a very sensitive subject, they're using this as a positive spin for the consumer - since you can still get the latest and greatest at a subsidized cost ... you just will wind up sacrificing your unlimited data/if you're a heavy user, you'll also give the money back in data overage fees. For non "power users" - everyone else - they'll give the carrier's the money back by spending the extra ~$10 per month to go from the 3G data plan to the 4G data plan.

They've already sent notices that they're rebanding the 2G spectrum for non smart phone users - in hopes of at least moving those people to smart phones.

Back