1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Super Damper

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Marsh, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Marsh

Marsh Member

So i'm thinking about purchasing the, ATI Performance Products Harmonic Balancer 918476. Part# ATI-918476

At $350.00 is this piece going to benefit me?
    Could it actually throw the Balance off?
    Do I need to have the motor built with this piece in mind or can I just throw it on go?
    Is it worth the price?

People who know the answers to these types of questions please chime in. Before I throw another $400 in the hole....Thanks!

2. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Harmonica damper for a Civic I assume? Skip it, I've never used it personally. But I have never heard anything good about them. Everything I've read showed that it was actually detrimental to the longevitiy of the motor.

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

What are you building the engine for? Street application- don't worry about it. If your race rules require it, then go for it.

Chaz, some race sanctioning bodies require a beefy harmonic damper like this.

4. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Really? I never knew that. Just for curiousities sake, why is it required for some race sanctioning bodies?

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Higher RPMs, durability, greater stress- just like how you need to have scatter shields around your clutch assembly or driveshaft loops when you get into the faster classes.

6. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

long-stroke engines benefit greatly from harmonic dampers; especially engines with the oil pumps driven directly by the crankshaft.

It should not affect the balance; and you should be able to just throw it on(assuming the rotating assembly has already been balanced also). You will not see any performance gains but it will help increase the reliability of the engine.

7. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Some oem crank pulleys are NOT balanced, such as the CTR N1. That is where these come in to play.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted