atkins sucks.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

10lbs of muscle in a month is completely unrealistic except for someone who is on their absolute first month or 2 of training, or unless you have near perfect genetics.

it took me about 2.5 years to gain 30lbs of muscle. 139lbs when I left for college, 169 lbs now. Going to the gym 4-5 days a week. And that is with an aggresive, balanced diet, no juice and no body fat. I can say that for sure because I've barely ever had any body fat, and still don't.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Nov 17 2004, 02:11 PM-->
ScrapinSi
@Nov 16 2004, 10:39 PM
personal preference really... Low Carb works for me... I'm down almost 30lbs. I also go to the gym. I also have a history of Diabetes in my family, so cutting down on the sugar intake helps me also.

I have a gut i'm trying to get rid of... not to mention a screwed up back i'm trying to repair... And what am I doing? Lots of cardio, treadmill, cross trainer, etc... And the ultimate ab/back builder... Crunches... But not "trendy" crunches... Do them on the exercise ball... Try doing 10 your first time... i'll bet you can't... :)
[post=418036]Quoted post[/post]​

Bleh @ crunches on those bounco fitness balls. Using a medicine ball or 'power/strength bands' (the little rubber bands that women usually use for aerobics classes) on a decline board thats set at the highest level, works them the hardest plus its easy going from a sit up to an oblique crunch.

My ab routine goes like this if anyone is interested;

Leg ups (not just knee ups, you raise the entire leg perpendicular to the body...don't swing while you do these)

Medicine ball/power band sit ups on a decline board

Oblique crunches on a decline board

You could also use a weighted ab machine in the gym, keeping your hands behind your head not on the stupid handles infront of you that allow you to cheat.

There's loads of shit you can do for abs, both body weight and weighted.

This is a body weight ab routine that is half decent that a lot of people do.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
[post=418287]Quoted post[/post]​

Some of those exercises are VERY bad for your back though... It overworks your back, and causes the muscles to be unevenly built. Great if you want a 6 pack now, and be a hunchback later in life.

Some of those exercises are VERY bad for your back though... It overworks your back, and causes the muscles to be unevenly built. Great if you want a 6 pack now, and be a hunchback later in life.
[post=418808]Quoted post[/post]​

Some chiropractors argue that. I argue that they're fucking quacks that couldnt cut it for a medical degree. The army still has its soldiers doing crunches, you think they would have them doing something that was detrimental to their back especially when a soldier's back gets a lot of stress already from carry his pack? I think not. If performed properly and in controled motion there is no problem whatsoever.

thats like saying that squating will cause your knees to be fucked up. just a blanketed statement

All i have to say about putting on that much muscle mass in that short of time

1) Juice

2) Genetically Inclined

3)Combination of both

Thats really the only way. My friend has a sick diet and has been on a really good routine with myself for quite awhile. After a year and a half he's pretty much magazine body and only up like 10-20lbs worth of muscle...this is after taking a shitload of supplements, eating 8eggs a day, chicken breastS, canS of tuna, pizza, steak, etc. Thats all in one day too basically. People ask me if he's roiding because even that muscle mass that he put on is absolutely ridiculous given normal results. He's obviously genetically inclined as well because I'm on the same routine and didnt get those gains.

"I don't know, but I'm not lying. Like I said, I went from 240-ish to 276lbs. and I had my body fat taken before I started and shortly before I stopped, it was up about 3%. For that amount of gain, 3% isn't a significant amout of fat. Was it a fluke"

Unless you were submerged in water than the bodyfat reading was probably off. Calipers work for shit. It came out that I had a way lower percent fat than I actually did, and they're really not very accurate.

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 20 2004, 04:43 PM
It was the same caliper for both tests.

Personally, I don't care if you believe it or not. I know it happened, my girlfriend knows it happened, my parents know it happened, and every friend I had at that time knows it happened. I either have better muscular genetics that you and everyone you know or I just know what I'm doing. Either way, you're not going to convince me that something I lived through didn't happen.
[post=419726]Quoted post[/post]​

Whatever you want to believe. Go read up. People on juice dont even see those good of results. :)

Maybe you were 15 and going through puberty? Or even a later bloomer at 18? Who knows.

I do know that one routine and even great diet will not give those good of results compared to another routine...I've been in the game for quite awhile.

And regardless if the same caliper test was used on you both times...calipers ARE inaccurate. When i was doing long distance running my body fat was low, but they read me at about 2%....I was more like 6-8% to say the least. Other times they read me higher. Being submerged or having a top of the line electromagnetic test is the only way to go for accurate results. I do believe you saw gains and probably put on a lot of weight...I'm just saying unless you were going through puberty or juciing than theres no possible way to have gotten those gains.

"That means that it was off by the same amount both time"

Stop right there if you don't know what you're talking about. Calipers can give different incorrect readings. If something is off, its not going to be off by the same exact amount everytime, or else there would just be a magic number to add to it to get the correct value.

The problem is, the calculation varies. As I stated, results vary greatly. I had a reading of 2% once and a reading of 8% once, both within the same timeframe.

I dont give a fuck what you say you live through or what child you think you're talking to, you're talking to someone who is very well versed in this field. Talking to someone with much personal experience and also knowledge from courses.

Read up and tell me if you see any bodybuilers who are massively roiding putting on 30lbs of LBM (lean body mass) within a timeframe like that, even 10lbs of pure muscle. Those guys are genetically gifted AND on the juice and dont see that kind of LBM gain. in the off season bodybuilders may gain a shitload fast but their bodyfat dramatically increases, thats just the facts of life.

As i said, if you had those results there extenuating circumstances that I pointed about above. Beginner, genetically gifted, miscalculation, puberty etc. Most likely a combination of those four.

If you said you got those results in 6months to a year and were a beginner to weight lifting thats believeable. But to do it in the timeframe you did, there was a miscalculation somewhere because its just impossible.

"I'll let you in on a little secret...proper diet and proper training"

And I'll let you in on a secret, the NATURAL guys do not gain that kind of mass in that kind of time and they do have a proper diet and proper training.

The only guys who gain that kind of mass are guys like Ronnie Coleman who are roided to hell.

Yes I know a significant amount about nutrition, yes I know about diet, yes I know about average results.

You shot yourself in the foot further when you said that you had been training for years, people who have been training for years don't see rapid growth if they've been training. Beginners see that rapid growth, not long term trainnees. Thats why guys in the gym will be big after working out for a long time and then it will be incredibley hard for them to gain another 5lbs. Your muscles become accustomed to things, your body starts to max itself out. Even if you vary your program and 'shock' your muscles into growth I dont see those gains coming any other way than what I previously stated.

Now you can hop down from your high horse and either recognize its because you were a 1) Beginner (or a long time trainnee that apparently hadnt trained properly before) 2)A late bloomer and even at 21 you were still seeing some of the effects of puberty or 3)The calculations could have been off.

Either that or you're a bodybuilder...an above average one. Congrats

ok when i put on 30 lbs it was a low amount of muscle and a high amount of fat i trained for biathalon within the forces and every summer i had to put on 30 lbs cause i lose that in one season with all the training i undertake. I have left competiotion and now weigh a low of 169 at 5'8 and rughly 8-9% body fat (submersion test) i have seen gains of 8-9 lbs a mounth of soild muscle by fellow participants and loses in the same reange.
Every person is diffrent

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Nov 20 2004, 07:07 PM
ok when i put on 30 lbs it was a low amount of muscle and a high amount of fat i trained for biathalon within the forces and every summer i had to put on 30 lbs cause i lose that in one season with all the training i undertake. I have left competiotion and now weigh a low of 169 at 5'8 and rughly 8-9% body fat (submersion test) i have seen gains of 8-9 lbs a mounth of soild muscle by fellow participants and loses in the same reange.
Every person is diffrent
[post=419825]Quoted post[/post]​

Its possible to gain that in one month, but consistently for 3 months?

*edit and its not that its not feasible to put on that much muscle mass, but just to keep it at that low of fat and get those results if you're an experienced trainer just isn't feasible.

Thats why I suggested the things I did.

Ok, Kind of funny blanco, but that isn't the case for me at all.

Been lifting hardcore for about the last 2 years. Over the course of these lifting sessions, I lost 50 lbs, but got to an all tiem low for myself of 10%BF.

I plateaued at weight loss at about 155. In the last 2.5 months doing what I call a clean bulk, more calories then I burn, just clean stuff like protein, oats, etc. , I've only gained 6 lbs.

My maxes went up, and I actually have had meausrable gains in size. But still, gaining weight sucks for me and I tend to be fat if I don't put in my workouts. I don't look my weigh at all though, being on a 6' foot frame.

So, I'll go with new2thecarscene, you probably are one of the lucky ones with good genetics for building muscles.

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 23 2004, 05:45 AM
Lmao. I actually bothered to read this again and it's actually making me laugh right now. I just love it when people tell me I didn't live through what I did. Oh, I also maxed out my collegiate level Phys. Ed. classes before I graduated from high school. Guess I really don't know shit. Keep grasping at those straws. :bo:
[post=420951]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes and it shows exactly how much you know by maxing out your collegiate level Phys Ed. classes because even a physical trainer cert. is a fucking joke to get.

As i said, there had to be extinuating circumstances to the situation. Didn't mean it wasn't possible if those circumstances were to occur, you were just up on your high horse and didnt even bother thinking about them. Shit they probably occured without you even knowing.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene+Nov 23 2004, 10:38 AM-->
@Nov 23 2004, 05:45 AM
Lmao.  I actually bothered to read this again and it's actually making me laugh right now.  I just love it when people tell me I didn't live through what I did.  Oh, I also maxed out my collegiate level Phys. Ed. classes before I graduated from high school.  Guess I really don't know shit.  Keep grasping at those straws. :bo:
[post=420951]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes and it shows exactly how much you know by maxing out your collegiate level Phys Ed. classes because even a physical trainer cert. is a fucking joke to get.

As i said, there had to be extinuating circumstances to the situation. Didn't mean it wasn't possible if those circumstances were to occur, you were just up on your high horse and didnt even bother thinking about them. Shit they probably occured without you even knowing.
[post=421042]Quoted post[/post]​

Shit, the way you talk, one could almost think that "the car scene" is about the only thing you're "new 2" <_<

Shit, the way you talk, one could almost think that "the car scene" is about the only thing you're "new 2" <_<
[post=421050]Quoted post[/post]​

Obviously that was a slam on me, but in all honesty I still have much to learn about the mechanics of cars but I generally know a good deal about all different kinds of stupid shit.

Particularly I'm into health and fitness, business, and history so those are three key issues on here that I challenge.

When you study all the science behind this kind of thing and then you don't just preach from a textbook, you hit the gym for a couple hours a day, you get a good idea of what works and doesn't.

All I'm saying is hell, he could have been a late bloomer or had some other extinuating circumstance that he didn't know about or think of that allowed him to see those gains. I said how it could be possible and listed a couple ways, but he turned his nose at those and rather just argue that I think it didn't happen.

I believe it happened, I'm just saying that an experienced trainnee doesnt naturally put on that kind of mass even on a real good diet, consistently like that. Even if one were to put on that much mass in a month, the chances of doing it a second and then third month in a row are drastically reduced. Your body starts to get accustomed to the stimulus and starts to stagnate. Even if you vary your routine, to get from these plateaus usually takes months or years. Now if you're a new trainnee or the equivalent of that because you havent been eating or training correctly, you can see gains extremely quickly. Your bench, squat, deadlift, whatever can jump a whole lot of weight within the first couple weeks. After 3 months of lifting or so, even if you're new the drastic changes drop off greatly.

So to summarize that, all I'm saying is that if he was new to the game or hadn't been eating or training right then to see awesome gains would not be unheard of but for an experienced trainnee to do that....not even bodybuilders are able to do that. Thats all. Didnt say it didn't happen, said there must've been circumstances behind it.

Not a slam. Just a masked reminder that sounding like a belligerent, know-it-all windbag doesn't generally cause a lot of people to see your point.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 23 2004, 01:23 PM
Not a slam. Just a masked reminder that sounding like a belligerent, know-it-all windbag doesn't generally cause a lot of people to see your point.
[post=421067]Quoted post[/post]​

Right. Anyone that doesn't argee with the little clique on here is viewed as a fool. I really don't care about credibility online. I have enough credibility offline. When I'm bored I'll post my opinion and thats just how I operate online.

I'm not talking about "fitting in with a clique". I'm talking about being downright offensive. If this is all you come online for, I recommend logging off for good. If all you come here for is to profess your opinion as offensively and with as much bigotry as possible, then I'm sure that all of us would be happier to not have you around.

But then again, what am I saying. Maybe I'm just bashing you for not being a sheep. <_<

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 23 2004, 01:45 PM
I'm not talking about "fitting in with a clique". I'm talking about being downright offensive. If this is all you come online for, I recommend logging off for good. If all you come here for is to profess your opinion as offensively and with as much bigotry as possible, then I'm sure that all of us would be happier to not have you around.

But then again, what am I saying. Maybe I'm just bashing you for not being a sheep. <_<
[post=421081]Quoted post[/post]​

Offensive because I'll argue my opinion because I don't side with some of the blanketed opinions on here? Its funny that I butt heads with Blanco because he's the first person on here that will preach to educate yourself and come at things from all angles, and thats what I base my arguments upon. If I wanted to make both sides of the argument I could, I tend to make the side of the argument that no one sees or wants to see in an attempt to open peoples eyes.

In person if you asked anyone I knew, they'd tell you that I try to look at things ominscienctly and understand where everyone is coming from. With that said, even if I can see where someone is coming from it DOES NOT mean that I should or have to side with that.

Back