Attaching A Surf Board To A Del Sol Roof

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lark1000

I was wondering if anyone has done this or any ideas...I bought the removable padded board "rack" (if you surf, Im sure you know what Im talking about) but I was wondering if anyone has tried using this on a Del Sol. Im just concerned because of the small roof not to mention the board is 7 feet long. I have done it before with it sticking out the back window which is ok but I really dont like doing that and would like to attach it to the roof. Has anyone tried this or have any ideas?

yeah, Kinda thought about that AFTER I bought the sol, I'll just keep on using my friends suv's.

to have a perminate rack made for it would probably keep me from being able to store the roof in the trunk. And my friend who would usually drive and let me put my board on top just sold his car and bought a convertable!!! Im so screwed!

I know someone whose friend just took and rolled down the back window and shoved it into the cabin. SUPPOSEDLY that worked, probably better if you had a short board and the stock spoiler... But you might try that.

the spoiler thing isnt a bad idea, dont have one yet but want to get one put on.

Where do you go to get a custom rack made?

do what i do when i go surfing....
stick one end of the board on the floor and the other out the window.
then take side streets to avoid the po-po's ticketing you for having a board
sticking out 398573498753489 feet.

Originally posted by lark1000@Mar 8 2003, 12:34 AM
thats what I would do but I cant if I have a passanger or if its raining :)

raining? I have driven in the rain a few times with the top off, you just cant stop. Only thing the rain sounds kind mean on the roll bar thing, almost like little shocks.

i went to the local surf shop to talk about getting some for the civic, my mom got a different kind then i told her to, but oh well i am going to test them out in the morning on the civic, they work fine on the truck, which i use all the rest of the time to take the surfboards to the surf. usually surf shops, the good ones with the dude that lives for the surf, and not the small chain shops, ask him, he knows his gear and wont sale u anything if it wont work and if he cant help you he may be able to point you in the right direction

ps smart car to have for trying to go surfing, duck tape the thing to the roof
Dakine surf racks are the best in my opinion and fcs are alright

do u think the surfboard on the roof will ceart any downforce??

Are you saying that you have the padded ones that attach to the roof and strap that run into the cabin where they tighten? Did you have that on the truck? The roof on a pickup isnt much bigger or smaller than on a del sol. And you said it worked ok? Im just afraid that being ther roof is so small that when I drive the board will either catch to much wind undneith and flip up in the air and break or even force down and break

Here..this is the answer to all your problems...Stop longboarding..buy yourself a nice 6'0" like mine...preferrably a C5 (Rusty) and then try getting it in your car..that extra 1' might make the difference...IMO.

Originally posted by Zerosk8r455@Mar 8 2003, 02:01 AM
Here..this is the answer to all your problems...Stop longboarding..buy yourself a nice 6'0" like mine...preferrably a C5 (Rusty) and then try getting it in your car..that extra 1' might make the difference...IMO.

HOW DARE YOU BLASPHEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

long boarders rule.

and umm last time i checked....a 7' board isnt really considered a long board.

try 10'

Originally posted by karnash+Mar 8 2003, 03:03 AM-->
Zerosk8r455
@Mar 8 2003, 02:01 AM

long boarders rule.

try 10'

well, it sure as hell isn't a short board. i'm with Zerosk8r455, get yourself a short board and actually surf. if you just wanna chill and go "weeeeeeee", buy a god damn boogey board... better yet, get yourself some fruitboots :ghey: .

Originally posted by lark1000@Mar 8 2003, 01:45 AM
Are you saying that you have the padded ones that attach to the roof and strap that run into the cabin where they tighten? Did you have that on the truck? The roof on a pickup isnt much bigger or smaller than on a del sol. And you said it worked ok? Im just afraid that being ther roof is so small that when I drive the board will either catch to much wind undneith and flip up in the air and break or even force down and break

yea i have the padded ones that run into the cabin. i use the same one for the truck and my civic they work fine, i just put them one the civic since i am going out in bout 20 minutes. the civic is a 2 door by the way. the truck was easlier since it is a dodge quad cab 4x4. The rack one the civic seems to be tight enough and looks to work. I have Two boards, a 6'7 and and 7'10 and they both work fine with it. i have the same fear about the board getting airborn. it hasnt happened yet, i just drive alittle more carefull with my baby on board. lol

Originally posted by kylemarhx+Mar 8 2003, 04:04 AM-->
Originally posted by karnash@Mar 8 2003, 03:03 AM
Zerosk8r455

long boarders rule.

try 10'

well, it sure as hell isn't a short board. i'm with Zerosk8r455, get yourself a short board and actually surf. if you just wanna chill and go "weeeeeeee", buy a god damn boogey board... better yet, get yourself some fruitboots :ghey: .

no comment.

wait i am going to say something, even if he gets lets say a 6 foot board, did you read where he states that he has a del sol it still is going to be sticking out the roof or window area. which is still besides the point when it rains and what not. boogie boarders are :puke: :ghey: . all they do is get in the way.

since i said get in the way, funny story, my girlfriend wanted to go out surfing with me and learn so i was like cool i suppose i can teach you. so the next day that the surf is up i say lets go. we go out there and i tell her how to just catch a wave and belly ride it in, so she gets used to going with the wave. she did this a few times. well one time she did it and i was riding the next wave in all the way to the shore. she thought she could meet me half way while i was still riding in coming right towards me. i was like what the hell i am going start towards her and she is not moving. so i cut back trying to avoid her and right then the board shoots out from under me and nails her in the chin. she didnt feel anything she said but it gave her a gash in her face about a inch long. i give her my rash gaurd to stop the bleeding until i got to the car and i fixed it all up. in the end she got 13 stichies and i found it hiliours but wrong.

Why can't you justy take some of those straps that have the metal slamps that you like open and close to tighten? Put some foam on your roof, put the board on top of the foam and strap the sonabitch down?
That's gotta look funny though seein a board on top of a sol since it's nearly as long as the sol, if not longer.

Originally posted by DazedCivic99+Mar 8 2003, 11:53 AM-->
Originally posted by kylemarhx@Mar 8 2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by karnash@Mar 8 2003, 03:03 AM
Zerosk8r455

long boarders rule.

try 10'

no comment.

wait i am going to say something, even if he gets lets say a 6 foot board, did you read where he states that he has a del sol it still is going to be sticking out the roof or window area. which is still besides the point when it rains and what not. boogie boarders are :puke: :ghey: . all they do is get in the way.

since i said get in the way, funny story, my girlfriend wanted to go out surfing with me and learn so i was like cool i suppose i can teach you. so the next day that the surf is up i say lets go. we go out there and i tell her how to just catch a wave and belly ride it in, so she gets used to going with the wave. she did this a few times. well one time she did it and i was riding the next wave in all the way to the shore. she thought she could meet me half way while i was still riding in coming right towards me. i was like what the hell i am going start towards her and she is not moving. so i cut back trying to avoid her and right then the board shoots out from under me and nails her in the chin. she didnt feel anything she said but it gave her a gash in her face about a inch long. i give her my rash gaurd to stop the bleeding until i got to the car and i fixed it all up. in the end she got 13 stichies and i found it hiliours but wrong.

spongers (boggie boarders for those of u who arent in cali)
piss me off. BUT seeing as i surf @ indicator and bluffs
theres not too many of those pests out there....

I work at a surf shop and you have two opinions. Either get a soft rack system that you can put on and remove as you please. I would suggest the FCS system. Or you can get a hard rack such as Yakima that aren't really ment to be taken on or off too much.

Where are you located?

Chris

Back