Attn all Nissan/240SX junkies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

OK so I am looking forward to getting my Civic done... possibly sponsored by Extreme Dimensions and put in SEMA, that kind of thing. After that, total sellage for money to do what I wanted all along - a S13 240SX fastback wit teh KA24DE-T!

So my question is... what of all this HICAS garbage? Is it just that - garbage? Should I avoid cars with HICAS, and if so, why? Can you simply "turn it off"?

Any info on HICAS would be appreciated... I'm looking at a clean, white S13 fastback with low miles and a good motor, but it has HICAS (and an LSD), so I need to know about teh HICAS!

put in sema? how are you going to be put in a non-profit group? lol

HICAS = rear wheel steering
aviod it like the plague unless your goal of the car is an all out road course machine.
it sucks at everything else.

turning it off is about $1000 worth of work/parts, and its still got the added weight there.

Extreme Dimensions saw pics of the car, the owner called my installer and said he might be interested in putting my car in their booth at the SEMA show in vegas.

Basically my goal with the car is to make a monster KA24 turbo. I plan to use the money I get from the Civic to spend about 3-5k on the car (I want to start with one in nice shape and they're kinda rare over here) and the entirety of the rest of the money will go to the engine/wheels/drivetrain/suspension. I hope to either a: produce enough power to at least put the "crazy eights rice patrol" in their place, or b: at least run on them. Most of them have Camaros and Firebirds and think that just because they have displacement, they are the big shit.

Anyway, I don't really want to make a drift car - more of a traditional race car... speed and handling, you know, that kinda thing.

Gonna have to argue with you on that one, Brian. The KA is only bad because of poor rods and pistons - slap some good shit in there and it will handle some serious power.

go all out rb26dett....you would burn those assholes. plus im sure you would be able to get sponsored since nobody ever does that swap.

rb25 would be cheaper i think, just 100cc less then rb26. cant hicas be disabled with just a rod or something? i remember seeing in the stillen catalog they sell some sort of rod that eliminates hicas.

yeah the rb25 would be cheaper but i believe the hp difference is pretty big between the two.. not 100% so dont quote me. also the rb25 is a single turbo and the rb26 is double. A nice t78 upgrade and that 240 would be one of the fastest in the country!

I looked into the RB26DETT... they're really expensive for a front clip, which is what I'd need due to the lack of an available "complete swap" kit... And you're right about the RB25DET, it's got about 80 HP less than the RB26DETT. I can only assume it's because the RB26 has TT and the other doesn't. How else can you explain a mere 100cc displacement difference and a jump from 260HP to 340HP...

Any one know where I can get a RB26DETT swap "on the cheap"? Fuck that... anyone know where I can get one AT ALL??

wreck one of motorex's car and come back the next day and be like "damn that car is messed up, wanna sell me the engine?" :p

btw i thought the skyline motor was more like 300-320whp, but rated from the factory at 280... at least for the vspec II. the large different is probally how much boost theyre running. i wonder if the 2.7liter stroker kits will fit in the rb25. hmmmm.

Yeah I had my figures messed up. It's about 320-330, but rated a 275... liars. ;)

Anyway, this is looking nicer and nicer... fuck the KA, I'm going RB. :D

After some further research (really bored at work), I've come to the conclusion that due to constraints in the engine bay (steering on the "wrong" side, overall cramped conditions) the RB26DETT will not be a feasible transplant. Due to the steering column being on the left instead of the right, the column totally interferes with the TT setup. Sure, one could do a single turbo changeover, but I don't really want to modify the engine if it's going to be an RB26DETT - I'm sure it would be pretty expensive to change it to a single turbo anyway. SO -

RB25DET it is. It's already single-turbo, it's a hair smaller than the RB26DETT, and it's a little bit cheaper from the getgo. Anyone have any observations?

the rb25 and the rb 26 motors are VERY different.

different blocks, different bore, different stroke, different heads, different just about everything.

i know the ka sucks- i have one. its dead at 5k. redline is at 6800. theres no top end. none. its heavy, its buly, and its really, not a performance motor at all...

Well yes, I know they're different. Which would you stuff in an S13? If the RB26 HAS to be modded to single-turbo, then it's out. Can't afford to do that.

if you can't afford to convert to single turbo, frankly, i don't think you can afford to do either.

youre talking 3500-5500 ish for the rb25-rb26 respectively for the clip.

mounts, downpipe - 1000
custom rad, custom hood or aftermarket intake manfiold (will hit hood)- 1000+
custom driveshaft from mckinney motorsposrts, 700

blah blah.. i priced it out before.

if i bought the rb25 for 4000 shipped, was 100% complete, working, and had everything on it, it would cost just under 9k to get it in the car and running properly.

Then, there's re-wriing your ENTIRE car. nissans aren't like hodnas- they use 1 huge harness. so, its either, your motor runs and you have no dash, cluster, taillights, or you ahve lights, and a cluster, but your motor doesn't turn over. your choice.

just do an sr black top from the 180sx

Wow, I hadn't realized it was that complicated... Isn't the SR20DET from the S15 the best though? Or are all the SR20s roughly the same?

Actually, no, I never thought about the CA18... I was under the impression that the SR20 was the end-all swap for the 240

i'd still go with the damn KA man. Big head work, rods pistons and turbo kit. screw all the swap crap. the head work on that KA will really open up some power. i promise.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 29 2004, 03:20 PM
Wow, I hadn't realized it was that complicated... Isn't the SR20DET from the S15 the best though? Or are all the SR20s roughly the same?
[post=369927]Quoted post[/post]​

the s15 motor is like $6000, the 6 speed tranny won't fit on an s13 without extensive mods (but will clear ans14 chassis) and a s13/s14 sr20 5-seepd tranny will not bolt to an s15 sr20 block.

Back