Attention elitest pigs..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The threats have faded away, and are mostly "at such and such meet my boyfriend will kick your ass", and "why don't you shut the fuck up you asshole or your car is gonna get it" type of emails. Lately they have cut back. I promised to post up all threats I get in the lounge now. I lost some with a board changeover a while back, and a mistaken deletion of my whole inbox.

Otherwise it's mostly Martine now chewing off my ear from about 4 years ago.

Gratz!

home ownership rocks!

(except when the furnace goes out, and you are out 2k, which just happened to me very recently, still hooking gas into it and bringing it up to code right now)

Appliances and equipment don't bother me in the slightest. I can handle sensor failures along the highway in the rain, I can handle a furnace popping a component in the dry.

fire codes for homes ya they are If a home falls withing x feet of propertyline you must have fire rated drywall from foundation to shingles. In the condos i just did we had to install an exterior foam sprinkle on every single building ( provide a burn prof time of 5 hrs) In alberat our codes are getting worse buy the mounth

The doors in the bathrooms of commercial or office buildings here have to have burn of 5 hours.

ya know what i just realized?

we can no longer use the "your opinion doesn't count- you don't own property" defense any mor e:(

you don't just bird mouth a 2*10 and nail them up. A 2x8 was bird mouthd and raised to peak 2' lower than the existing top cord, then attached with drop join the new cor to the top cord, then the old nottoms are cut out. An a shade tree engineer ? This home cost 1mill plus, so no corners were cut. Our building standards are 100x better than the shit you have down there.

But how did you sister the joints together? Gang plates like the factory? What'd you land the trusses on? The walls, then cut the base out?

100x better? Fuck. You guys probably don't even do all thread foundation tie downs from the foundation to every pack on every corner, and every beam pack. But then again. That's how I build it. Now how underbuilt it can be to pass inspection.

"That's how I build it. Now how underbuilt it can be to pass inspection. "

Adverowned

:) Honestly, I didn't even see the typo. But you should get the real thing printed on business cards.

But how did you sister the joints together? Gang plates like the factory? What'd you land the trusses on? The walls, then cut the base out?

100x better? Fuck. You guys probably don't even do all thread foundation tie downs from the foundation to every pack on every corner, and every beam pack. But then again. That's how I build it. Now how underbuilt it can be to pass inspection.

gang plates dont work in a stick built aplication. Nails and 3/4 plywood on both side joind by pl and 3" screws 3*3". As for the wall you cut a brids mouth and twist and hammer it in. And as for tie in all we really are, rafter tie downs, to the walls. We have 0 risk for tornados or huricans ect. As for under built I have never and will never cut a corner, the enginer cost more than a city inspection. But with a 6-8 mounth backlog in the city, the enginer save mounths of waiting

Update on the closing:

I was hesitant to report on "How to do a closing" because I wasn't done, and I expect people and banks to pull shit out of their ass.

Here is what happened:

I was told from my first bank guy that I was looking at $8500 in closing costs. After negotiating the seller to cover $5000 of that, I was sitting pretty.

But during my latest call with the company the closing shot up to almost $14,000 - As predicted. Leaving me with a $9000 or so closing cost, not including lawyer and inspection, yadda yadda. So I was back up to $17,000 to get into this house.

Here is the important lesson: Once you've been approved by a bank, even a pre-approval, they WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY. At anytime you can back out and say "Thanks, but no thanks - I have other offers" (When banks compete !)

They will drag you closer and closer to the closing date so as to scare you into taking it. Until the very last moment when you NEED them and you can't back out (or lose the house).

So when you get your acceptances, you MUST GET SEVERAL. Get as many as you can, it's free and it only hits your credit once. Keep those acceptances on you all the way up to the closing bargainning table. You can back out at any time. They need you.

Well I calmly told them "I don't want this house that much" and thanked them for their time. The closing costs fell to about $6000 real quick. I'll try to get them down more when I get the truth in lending and work out the numbers.

If I don't like the numbers, I'll carry on with someone else. Always be prepared to walk away from the table.

But, like I said - I'm not done yet. I expect THIS figure to double before the end, and I'll muscle it out again I'm sure. When I do close, I 'll do a little write up on how the math works and shit like that.

About to tell finance company to stuff it up their ass in ... 5...4...3....2...

They marked "May" have to pay pre penalty . Won't make it "Will Not". They claim it's for interest. I don't believe them.

So I'll walk away. See just how serious they are.

So I spent all friday with the inspector - best $500 I ever spent.

The roof isn't as advertised - it's quite the opposite. It's about 20 years old and crumbling. The stone foundation is crumbling at the load bearing wall, and he saw daylight through the north wall. The mortar was mostly gone. The furnace chimney was eroded away at the base, and the chimney for the fireplace needed remortered. The driveway sloped toward the house and the bilco appears to flood routinely. No bugs though.

so I went back, asked for less, the owners were embarassed about the roof and they offered to reduce the price $1000. I walked away from the table.

So I ditched the deal today. The search continues (*I have to convince my girlfriend to like the 3 bedroom raised ranch we saw with the redone Garage :))

So I spent all friday with the inspector - best $500 I ever spent.

The roof isn't as advertised - it's quite the opposite. It's about 20 years old and crumbling. The stone foundation is crumbling at the load bearing wall, and he saw daylight through the north wall. The mortar was mostly gone. The furnace chimney was eroded away at the base, and the chimney for the fireplace needed remortered. The driveway sloped toward the house and the bilco appears to flood routinely. No bugs though.

so I went back, asked for less, the owners were embarassed about the roof and they offered to reduce the price $1000. I walked away from the table.

So I ditched the deal today. The search continues (*I have to convince my girlfriend to like the 3 bedroom raised ranch we saw with the redone Garage :))

Good call man. THank god you didn't get fucked.

I'm gonna have to bookmark this thread for future home shopping reference.

Back